Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ultra sound " Not for Me"

Posted by Angie on 9/27/01 at 21:42 (061768)

Has anyone out there had excruating pain after having ultra sound. I have had it twice and both times it puts me of my feet for a bit. I have had a MRI so I do not have a stress fracture. I do have a heel spur. Dr. Ed do you have any Ideas?

Re: Ultra sound " Not for Me"

Pauline on 9/28/01 at 08:57 (061790)

Angie,
I know exactly what you are talking about. During this last bout of P.F.
I could not tolerate any ultra sound either. The inflammation would flare and the pain was so bad I couldn't put pressure on my feet at all. I thought they had turn the machine up too high, so each time I went back and complained they would lower the machine. It never helped and I finally told them no more ultra sound. I never had this experience any other time I had P.F. Lot of ice seemed to bring things back to where they were before the Ultra sound.

You could try having the machine turned down or not using the pulsing action to see it that helps. If not then I just say no more ultra sound and try the Iontophoreses instead. You may get some relief with that.

P.F. seems to have many faces that can change from day to day. I hope you feel better soon.

Angie on 9/28/01 at 09:52 (061794)

Pauline thanks so very much for your reply. When I ask the docs about this nobody has an answer. They just look at me like I'm crazy, but 15 months into this I truly believe I'm getting there. I have tried everything but surgery. It has been recomended that I try the ESWT. How can I do this if ultra sound gives me such a severe reaction? Pauline I was wondering what did you meant when you said, 'During the last bout of PF' . Does this mean you actually have periods that are normal? 'Oh, to be normal ' If so what do you do to get to that point and do you have a job where you are not on your feet.? I've been of work for 5 months and I have not improved at all. I just can't see me returning to this work as I'm on my feet all day.

Re: To Angie

Pauline on 9/28/01 at 12:52 (061808)

Angie,
This is my third bout of P.F. The first time it hit was in 1993. That one lasted 2 years. I was pain free for almost 2 years before I got it again and that time it lasted about a year and a half. This is lucky number 3 which I picked up in April 2000 so I'm in almost 15 months already. My feet are much better. Most of my pain was concentrated throughout the entire arch area in both feet. I've tried just about everything short of ESWT and surgery. I've never been able to wear orthotics although I've had 3 custom pairs made. I've done night splints actually wearing out my original pair so I had to buy new ones when this case of P.F. hit.

The one thing that helped me the most this time was Dr. Reynolds Jade cream. I'm sure you have read about it on this site. I order it over the internet at http://www.jade168balm.com . Several heelspur regulars are in his trial right now. It has helped some and some have had no help from it at all. Everyone is slightly different.

If the ultra sound hurts, I certainly wouldn't have any more. In addition to P.F. you could also have some tentinitis or something making your nerves more sensitive.

You might consider going for a second opinion to confirm your diagnosis. I personally would try to avoid surgery because of the number of failed surgeries I read about on this board. You might try the cream first it's the cheapest and see if you get relief, then consider ESWT before surgery.

Remember no surgery is without risk and no one will guarantee that you will be pain free after you have it done. There is no snip, snip walk out the door P.F. surgery. It will take you months to heal.

My advice is make surgery your very last choice. P.F. takes a long time to go away. It's just the nature of the beast. In the mean time it drags you down, causes depression and a lot of other things. The good news is that you found Scott's board and we're all hear to help you anyway we can. Laugh with us, cry with us and scream here too. We've all been there and we understand. I wish you a speedy recovery because having P.F. is certainly no fun.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/28/01 at 18:30 (061821)

Angie:

Ultrasound will almost always make the area it is applied to more tender for about a day or two after application. By the 5 or 6th application, the tenderness greatly subsides. We generally apply ice to the area in which ultrasound was applied for about 10 to 15 minutes.

Initially, the amount of power used in ultrasound is modest. As inflammation decreases more power is tolerated. Ultrasound is generally used in combination with other modalities which are more soothing and less agressive early in treatment.
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/28/01 at 20:54 (061837)

Ultrasound and ESWT are two different types of treatments. You could always
have a local anesthetic with ESWT if necessary. There are some sections on the ESWT board that explain the different between the two. There is no heat with ESWT. It could be the heat effect from ultrsound that is driving your foot to pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/28/01 at 20:56 (061838)

One more idea . You can use ultrasound with hydrotherapy . This may help you tolerated the procedure.

Dr. David S. Wander on 9/29/01 at 17:17 (061891)

Ultrasound may cause some initial discomfort as per Dr. Ed's comments. However, I've rarely seen 'intense pain' caused from or during an ultrasound treatment, UNLESS it is not being performed properly. Lowering the dosage or changing to a pulse frequency will not help if the operator isn't moving the ultrasound head properly. If left in one area too long it can cause burning, pain or even damage. Even if the operator of the ultrasound is moving it in circles, if the circles are very small and located in a small area it may cause too much concentration in an area and result in pain, burning or damage to the tissues.

