Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My cat was just diagnosed with Diabetes

Posted by Carmen H on 9/29/01 at 13:34 (061866)

Now what. I have to take my cat in for Diabetic regulation and treatment Monday morning. she was diagnosed today.
Just when the money wasn't so tight...
poor thing.
I get to conquer YET another fear. Needles. For the rest of her life.
Poor girl...at least it wasn't kidney disease which there is no treatment for and could kill her sooner.
My little Zoe.....Lord give me strength to handle one more thing on my plate.
Thanks for listening guys!

Re: My cat was just diagnosed with Diabetes

Suzanne D on 9/29/01 at 15:16 (061879)

I'm sorry, Carmen. I really am. It does seem that 'when it rains, it pours' as my Grandma used to say. From what I can tell about you by reading all your posts, you will take very good care of your Zoe and will do everything possible to help her.

Take care of yourself. I wish for you improvement in your health problems!

:-)

Pauline on 9/29/01 at 16:22 (061884)

Carmen,
My neighbor's cat was just diagnosed with diabetes too. The unfortunate thing in her case is that her husband passed away from diabetes complications just 2 years ago.

Now it's more shots for her to do. It wasn't fun those last years for her or her husband because he was on kidney dialysis too.

Sometimes you just have to ask 'Why me'. I'm not sure we get any answers right away. Take care, I know if anyone can handle it you can. Zoe is counting on you and the rest of us are here to add our support.

SusanP on 10/01/01 at 12:20 (061968)

Dear Carmen,

I have a 6 1/2 yr old maltese who has had diabetes for 1 1/2 yrs now. After the shock wears off and you invest the time in regulating her your Zoe will be fine. It does take time to find the right amount of insulin to use and diet is so important. Your vet will hopefully have alot of experience with diabetic pets because that is so important. The needles are hard to give at first but believe me it gets better. I could probably work for a vet now. There is an excellent web site http://www.felinediabetes.com . It has a message board and the people there are wonderful. They all have diabetic cats and their experience is so helpful. If I can be of any help at all my e-mail is SusanPaux@yahoo.com . Good Luck Carmen Susan

Suzanne D on 9/29/01 at 15:16 (061879)

I'm sorry, Carmen. I really am. It does seem that 'when it rains, it pours' as my Grandma used to say. From what I can tell about you by reading all your posts, you will take very good care of your Zoe and will do everything possible to help her.

Take care of yourself. I wish for you improvement in your health problems!

:-)

Pauline on 9/29/01 at 16:22 (061884)

Carmen,
My neighbor's cat was just diagnosed with diabetes too. The unfortunate thing in her case is that her husband passed away from diabetes complications just 2 years ago.

Now it's more shots for her to do. It wasn't fun those last years for her or her husband because he was on kidney dialysis too.

Sometimes you just have to ask 'Why me'. I'm not sure we get any answers right away. Take care, I know if anyone can handle it you can. Zoe is counting on you and the rest of us are here to add our support.

SusanP on 10/01/01 at 12:20 (061968)

Dear Carmen,

I have a 6 1/2 yr old maltese who has had diabetes for 1 1/2 yrs now. After the shock wears off and you invest the time in regulating her your Zoe will be fine. It does take time to find the right amount of insulin to use and diet is so important. Your vet will hopefully have alot of experience with diabetic pets because that is so important. The needles are hard to give at first but believe me it gets better. I could probably work for a vet now. There is an excellent web site http://www.felinediabetes.com . It has a message board and the people there are wonderful. They all have diabetic cats and their experience is so helpful. If I can be of any help at all my e-mail is SusanPaux@yahoo.com . Good Luck Carmen Susan