Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

? for a doc/suggestions

Posted by Mike M on 9/28/01 at 08:13 (061786)

Hi board, hoping all is fine.
OK, heres my question(s). I had TTS/PF on 02/07/01 was off work 7 weeks. Had scar tissue removal surgery 06/22/01 off work again. Still suffering somewhat.
When I was recouping from my last surgery, I told my wife (a nurse) about pain in my left ankle. My surgeries were in the right ankle/foot. We more or less shurgged it off.
Now, weeks later, my left ankle feels like someone put a C-clamp on it and continues to tighten the clamp. I checked for Tinells sign and dont feel anything, just a squeezing pain in the left ankle.
My wife suggestions are it may be because I am putting most of my weight on this side and favouring my right side due to the surgeries. She said I even walk leaning towards the left.
Im wondering, which she could be 100% right, should I have my POD check the left ankle when I return on 10/01?
Surely TTS doesnt affect BOTH? However, I dont have the seering pain, numbness, tingling etc that I had in the right. Just a awful squeezing type pain in the left.
Thoughts?

Mike M

Re: ? for a doc/suggestions

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/28/01 at 19:10 (061829)

Definitely have your doc take a look on your next appt. Tarsal tunnel can affect both sides. If you have had absolutely no problems on the left side until you placed additional weight on it after surgery, then it is likely that your wife is correct.
Ed

Re: I have same symptoms

Jana on 9/30/01 at 19:14 (061939)

You mentioned questioning your symptoms because you have pain in your ankle but do not have the same numbness and tingling you did in the other foot. I don't know if this information is useful but those are my only symptoms as well and they are calling it TTS because I have a positive nerve conduction study. I do not have a positive Tinel's sign, no numbness, no tingling, no burning. Just pain at tarsal tunnel area. Also, yes it is possible to have it in both feet. I do. And, according to my surgeons scheduler, several other people do too.
Would you please tell me more about this scar tissue removal surgery? Are you talking about the scar tissue that you developed from the TTS surgery at the incision? What do they do for the removal? Doesn't the removal surgery cause more scar tissue?

Mike M on 10/02/01 at 09:48 (062058)

Jana

I had my first two surgeries in Feb 2001. I developed bad scar tissue at the longer surgery site which my POD said since my nerves are so close to the skin was causing similiar symptoms to what I had TTS/PF for. Thus in June he reopened the original site and removed the scar tissue. It was somewhat worm like when you would feel it. From other testing, it was determined I have some sort of autoimmune problem - elevated white blood count, high sed rate, positive ANA test and various joint problems/pain. Being a male, my family doc and a rhuematologist said it was lupus like but again being a male, they termed it mixed connective tissue disease.
My POD had only had one prior case of excessive scar tissue formation where I guess the body is trying to fight off whatever was invaded.
It caused alot of pain, and since almost a total of 8 months have passed since my first operation, followed by another and more time in the cast, crutches, walker boot, etc - I now have pain in the ankle area of my 'Good' side - the left. My physical therapist believes it to be tendonitis and currently I am being treated for that on the left side. Seems it could be from favoring the right, putting more weight on the left, etc. Only time will tell.

Jana on 10/02/01 at 19:07 (062105)

So do they know what sort of autoimmune problem you have? What is an ANA test? Have you tested for lupus?

Mike M on 10/03/01 at 07:01 (062135)

Tests for LE factor (Lupus) were negative as was RA test (Rhematoid Artritis) test. However a doc at the Cleveland Clinic said that really doesnt mean squat - as people can have either disease and still show a negative test for it. ANA blood test is anti-nuclear antibody - it shows if positive one of three distinct patterns that signal a disease process. Mine was of the speckled pattern usually indicitive of lupus, rhematoid artritis, etc.
So far the only name given it is Mixed Connective Tissue disease.
Symptoms - most days none thank God now. It was severe joint pains, swollen lymph glands, night sweats, I had pluerisy twice, etc.
I had radiation treatments for Graves Disease (thyroid) while in the military in the late 1970's.

