Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

WOW....incredible THIRD opinion!

Posted by Claudia on 9/27/01 at 18:31 (061756)

This is really for the Doc's who were so helpful in the beginning of my journey in January of this year. I had both a bunionectomy & EPF done at the same time; months and months went by and the pain in my heel was excruciating, just as it had been before the EPF. I was a good patient! I followed all the doc's orders, did six weeks of PT, took celebrex, iced and stretched til the cows came home. Now I have six cows but that's another story......Anyway, by May the podiatrist said, 'alright, it's time for an MRI'....it showed that both procedures went well, there was even less scar tissue for that point after surgery than most people have, but there seemed to be trapped inflammation near the bursa in the heel. SO....another procedure, aspiration of what turned out to be a hematoma, then several cortisone shots. I was great for about six weeks, then the heel pain came back, with a vengeance. We kept trying NSAID's, to no avail, and the podiatrist finally decided to try to get me an appointment with a rheumatologist because in his opinion there was 'something else going on.' Oh wait, I forgot....first I went to see an orthopedic doc for a second opinion....he said there was nothing he could do to help me, it wasn't an ortho problem and he didn't even think it had anything to do with plantar fascitis. Ah, the plot thickens! Yesterday I met with the rheumatologist....and guess what? I most likely never even needed the EPF because.........are you ready for this?......what I have going on in the heel is called insertional achilles tendopathy and the REASON I have that is because I have ankylosing spondylitis. How's THAT for unexpected? Well actually not fully unusual though....now there is an explanation for all of my musculskeletal problems since college.....especially the sacroilliac dysfunction I have had all these years, and the elbow problems, and the cervical and thoracic spine pain. I am amazed. I finally found someone who could put it all together for me. And to think, the insertional achilles tendon thing is a result of this disease.....and I never even needed the EPF. Whew. I might as well just throw this in too....the 'A.S.' is ALSO related in some symptomatic way to the celiac disease I was diagnosed with two years ago. So I DON'T have fibromyalgia after all, but I have an answer!!!!!! Thank God....and thank you doc's for all your advice and insights. Actually, ofcourse, thank you to everyone who has responded to my postings. I imagine that in a couple of days the excitement of knowing what's wrong will wear off and I will not be thrilled with the diagnosis...it means getting my blood drawn alot and I am not fond of needles! But at least I KNOW now.

Re: WOW....incredible THIRD opinion!

BrianG on 9/27/01 at 19:38 (061757)

Hi Claudia,

After all you've been through, a few needles are going to be nothing. Just close your eyes and think about Hawaii, works for me :*) I printed out your memo so that I can look up your diagnosis (just to make sure I don't have it :*) So, you had an EPF for nothing. How do yo feel about that mis-diagnosis? I think you'd have a good case if you were to contact a lawyer. So many Pods seem to be just doing EPF's like they were hangnail removal. It's about time they realized that EPF is not the Holy Grail. Up to you Claudia, do what your heart tells you. Just don't forget all the poor people coming after you. I hope this new diagnosis will be better for you in the long run.

Best Wishes
BCG

Carol C on 9/27/01 at 20:29 (061758)

May I add... Medicine is not an exact science, and often it is hard to
diagnose a problem. I would give careful consideration to contacting
a lawyer unless I felt that my doctor intentionally misrepresented
a diagnosis to me with the intent to further harm me. I thank God
for physicians who care and put themselves in a position of liability
in order to alleviate the pain and suffering of others, and personally
I am reluctant to look for reasons for law suits unless there is the
obvious intent on the part of a physician to cause harm or obvious
neglect. I certianly would not want to be in their position, putting
my life, everything that I had spent my life working for and my family
and all that they have on the line for patients who did not appreciate
my efforts. NOW......DON'T MISREAD WHAT I SAID! IF A DOCTOR IS NEGLIGENT OR INTENTIONALLY CAUSES HARM, THEN YOU HAVE A CASE TO PROCEES WITH FILING
SUIT, but if it is an honest attempt at good medicine in a hard to
distingush diagnosis, give them the benefit of the doubt that they were
acting in your best interest. :-)

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/27/01 at 20:46 (061760)

Claudia:

Good too see that the rheumatologist found the cause of the problem--definitely a rheumatologic entity. One of the common threads in my posts is that conservative treatment cures most plantar fasciitis. If conservative treatment does not cure plantar fasciitis, the first question to ask is 'Is this really plantar fasciitis or possibly something else.' That question should, ideally, be answered before plantar fascial surgery.
Ed

carol c. on 9/27/01 at 22:17 (061769)

