Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

9 day post op form PFS, TTS, and heal spur surgury

Posted by Karma on 9/28/01 at 15:05 (061815)

I had my Surgury sept 19. I have been totaly non weight bearing on my foot.
I fournd out using a walker insted of crutches is a lot easyier. The pain is not been to bad but i take my meds before it gets to bad. When the went in I had more never damage than they thought. Getting my stitches out on monday and hopefully i can walk with my walking boot on hate depending on someone to help me to Bathroom etc...........All and all its not been to bad yet................I will keep you posted on my progress.

Re: 9 day post op form PFS, TTS, and heal spur surgury

cindyp on 9/28/01 at 17:32 (061818)

Well i havenot had quite as much 'fun' asyou did. But the thing is that wait and slow way down. DO not be in a big hurry to walk. The thing is your foot has experienced the trauma of having it opened up and stuff moved around and some stuff removed. It is traumatized and all the soreness and swelling needs to come down. TAKE it easy. I got frustrated with the crutches. But after stitches I waited one more week and then went to a cane. So TAKE YOUR TIME. BABY your foot. It will make it much easier.

karma on 9/30/01 at 19:01 (061938)

thanks keep in touch

Terry M on 10/02/01 at 11:02 (062066)

I had my surgury on 9/28, and I also have had little pain or disconfort,
but I also took the pain medication before any pain set in. I have tried
to be non-wt bearing on my foot, but I'm a 6'1'-350lbs male and it is very
hard. I called my doctors office today, and he stated that if I put weight
on this foot, I can rip the stitches (I got 10), and open the incission
exposing the nerve, and causing tremendous pain. Part of my inconvience has been stairs. I live in a two-level house with the bathroom upstairs
and no rails. I am very unstable on the crutches, and they don't seem to help me. I am going to look at a walker.
My dr also stated that the nerve was more imbedded than she thought and
her partner stated during my first post-op follow-up that 'there was a lot
of nerve damage.' I am just trying to hang in there and be patient. As far
as work goes, my doc says 6-8 weeks.

SonnyK on 10/02/01 at 21:16 (062117)

TerryM: I had TTS surgery on August 17 and I also have an upstairs bathroom. I practiced something before I had my surgery...sort of crawling up the stairs....pushing myself up with my good foot....not putting any weight on my surgery foot of course. The day of my surgery I was using this technique with no problem. Then I tried scooting up on my rear end..pushing myself up with the good foot....using my arms mostly. Maybe this idea will help you.

Re: Sonny, How are you doing?

Tammie on 10/02/01 at 21:54 (062121)

I was wondering how you were doing I see you had the surgery aug 17, I had it the end of aug and just wondered how it was going for u ? I hope you are doing much better. Hugs to u.

SonnyK on 10/02/01 at 22:38 (062125)

Hi Tammie:
Remember I posted recently and talked about my swelling and pain? I was going to call the doc...well he called me back on Friday and said to make an appointment for this week. I got in for this Thursday morning. Then, I was really shocked tonight about 8:00 p.m. when I got a call from him again. He was checking on me! Wow...made me feel good. He said he will see me on Thursday and to hang in there. I tried to push the kids in the wagon today because we had a great day here in Minnesota (86 degrees!) well...my foot just hurt the whole time (just down the block) so I got depressed and came in and put it up with the ice pack...end of that walk. I will fill you in on what he says on Thursday. Thank you for caring!

Tammie on 10/03/01 at 08:44 (062145)

I am Glad that you called him!!!! It seems unreal that you had to wait so long for a appointment tho,but i do understand that they are busy!
I am glad that you will be seeing him to find out what is happining,it will also ease your mind!

I am sorry you still are having so much trouble it seems like nothing concerning the feet is a quick fix!I have a hard time believing anymore that there is a real cure to all of this.There is always hope of course but even then it seems as tho at times it is hard to keep that in our minds.

I will look foward to hearing how it goes for you Thurs. Keep up the spirit and will keep the good thoughts flowing for you! Take care and hugs to u!

Terry M on 10/04/01 at 12:41 (062224)

Sonny K, Thanks for the response. I have also crawled up the steps on my
knees and rear-end. I quess when you have to get upstairs to the bathroom quickly, you will find anyway possible. How long were you off work. I'm hoping to go back after a month. Well, talk to you later. TM

Terry M on 10/04/01 at 12:44 (062225)

Tammie and sonnyK, and anyone else who reads this, How long did you have the systems? Do you think the surgury has corrected it? Hope you are getting around okay. Got to go, Talk to you later. TM

Re: Terry

Tammie on 10/04/01 at 13:02 (062226)

I am not exactly sure when symptoms started as I had all along, but seems that they esculated with the pf surgery and spur. Though we were hoping it was healing pains did not work out that way.

Do I think the surgery worked, I cannot give a honest answer at this point. It has been 5 weeks,I can sleep most nights with out waking and begging for anything to take away the pain,for the most part I would have to answer yes. I do however feel a bit impatient as I still have some pains and some swelling I am having a awful time getting into my shoes full time and to me that is distressing.