Re: Mike

Tammie on 10/03/01 at 08:53 (062146)

Hi, I see you went to Cleveland Clinic you must be close to us,we live outside of cleveland , Northeastern area of Ohio. Some of the things u said here relates to my husband and he has been diagnosed with RA a couple of years ago. He has the Night sweats,severe joint pains,along with many other symtoms. It seems when he has a flare up many things become involved!He was taking the remicade infusions for this but had to stop them. He is on Arava, and methrotrexate, among other medications.
I know that some of his meds make him more prone to certain things and his ability to fight infection,it is dificult at times. Now since they said you have mixed connective disease, do they give you any types of meds for this? Just curious.I do hope that you feel better soon, winter time seems to be the worse for his illness Ihope that it goes better for u!Take care

Mike M on 10/05/01 at 09:53 (062291)

Hello neighbor!
Actually I grew up in Cleveland but now live in Maryland. I go to an endocrinologist for thyroid disease who refered me to the Cleveland Clinic - top notch hospital. In fact I justed visited your fair city this year and have a lot of relatives still in the area from Medina County to North Royalton to the city itself! Im a die hard Tribe fan and can remember the old stadium with Sudden Sam McDowel pitching and a good night would be 5,000 in attendance! The downtown area has changed so much since the 1970's and is very beautiful now. I kinda miss being there.
As for meds, I have tried numerous ones - Naprosyn, Motrin, Volteran, Celebrex etc. Currently I am on Mobic - it seems ok, at least it doesnt bother the stomach. Prednisone for three days at a time when it gets real bad, but lately I havent needed that.
Now if I could just kick this darn TTS/PF!
No one knows winter but those who live in NE Ohio :)

Mike

tammie on 10/05/01 at 19:51 (062346)

Well hello then to u. I live more in the northeastern corner of Ohio. But know where you are talking about. And yes my family are tribe fans along with the browns lol they say they are not nor have been fair weather fans. Win or lose they love them . I have never been to stadium in the 40 + yrs I have lived here but my boys and hubby have been often and love it. Tho are disapointed in how they can not get to see browns as easy.

Some of the meds you have tried are things he has been on to but always with others, such as the arava and methrotrexate, remicade, etc. He liked Vioxx more then celebrex but seem to recall they are both basiclly the same but one easier on stomache? Mobic now I was on that for a few months.

I hear you on the pf and tts stuff I have to wonder sometimes if we really can kick it for good? I truly hope so and am waiting to be among those who do. The snow shovel will be awaiting us this winter, got to get the feet better to shovel lol.Take care and lots of luck!

Re: From Where????

Terry M on 10/08/01 at 09:07 (062459)

I saw Tammies msg that she is from northeastern Ohio, and Mike from
Maryland, I was just wondering here everyone is from. I live in Wiley
Ford, WV just outside of Cumberland, Maryland. My dr was Dr Theresa
Melody of the Brieloff Foot Center. I'd be interested in seeing the
geographic makeup. I look forward to hearing from everyone. TM

Mike M on 10/08/01 at 12:44 (062473)

Terry

Frostburg Maryland now, originally Cleveland, Oh.
I had Dr. Brieloff!!

kim on 10/08/01 at 20:22 (062504)

i see you had DR. Brieloff. did your feet get all better? i had tts release 9 months ago and it was unseccessful. i had an orthopaedic dr. do it. what is this dr? i have tts in both feet and am hunting a good dr. i go to a neurologist for a nerve conduction test to find out if it is pinched again. would appreciate an answer

Mike M on 10/09/01 at 07:03 (062523)

Kim
Dr Brieloff is a podiatrist / surgeon. I have never met a doc who is so caring towards his patients. I have never had a doc who would take the time to listen to what you have to say and also 'talk' to you as a person. Was surgery successful? Not sure. 8 months post op for TTS/PF and 3 1/2 months post op for scar tissue removal. His thought is for me to see a neurologist in Baltimore in case he is missing something. I fell and broke my foot 4 years ago, fractured 5th metatarsual completely off. The treating doc at that time looked at the xray and told me to wrap it in an ace bandage and hobble around on it for a week or two and see how it gets. Yeah right, two mornings later I had to literally crawl to the bathroom as I couldnt put any weight on it. Dr. B more or less asked me when I saw him who that fruitcake was.

Mike M

Kim on 10/09/01 at 20:10 (062578)

my doctor told me after 9 months i wasn't going to get any better. how long did your doctor tell you. i see a lot of you have had scar tissue removed. doesn't that keep building up and you have to have it removed again. do you have to go through the same operation for scar tissue removal as you did the first operation? i am startingto believe you don't get better. my doctor said tts doesn't get as good a result as carpal tunnel. Terry said about nerve by-pass. ever herd of it. maybe we should get the Doc's opinion on it. good luck in Baltimore. waiting for an answer.