whoa! i have no intention of sueing the podiatrist!!!!! actually the rheumatologist said i may have ended up having to have a fasciotomy anyway....hard to tell. no the podiatrist is a sweetheart and, by the way, i am married to a doctor, an internist, who, right at this very moment, is facing a law suit...from a very desperately scared and angry man who is facing death from incurable stomach cancer; he says that he wouldn't be in this position if my husband had sent him to a GI doctor when he first met him in december...as it turns out my husband, an excellent, well-intentioned educated doc, thought it best to treat the mans' stomach pain with medication...which DID alleviate the pain, for awhile....my husband knows, in his heart, that an endoscopy in december would NOT have saved this gentleman from his current condition....and he knows the man is terrified and heart broken, and that when our daughter walks across the stage to receive her highschool diploma in four years, this man will not be in the audience with us to see his son do the same...I only tell this story to highlight the fact that I don't think for one minute that my podiatrist casually decided to do the EPF...in his educated opinion the heel pain was PF being caused by the severity of the bunion...as a matter of fact he told me right after the surgery that when he snipped the fascia it really SPROING!!!!!!!ed, which indicated it was tight i guess.....but it wasn't really an underlying problem. i think he will be just as shocked as i was to learn of the A.S. when he gets the letter from the rheumatologist. god, what an ordeal! but thanks for you response.

I meant CLAUDIA TO CAROL C.!!!!! on 9/27/01 at 22:22 (061770)

sorry, all worked up over here and my resonse to carol c. looks like it was submitted BY carol c.!

Re: Claudia

Carmen on 9/28/01 at 07:27 (061781)

FINALLY an answer. I TOTALLY unerstand how you feel. I too have suffered with OTHER pain in my entire body and had an unnecessary surgery (sciatic nerve entrapment release from the Piriformus Muscle) and now am finding out I have Nerve problems (radiculitis, Neuritis) from a possible Lower Lumbar Nerve compression or advanced Disk Disease. We don't know yet...MRI next week and EMG Oct. 31st. BUT when my feet didn't start to get better the first thing I did was start requesting blood work, diabetes, arthritis, Ankylosing Spond., etc. ANYThing that may cause my feet to be this bad.
After researching thigns to death I found a doc who would work with me....and a neur. too.
I can sympathize with you totally and am so glad you found a REASON for your misery. Makes all the difference in the world to start getting better!
Good luck....stay with us and keep up posted!

Claudia to Carmen on 9/28/01 at 07:37 (061783)

Thanks for responding. hmmmmm.....we share this unfortunate similarity i see! thank god for doctors who LISTEN and are good diagnosticians...i have discovered that not all have this skill perfected. but heck, i'm far from perfect in my work so.......GOOD LUCK to you. thanks again.

BrianG on 9/28/01 at 20:02 (061833)

Claudia, I'm not suggesting we should go looking for reasons to sue anyone. Your Pod probably performed your surgery by the book, and perfectly. Just like mine did. And you didn't need the surgery, and it appears I didn't need it either. I am no better, in fact I'm worse, from when I had EPF 2 years ago.

What I'm getting at is some of these Pods are much to quick to cut, period! You don't see the Orthos and other types of doctors using the EPF method like it's practiclly nothing, and you'll be walking within a couple of days. What I'm alluding to is that some Pods are abusing the EPF procedure. Yes, it does heal a few people. No, it will not help most people who have any other condition, in conjunction with PF. I'm wondering how many people who are diagnosed with PF, have PF and nothing else? Is it really that simple? I'm thinking not. I'm glad you like your Pod, even though he did needless surgery on you.

BCG

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/29/01 at 09:53 (061855)

This is a good example of where the flow sheet for heel pain would have been very valuable--perhaps avoiding a surgery. Still waiting for the ACFAS version to be published--October or November (at the latest).
Ed

claudia on 9/29/01 at 13:02 (061862)

what's the flow sheet?

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/02/01 at 00:03 (062036)

See prior discussions on this topic--use the search feature on this site. Most of the discussions were on the doctors board and should be in the first 2 to 3 pages.
Ed

BrianG on 9/27/01 at 19:38 (061757)

Hi Claudia,

After all you've been through, a few needles are going to be nothing. Just close your eyes and think about Hawaii, works for me :*) I printed out your memo so that I can look up your diagnosis (just to make sure I don't have it :*) So, you had an EPF for nothing. How do yo feel about that mis-diagnosis? I think you'd have a good case if you were to contact a lawyer. So many Pods seem to be just doing EPF's like they were hangnail removal. It's about time they realized that EPF is not the Holy Grail. Up to you Claudia, do what your heart tells you. Just don't forget all the poor people coming after you. I hope this new diagnosis will be better for you in the long run.