I on the whole feel like yes it was worth it,and hope that I will feel and see more results as time progresses. I am not sure but feels as tho things were quiet with foot and like something went off in it saying dont forget I am still here, and going to be your side kick , I am really hoping that this is the healing. I was very much hoping to return to work soon,at this point I am uncertain. I see my Dr. next week and am hoping for some encouraging words, saying this is healing and normal.Untill then I have hope.

I get along great, I have a bulky boot to wear which I can not figure out why but I can go great with out pain, put on shoes and going is slow and rough and creates problems with the foot, so for most part am in shoes as I am kinda forcing my foot to adjust to the change, and when I know I have to be on go allot I take my boot to change in to for a break. Not sure Dr. will be happy about this as he felt should be in shoes by now and said for me to work on it harder. Time will tell.I sort of figure pt will be in the cards next. I will not submit to any more cortisone shots tho I have made up mind. I have had enough for a while.Hope that u are doing well and that you post with your knowledge and the goods and the bads. Take care and hugs to u!

Tammie on 10/04/01 at 13:05 (062227)

Did u say what type of work you do? It is 5 weeks for me and my dr. told me in begining to figure about 8 to 12 weeks for my job. (nurses aide)And yes amazing what we do to get places we need to. Can feel for little children as you return to there ways and means. Sorry I know u posted to Sonny,I hope she is doing well as she was to see her Dr. today I believe and was hoping to see a post from her soon.

Terry M on 10/05/01 at 09:31 (062285)

Tammie, I am a retail floor walker for Sears. I really hope to return w/in
four weeks, but I don't want to rush it, and end up damaging what they
have done. TM

Tammie on 10/05/01 at 09:46 (062289)

Well I wish you luck Terry, I am kinda thinking that sounds quick to return but I am not a Dr. If there is one thing I have learned thru the last 6 months and that is thease things are very time consuming.It seems like really noone can give a time as your body has its own healing time frame. I am having a hard time excepting this fact myself.

I kinda feel as I left real life 6 months ago and wonder if I shall ever return to it? My mind tells me one thing my feet are telling me another. I am curious to just which will win?

I do hope that you talk with your dr. about the healing process and the time frame you are thinking I hate to hand down any bad thoughts, but I think one month is really only what 4 or maybe 5 weeks? I am there right now and now that in my heart yes would be back to work in a heart beat, but ask my feet, nope no way not possible to do it yet.Maybe a few hours, and I say maybe as you see putting a shoe on for 20 min brings on those nervy reminders and the feelings in your foot that you are trying so very hard to forget.I really cant stand a shoe but force it as I cannot be barefoot,I have a air cast boot which I do not yet understand why the foot does not mind it Maybe I shall post that question. Anyways I just dont want to see you be disapointed and shocked no pun intended.It is a sometimes long healing process and hope that you are a lucky one and heal fast. You are right to say you dont want to risk doing any damage. Keep that thought . Good Luck and hope the healing goes well. Hugs to u and keep us posted on progress.

cindyp on 9/28/01 at 17:32 (061818)

Well i havenot had quite as much 'fun' asyou did. But the thing is that wait and slow way down. DO not be in a big hurry to walk. The thing is your foot has experienced the trauma of having it opened up and stuff moved around and some stuff removed. It is traumatized and all the soreness and swelling needs to come down. TAKE it easy. I got frustrated with the crutches. But after stitches I waited one more week and then went to a cane. So TAKE YOUR TIME. BABY your foot. It will make it much easier.

karma on 9/30/01 at 19:01 (061938)

thanks keep in touch

Terry M on 10/02/01 at 11:02 (062066)

I had my surgury on 9/28, and I also have had little pain or disconfort,
but I also took the pain medication before any pain set in. I have tried
to be non-wt bearing on my foot, but I'm a 6'1'-350lbs male and it is very
hard. I called my doctors office today, and he stated that if I put weight
on this foot, I can rip the stitches (I got 10), and open the incission
exposing the nerve, and causing tremendous pain. Part of my inconvience has been stairs. I live in a two-level house with the bathroom upstairs
and no rails. I am very unstable on the crutches, and they don't seem to help me. I am going to look at a walker.
My dr also stated that the nerve was more imbedded than she thought and
her partner stated during my first post-op follow-up that 'there was a lot
of nerve damage.' I am just trying to hang in there and be patient. As far
as work goes, my doc says 6-8 weeks.

SonnyK on 10/02/01 at 21:16 (062117)

TerryM: I had TTS surgery on August 17 and I also have an upstairs bathroom. I practiced something before I had my surgery...sort of crawling up the stairs....pushing myself up with my good foot....not putting any weight on my surgery foot of course. The day of my surgery I was using this technique with no problem. Then I tried scooting up on my rear end..pushing myself up with the good foot....using my arms mostly. Maybe this idea will help you.

Tammie on 10/02/01 at 21:54 (062121)

I was wondering how you were doing I see you had the surgery aug 17, I had it the end of aug and just wondered how it was going for u ? I hope you are doing much better. Hugs to u.