Terry M on 10/12/01 at 13:20 (062856)

Kim, Dr. Melody actually did the surgury after Dr. Shaffei (Neuro) did the
Nerve COnduction Test. It has now been two weeks since my surgury, and I
have had little or no pain at all. Both drs are on Seton Drive in
Cumberland, Maryland. Good Luck!! TM

Re: ? for a doc/suggestions

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/28/01 at 19:10 (061829)

Definitely have your doc take a look on your next appt. Tarsal tunnel can affect both sides. If you have had absolutely no problems on the left side until you placed additional weight on it after surgery, then it is likely that your wife is correct.
Ed

Jana on 9/30/01 at 19:14 (061939)

You mentioned questioning your symptoms because you have pain in your ankle but do not have the same numbness and tingling you did in the other foot. I don't know if this information is useful but those are my only symptoms as well and they are calling it TTS because I have a positive nerve conduction study. I do not have a positive Tinel's sign, no numbness, no tingling, no burning. Just pain at tarsal tunnel area. Also, yes it is possible to have it in both feet. I do. And, according to my surgeons scheduler, several other people do too.
Would you please tell me more about this scar tissue removal surgery? Are you talking about the scar tissue that you developed from the TTS surgery at the incision? What do they do for the removal? Doesn't the removal surgery cause more scar tissue?

Mike M on 10/02/01 at 09:48 (062058)

Jana

I had my first two surgeries in Feb 2001. I developed bad scar tissue at the longer surgery site which my POD said since my nerves are so close to the skin was causing similiar symptoms to what I had TTS/PF for. Thus in June he reopened the original site and removed the scar tissue. It was somewhat worm like when you would feel it. From other testing, it was determined I have some sort of autoimmune problem - elevated white blood count, high sed rate, positive ANA test and various joint problems/pain. Being a male, my family doc and a rhuematologist said it was lupus like but again being a male, they termed it mixed connective tissue disease.
My POD had only had one prior case of excessive scar tissue formation where I guess the body is trying to fight off whatever was invaded.
It caused alot of pain, and since almost a total of 8 months have passed since my first operation, followed by another and more time in the cast, crutches, walker boot, etc - I now have pain in the ankle area of my 'Good' side - the left. My physical therapist believes it to be tendonitis and currently I am being treated for that on the left side. Seems it could be from favoring the right, putting more weight on the left, etc. Only time will tell.

Jana on 10/02/01 at 19:07 (062105)

So do they know what sort of autoimmune problem you have? What is an ANA test? Have you tested for lupus?

Mike M on 10/03/01 at 07:01 (062135)

Tests for LE factor (Lupus) were negative as was RA test (Rhematoid Artritis) test. However a doc at the Cleveland Clinic said that really doesnt mean squat - as people can have either disease and still show a negative test for it. ANA blood test is anti-nuclear antibody - it shows if positive one of three distinct patterns that signal a disease process. Mine was of the speckled pattern usually indicitive of lupus, rhematoid artritis, etc.
So far the only name given it is Mixed Connective Tissue disease.
Symptoms - most days none thank God now. It was severe joint pains, swollen lymph glands, night sweats, I had pluerisy twice, etc.
I had radiation treatments for Graves Disease (thyroid) while in the military in the late 1970's.

Tammie on 10/03/01 at 08:53 (062146)

Hi, I see you went to Cleveland Clinic you must be close to us,we live outside of cleveland , Northeastern area of Ohio. Some of the things u said here relates to my husband and he has been diagnosed with RA a couple of years ago. He has the Night sweats,severe joint pains,along with many other symtoms. It seems when he has a flare up many things become involved!He was taking the remicade infusions for this but had to stop them. He is on Arava, and methrotrexate, among other medications.
I know that some of his meds make him more prone to certain things and his ability to fight infection,it is dificult at times. Now since they said you have mixed connective disease, do they give you any types of meds for this? Just curious.I do hope that you feel better soon, winter time seems to be the worse for his illness Ihope that it goes better for u!Take care

Mike M on 10/05/01 at 09:53 (062291)

