Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Training for a marathon

Posted by Ann L. on 9/27/01 at 10:49 (061726)

Hi!

I am in the midst of training for the NYC Marathon. Things have been great so far and last Sunday (4 days ago) we ran 18 miles...and I felt GREAT! But afterward my right foot really started to hurt. My husband found the http://heelspurs.com site and I must admit, it sounds like that might be my problem. Here's my dilemma - We are supposed to run 24 miles this weekend (in two days). I ran 4 yesterday...successfully...but with the constant dull pain. Today my foot seems no worse...but no better either. I'm afraid to miss the 24 miler in my training (our last long run - the marathon is about 4 weeks away), but also worried about doing more injury. Advice?

Re: Training for a marathon

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/27/01 at 20:58 (061761)

There is certainly a risk of injuring things more. Taping your foot with one of the tapings used for plantar fasciitis, eg. low dye, may be one way to protect things. Considering what you have at stake, an appointment with a professional may be a good idea.
Ed

Ann L. on 10/04/01 at 11:20 (062220)

Thanks, Ed! I did end up going to a local podiatrist 6 days ago. He did a thorough exam and took x-rays. Turns out I don't have PF, but have tendonitis, a pinched nerve, and a possible stress fracture!! I return tomorrow to his office to have another set of x-rays. That will tell him if the line on the x-ray is an old fracture (that I never knew about) or a new one. If it is old, he's going to work with me to get me to my marathon...yay!

thanks, again,
-Ann

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/27/01 at 20:58 (061761)

There is certainly a risk of injuring things more. Taping your foot with one of the tapings used for plantar fasciitis, eg. low dye, may be one way to protect things. Considering what you have at stake, an appointment with a professional may be a good idea.
Ed

Ann L. on 10/04/01 at 11:20 (062220)

Thanks, Ed! I did end up going to a local podiatrist 6 days ago. He did a thorough exam and took x-rays. Turns out I don't have PF, but have tendonitis, a pinched nerve, and a possible stress fracture!! I return tomorrow to his office to have another set of x-rays. That will tell him if the line on the x-ray is an old fracture (that I never knew about) or a new one. If it is old, he's going to work with me to get me to my marathon...yay!

thanks, again,
-Ann