Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heard of Orthofeet inserts

Posted by brenda p on 9/28/01 at 18:07 (061819)

I recently purchased Birkenstock inserts for $89.00 which didn't seem to help. Now I have Orthofeet insoles $30.00 which seemed to help at first but I feel I am leaning towards custom orthotics to provide more arch support. My insurance doesn't pay for any of this (Kaiser) and I have heard night splints help but feel I am just shelling out $ with little relief. Are PowerStep inserts any different than Orthofeet?

Re: Heard of Orthofeet inserts

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/28/01 at 18:43 (061823)

Brenda:
You have listed a number of OTC inserts. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. Your need for a custom device would be based on your need for biomechanical control--something that your docs at Kaiser should be able to tell you even if they do not offer that service.

There really is nothing wrong with trying a number of different OTC inserts except for the time involved (maybe wasted) in not knowing what works and the expense of going 'trial and error.'
Ed

Sean on 9/29/01 at 08:19 (061847)

Brenda, if you are interested in trying an OTC orthotic, you may want to take a look at Ortho-Dynamics' line. I have several pair myself. They provide good arch support, control and cushioning for about $50.00 per pair. They have been very effective in helping me control my pronation.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/28/01 at 18:43 (061823)

Brenda:
You have listed a number of OTC inserts. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. Your need for a custom device would be based on your need for biomechanical control--something that your docs at Kaiser should be able to tell you even if they do not offer that service.

There really is nothing wrong with trying a number of different OTC inserts except for the time involved (maybe wasted) in not knowing what works and the expense of going 'trial and error.'
Ed

Sean on 9/29/01 at 08:19 (061847)

Brenda, if you are interested in trying an OTC orthotic, you may want to take a look at Ortho-Dynamics' line. I have several pair myself. They provide good arch support, control and cushioning for about $50.00 per pair. They have been very effective in helping me control my pronation.