Hello neighbor!
Actually I grew up in Cleveland but now live in Maryland. I go to an endocrinologist for thyroid disease who refered me to the Cleveland Clinic - top notch hospital. In fact I justed visited your fair city this year and have a lot of relatives still in the area from Medina County to North Royalton to the city itself! Im a die hard Tribe fan and can remember the old stadium with Sudden Sam McDowel pitching and a good night would be 5,000 in attendance! The downtown area has changed so much since the 1970's and is very beautiful now. I kinda miss being there.
As for meds, I have tried numerous ones - Naprosyn, Motrin, Volteran, Celebrex etc. Currently I am on Mobic - it seems ok, at least it doesnt bother the stomach. Prednisone for three days at a time when it gets real bad, but lately I havent needed that.
Now if I could just kick this darn TTS/PF!
No one knows winter but those who live in NE Ohio :)

Mike

tammie on 10/05/01 at 19:51 (062346)

Well hello then to u. I live more in the northeastern corner of Ohio. But know where you are talking about. And yes my family are tribe fans along with the browns lol they say they are not nor have been fair weather fans. Win or lose they love them . I have never been to stadium in the 40 + yrs I have lived here but my boys and hubby have been often and love it. Tho are disapointed in how they can not get to see browns as easy.

Some of the meds you have tried are things he has been on to but always with others, such as the arava and methrotrexate, remicade, etc. He liked Vioxx more then celebrex but seem to recall they are both basiclly the same but one easier on stomache? Mobic now I was on that for a few months.

I hear you on the pf and tts stuff I have to wonder sometimes if we really can kick it for good? I truly hope so and am waiting to be among those who do. The snow shovel will be awaiting us this winter, got to get the feet better to shovel lol.Take care and lots of luck!

Terry M on 10/08/01 at 09:07 (062459)

I saw Tammies msg that she is from northeastern Ohio, and Mike from
Maryland, I was just wondering here everyone is from. I live in Wiley
Ford, WV just outside of Cumberland, Maryland. My dr was Dr Theresa
Melody of the Brieloff Foot Center. I'd be interested in seeing the
geographic makeup. I look forward to hearing from everyone. TM

Mike M on 10/08/01 at 12:44 (062473)

Terry

Frostburg Maryland now, originally Cleveland, Oh.
I had Dr. Brieloff!!

kim on 10/08/01 at 20:22 (062504)

i see you had DR. Brieloff. did your feet get all better? i had tts release 9 months ago and it was unseccessful. i had an orthopaedic dr. do it. what is this dr? i have tts in both feet and am hunting a good dr. i go to a neurologist for a nerve conduction test to find out if it is pinched again. would appreciate an answer

Mike M on 10/09/01 at 07:03 (062523)

Kim
Dr Brieloff is a podiatrist / surgeon. I have never met a doc who is so caring towards his patients. I have never had a doc who would take the time to listen to what you have to say and also 'talk' to you as a person. Was surgery successful? Not sure. 8 months post op for TTS/PF and 3 1/2 months post op for scar tissue removal. His thought is for me to see a neurologist in Baltimore in case he is missing something. I fell and broke my foot 4 years ago, fractured 5th metatarsual completely off. The treating doc at that time looked at the xray and told me to wrap it in an ace bandage and hobble around on it for a week or two and see how it gets. Yeah right, two mornings later I had to literally crawl to the bathroom as I couldnt put any weight on it. Dr. B more or less asked me when I saw him who that fruitcake was.

Mike M

Kim on 10/09/01 at 20:10 (062578)

my doctor told me after 9 months i wasn't going to get any better. how long did your doctor tell you. i see a lot of you have had scar tissue removed. doesn't that keep building up and you have to have it removed again. do you have to go through the same operation for scar tissue removal as you did the first operation? i am startingto believe you don't get better. my doctor said tts doesn't get as good a result as carpal tunnel. Terry said about nerve by-pass. ever herd of it. maybe we should get the Doc's opinion on it. good luck in Baltimore. waiting for an answer.

Terry M on 10/12/01 at 13:20 (062856)

Kim, Dr. Melody actually did the surgury after Dr. Shaffei (Neuro) did the
Nerve COnduction Test. It has now been two weeks since my surgury, and I
have had little or no pain at all. Both drs are on Seton Drive in
Cumberland, Maryland. Good Luck!! TM