SonnyK on 10/02/01 at 22:38 (062125)

Hi Tammie:
Remember I posted recently and talked about my swelling and pain? I was going to call the doc...well he called me back on Friday and said to make an appointment for this week. I got in for this Thursday morning. Then, I was really shocked tonight about 8:00 p.m. when I got a call from him again. He was checking on me! Wow...made me feel good. He said he will see me on Thursday and to hang in there. I tried to push the kids in the wagon today because we had a great day here in Minnesota (86 degrees!) well...my foot just hurt the whole time (just down the block) so I got depressed and came in and put it up with the ice pack...end of that walk. I will fill you in on what he says on Thursday. Thank you for caring!

Tammie on 10/03/01 at 08:44 (062145)

I am Glad that you called him!!!! It seems unreal that you had to wait so long for a appointment tho,but i do understand that they are busy!
I am glad that you will be seeing him to find out what is happining,it will also ease your mind!

I am sorry you still are having so much trouble it seems like nothing concerning the feet is a quick fix!I have a hard time believing anymore that there is a real cure to all of this.There is always hope of course but even then it seems as tho at times it is hard to keep that in our minds.

I will look foward to hearing how it goes for you Thurs. Keep up the spirit and will keep the good thoughts flowing for you! Take care and hugs to u!

Terry M on 10/04/01 at 12:41 (062224)

Sonny K, Thanks for the response. I have also crawled up the steps on my
knees and rear-end. I quess when you have to get upstairs to the bathroom quickly, you will find anyway possible. How long were you off work. I'm hoping to go back after a month. Well, talk to you later. TM

Terry M on 10/04/01 at 12:44 (062225)

Tammie and sonnyK, and anyone else who reads this, How long did you have the systems? Do you think the surgury has corrected it? Hope you are getting around okay. Got to go, Talk to you later. TM

Re: Terry

Tammie on 10/04/01 at 13:02 (062226)

I am not exactly sure when symptoms started as I had all along, but seems that they esculated with the pf surgery and spur. Though we were hoping it was healing pains did not work out that way.

Do I think the surgery worked, I cannot give a honest answer at this point. It has been 5 weeks,I can sleep most nights with out waking and begging for anything to take away the pain,for the most part I would have to answer yes. I do however feel a bit impatient as I still have some pains and some swelling I am having a awful time getting into my shoes full time and to me that is distressing.

I on the whole feel like yes it was worth it,and hope that I will feel and see more results as time progresses. I am not sure but feels as tho things were quiet with foot and like something went off in it saying dont forget I am still here, and going to be your side kick , I am really hoping that this is the healing. I was very much hoping to return to work soon,at this point I am uncertain. I see my Dr. next week and am hoping for some encouraging words, saying this is healing and normal.Untill then I have hope.

I get along great, I have a bulky boot to wear which I can not figure out why but I can go great with out pain, put on shoes and going is slow and rough and creates problems with the foot, so for most part am in shoes as I am kinda forcing my foot to adjust to the change, and when I know I have to be on go allot I take my boot to change in to for a break. Not sure Dr. will be happy about this as he felt should be in shoes by now and said for me to work on it harder. Time will tell.I sort of figure pt will be in the cards next. I will not submit to any more cortisone shots tho I have made up mind. I have had enough for a while.Hope that u are doing well and that you post with your knowledge and the goods and the bads. Take care and hugs to u!

Tammie on 10/04/01 at 13:05 (062227)

Did u say what type of work you do? It is 5 weeks for me and my dr. told me in begining to figure about 8 to 12 weeks for my job. (nurses aide)And yes amazing what we do to get places we need to. Can feel for little children as you return to there ways and means. Sorry I know u posted to Sonny,I hope she is doing well as she was to see her Dr. today I believe and was hoping to see a post from her soon.

Terry M on 10/05/01 at 09:31 (062285)

Tammie, I am a retail floor walker for Sears. I really hope to return w/in
four weeks, but I don't want to rush it, and end up damaging what they
have done. TM

Tammie on 10/05/01 at 09:46 (062289)

Well I wish you luck Terry, I am kinda thinking that sounds quick to return but I am not a Dr. If there is one thing I have learned thru the last 6 months and that is thease things are very time consuming.It seems like really noone can give a time as your body has its own healing time frame. I am having a hard time excepting this fact myself.

I kinda feel as I left real life 6 months ago and wonder if I shall ever return to it? My mind tells me one thing my feet are telling me another. I am curious to just which will win?

I do hope that you talk with your dr. about the healing process and the time frame you are thinking I hate to hand down any bad thoughts, but I think one month is really only what 4 or maybe 5 weeks? I am there right now and now that in my heart yes would be back to work in a heart beat, but ask my feet, nope no way not possible to do it yet.Maybe a few hours, and I say maybe as you see putting a shoe on for 20 min brings on those nervy reminders and the feelings in your foot that you are trying so very hard to forget.I really cant stand a shoe but force it as I cannot be barefoot,I have a air cast boot which I do not yet understand why the foot does not mind it Maybe I shall post that question. Anyways I just dont want to see you be disapointed and shocked no pun intended.It is a sometimes long healing process and hope that you are a lucky one and heal fast. You are right to say you dont want to risk doing any damage. Keep that thought . Good Luck and hope the healing goes well. Hugs to u and keep us posted on progress.