Best Wishes
BCG

Carol C on 9/27/01 at 20:29 (061758)

May I add... Medicine is not an exact science, and often it is hard to
diagnose a problem. I would give careful consideration to contacting
a lawyer unless I felt that my doctor intentionally misrepresented
a diagnosis to me with the intent to further harm me. I thank God
for physicians who care and put themselves in a position of liability
in order to alleviate the pain and suffering of others, and personally
I am reluctant to look for reasons for law suits unless there is the
obvious intent on the part of a physician to cause harm or obvious
neglect. I certianly would not want to be in their position, putting
my life, everything that I had spent my life working for and my family
and all that they have on the line for patients who did not appreciate
my efforts. NOW......DON'T MISREAD WHAT I SAID! IF A DOCTOR IS NEGLIGENT OR INTENTIONALLY CAUSES HARM, THEN YOU HAVE A CASE TO PROCEES WITH FILING
SUIT, but if it is an honest attempt at good medicine in a hard to
distingush diagnosis, give them the benefit of the doubt that they were
acting in your best interest. :-)

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/27/01 at 20:46 (061760)

Claudia:

Good too see that the rheumatologist found the cause of the problem--definitely a rheumatologic entity. One of the common threads in my posts is that conservative treatment cures most plantar fasciitis. If conservative treatment does not cure plantar fasciitis, the first question to ask is 'Is this really plantar fasciitis or possibly something else.' That question should, ideally, be answered before plantar fascial surgery.
Ed

carol c. on 9/27/01 at 22:17 (061769)

whoa! i have no intention of sueing the podiatrist!!!!! actually the rheumatologist said i may have ended up having to have a fasciotomy anyway....hard to tell. no the podiatrist is a sweetheart and, by the way, i am married to a doctor, an internist, who, right at this very moment, is facing a law suit...from a very desperately scared and angry man who is facing death from incurable stomach cancer; he says that he wouldn't be in this position if my husband had sent him to a GI doctor when he first met him in december...as it turns out my husband, an excellent, well-intentioned educated doc, thought it best to treat the mans' stomach pain with medication...which DID alleviate the pain, for awhile....my husband knows, in his heart, that an endoscopy in december would NOT have saved this gentleman from his current condition....and he knows the man is terrified and heart broken, and that when our daughter walks across the stage to receive her highschool diploma in four years, this man will not be in the audience with us to see his son do the same...I only tell this story to highlight the fact that I don't think for one minute that my podiatrist casually decided to do the EPF...in his educated opinion the heel pain was PF being caused by the severity of the bunion...as a matter of fact he told me right after the surgery that when he snipped the fascia it really SPROING!!!!!!!ed, which indicated it was tight i guess.....but it wasn't really an underlying problem. i think he will be just as shocked as i was to learn of the A.S. when he gets the letter from the rheumatologist. god, what an ordeal! but thanks for you response.

I meant CLAUDIA TO CAROL C.!!!!! on 9/27/01 at 22:22 (061770)

sorry, all worked up over here and my resonse to carol c. looks like it was submitted BY carol c.!

Carmen on 9/28/01 at 07:27 (061781)

FINALLY an answer. I TOTALLY unerstand how you feel. I too have suffered with OTHER pain in my entire body and had an unnecessary surgery (sciatic nerve entrapment release from the Piriformus Muscle) and now am finding out I have Nerve problems (radiculitis, Neuritis) from a possible Lower Lumbar Nerve compression or advanced Disk Disease. We don't know yet...MRI next week and EMG Oct. 31st. BUT when my feet didn't start to get better the first thing I did was start requesting blood work, diabetes, arthritis, Ankylosing Spond., etc. ANYThing that may cause my feet to be this bad.
After researching thigns to death I found a doc who would work with me....and a neur. too.
I can sympathize with you totally and am so glad you found a REASON for your misery. Makes all the difference in the world to start getting better!
Good luck....stay with us and keep up posted!

Claudia to Carmen on 9/28/01 at 07:37 (061783)

Thanks for responding. hmmmmm.....we share this unfortunate similarity i see! thank god for doctors who LISTEN and are good diagnosticians...i have discovered that not all have this skill perfected. but heck, i'm far from perfect in my work so.......GOOD LUCK to you. thanks again.

BrianG on 9/28/01 at 20:02 (061833)

Claudia, I'm not suggesting we should go looking for reasons to sue anyone. Your Pod probably performed your surgery by the book, and perfectly. Just like mine did. And you didn't need the surgery, and it appears I didn't need it either. I am no better, in fact I'm worse, from when I had EPF 2 years ago.

What I'm getting at is some of these Pods are much to quick to cut, period! You don't see the Orthos and other types of doctors using the EPF method like it's practiclly nothing, and you'll be walking within a couple of days. What I'm alluding to is that some Pods are abusing the EPF procedure. Yes, it does heal a few people. No, it will not help most people who have any other condition, in conjunction with PF. I'm wondering how many people who are diagnosed with PF, have PF and nothing else? Is it really that simple? I'm thinking not. I'm glad you like your Pod, even though he did needless surgery on you.

BCG

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/29/01 at 09:53 (061855)

This is a good example of where the flow sheet for heel pain would have been very valuable--perhaps avoiding a surgery. Still waiting for the ACFAS version to be published--October or November (at the latest).
Ed

claudia on 9/29/01 at 13:02 (061862)

what's the flow sheet?

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/02/01 at 00:03 (062036)

See prior discussions on this topic--use the search feature on this site. Most of the discussions were on the doctors board and should be in the first 2 to 3 pages.
Ed