Pauline on 9/28/01 at 08:57 (061790)

Angie,
I know exactly what you are talking about. During this last bout of P.F.
I could not tolerate any ultra sound either. The inflammation would flare and the pain was so bad I couldn't put pressure on my feet at all. I thought they had turn the machine up too high, so each time I went back and complained they would lower the machine. It never helped and I finally told them no more ultra sound. I never had this experience any other time I had P.F. Lot of ice seemed to bring things back to where they were before the Ultra sound.

You could try having the machine turned down or not using the pulsing action to see it that helps. If not then I just say no more ultra sound and try the Iontophoreses instead. You may get some relief with that.

P.F. seems to have many faces that can change from day to day. I hope you feel better soon.

Angie on 9/28/01 at 09:52 (061794)

Pauline thanks so very much for your reply. When I ask the docs about this nobody has an answer. They just look at me like I'm crazy, but 15 months into this I truly believe I'm getting there. I have tried everything but surgery. It has been recomended that I try the ESWT. How can I do this if ultra sound gives me such a severe reaction? Pauline I was wondering what did you meant when you said, 'During the last bout of PF' . Does this mean you actually have periods that are normal? 'Oh, to be normal ' If so what do you do to get to that point and do you have a job where you are not on your feet.? I've been of work for 5 months and I have not improved at all. I just can't see me returning to this work as I'm on my feet all day.

Re: To Angie

Pauline on 9/28/01 at 12:52 (061808)

Angie,
This is my third bout of P.F. The first time it hit was in 1993. That one lasted 2 years. I was pain free for almost 2 years before I got it again and that time it lasted about a year and a half. This is lucky number 3 which I picked up in April 2000 so I'm in almost 15 months already. My feet are much better. Most of my pain was concentrated throughout the entire arch area in both feet. I've tried just about everything short of ESWT and surgery. I've never been able to wear orthotics although I've had 3 custom pairs made. I've done night splints actually wearing out my original pair so I had to buy new ones when this case of P.F. hit.

The one thing that helped me the most this time was Dr. Reynolds Jade cream. I'm sure you have read about it on this site. I order it over the internet at http://www.jade168balm.com . Several heelspur regulars are in his trial right now. It has helped some and some have had no help from it at all. Everyone is slightly different.

If the ultra sound hurts, I certainly wouldn't have any more. In addition to P.F. you could also have some tentinitis or something making your nerves more sensitive.

You might consider going for a second opinion to confirm your diagnosis. I personally would try to avoid surgery because of the number of failed surgeries I read about on this board. You might try the cream first it's the cheapest and see if you get relief, then consider ESWT before surgery.

Remember no surgery is without risk and no one will guarantee that you will be pain free after you have it done. There is no snip, snip walk out the door P.F. surgery. It will take you months to heal.

My advice is make surgery your very last choice. P.F. takes a long time to go away. It's just the nature of the beast. In the mean time it drags you down, causes depression and a lot of other things. The good news is that you found Scott's board and we're all hear to help you anyway we can. Laugh with us, cry with us and scream here too. We've all been there and we understand. I wish you a speedy recovery because having P.F. is certainly no fun.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/28/01 at 18:30 (061821)

Angie:

Ultrasound will almost always make the area it is applied to more tender for about a day or two after application. By the 5 or 6th application, the tenderness greatly subsides. We generally apply ice to the area in which ultrasound was applied for about 10 to 15 minutes.

Initially, the amount of power used in ultrasound is modest. As inflammation decreases more power is tolerated. Ultrasound is generally used in combination with other modalities which are more soothing and less agressive early in treatment.
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/28/01 at 20:54 (061837)

Ultrasound and ESWT are two different types of treatments. You could always
have a local anesthetic with ESWT if necessary. There are some sections on the ESWT board that explain the different between the two. There is no heat with ESWT. It could be the heat effect from ultrsound that is driving your foot to pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/28/01 at 20:56 (061838)

One more idea . You can use ultrasound with hydrotherapy . This may help you tolerated the procedure.

Dr. David S. Wander on 9/29/01 at 17:17 (061891)

Ultrasound may cause some initial discomfort as per Dr. Ed's comments. However, I've rarely seen 'intense pain' caused from or during an ultrasound treatment, UNLESS it is not being performed properly. Lowering the dosage or changing to a pulse frequency will not help if the operator isn't moving the ultrasound head properly. If left in one area too long it can cause burning, pain or even damage. Even if the operator of the ultrasound is moving it in circles, if the circles are very small and located in a small area it may cause too much concentration in an area and result in pain, burning or damage to the tissues.