Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Questions....

Posted by Ventricle on 9/28/01 at 15:36 (061817)

I am a High School student doing a project on Podiatry and i would like to ask a few questions about Podiatry.

--Why you chose this career?
--What are the working conditions?
--Academic and phyical requirements
--Training Required to remain current

Thank you....

Re: Questions....

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/28/01 at 19:03 (061828)

I chose podiatry because 1) I went to a podiatrist as a high school student and got a lot of relief, 2)it is a specialty which often offers patients rapid relief of a number of ailments and 3)there are a lot of untreated foot problems out there and saw podiatry as the only specialty that could offer effective help, viewing it as an field which had a lot of room to expand.

The vast majority of podiatrists are in private practice and have diversified practices which includes dermatologic foot problems, pediatric foot problems and deformities, sports medicine, surgery. A small number of podiatrists work for group model HMOs and the Veterans Administration. More stats can be obtained from http://www.apma.org

Podiatrist take 4 years of pre-med in college, followed by 4 years of podiatric medical school and finally one to three years of residency programs.
Ed

Re: Questions....

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/28/01 at 19:03 (061828)

I chose podiatry because 1) I went to a podiatrist as a high school student and got a lot of relief, 2)it is a specialty which often offers patients rapid relief of a number of ailments and 3)there are a lot of untreated foot problems out there and saw podiatry as the only specialty that could offer effective help, viewing it as an field which had a lot of room to expand.

The vast majority of podiatrists are in private practice and have diversified practices which includes dermatologic foot problems, pediatric foot problems and deformities, sports medicine, surgery. A small number of podiatrists work for group model HMOs and the Veterans Administration. More stats can be obtained from http://www.apma.org

Podiatrist take 4 years of pre-med in college, followed by 4 years of podiatric medical school and finally one to three years of residency programs.
Ed