Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Scheduled for surgery for heel spur on Wednesday....need advice

Posted by Crystal S. on 9/29/01 at 18:32 (061893)

Hi! Well after the shots,straps,insoles and lots of meds I am scheduled for surgery on Wednesday of next week.My podiatrist is doing one foot at a time so I will have one good one (well sort of good one) left.I would love to hear from anyone that has been through this or from the doctors on here for any advice for recovery.How bad is the pain afterwards? How long does it take to be able to walk on it and heal? What type of success rate is there with this surgery? My doctor said that he would be making an incision on the side of my foot and going in that way.He said that he would cut that tendon (or whatever that is called) on the bottom of my foot and remove the spur.As far as we know I have no other foot problems besides a really tight arch.No problems with anything else though.So does that make it more likely to work for me? I am really nervous about this but I am so tired of the pain which has bothered me for 2 + years that I almost welcome the recovery.How long do doctors usually wait to do the other foot? That is the really bad part about it all.After I heal up from one I get to go through it all over again.I would really appreciate any advice or words of wisdom.Thanks in advance.

Crystal

Re: Scheduled for surgery for heel spur on Wednesday....need advice

Paula G. on 9/30/01 at 16:31 (061921)

Do you have PF along with the heel spurs? I just had surgery on 9-14. I am getting around now pretty well except for having a lot of nerve pain and still have lots of swelling. I think the two go to gether.
I think recovery has a lot to do with what all the doctor does, but the worst part for me was when I woke up from surgery I was very, very nervous. I was told the doctor put a lot of anesthesia in my foot and that could be causing the nervousness. But, they got me right up and on crutches to the bathroom after surgery. I was to begin bearing some weight right away.
All in all, I am doing okay and am glad I had this done. Just tell yourself the recovery period is long and do just what doctor orders. Give yourself time and be committed to the recovery. A couple weeks after surgery is rough because you think, okay enough let's get this healing over with!

Crystal S. on 9/30/01 at 23:49 (061950)

Hi Paula,
Thanks for your response.Yes I think that I do have PF in both feet along with the spurs because the doctor said that he was cutting that fascia or whatever that tendon is called.Well it is encouraging to know that you are moving around pretty well now.I have 2 kids and this will be difficult to be debilitated for a while.What type of surgery did you have done? I figured the worst part would be immediately afterward and the first few days after.Is the pain pretty bad or tolerable? Don't worry about scaring me I would rather be prepared :-). I am at the point now that I am just ready for this to be over with.You get so tired of hurting because when your feet hurt you just hurt all over.I appreciate your comments they are helpful.I had a c-section with my first child and was not hardly numb at all so surely if I can live through that I will be able to handle this LOL!
Good luck with your recovery.

Crystal

SharonG on 10/01/01 at 19:28 (061997)

I am scheduled for surgery on one foot Friday, 10/5. Since June I have had two steriod shots. Prior to that my last shot lasted three years and at that time orthotics were made. My doctor did say he would shoot me again but that would be the last time so I opted for surgery now and then for new orthotics. I have pain whether at rest or walking. Many times it shoots up to my ankle. How are you doing now.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/01/01 at 23:01 (062026)

Crystal:

We are happy to answer your questions concerning the surgery BUT, if you are scheduled for surgery next week, your doctor should have already answered these questions. Success rates vary from surgeon to surgeon, technique to technique. Your surgeon can discuss his or her success rates but I would probably place the success rate for surgery around 70 to 75%.

The amount of pain after surgery is afunction of one's pain threshold and the amount of things which are done to control the pain--ant-inflammatories, pain medications, elevation, ice, etc. It also depends on the technique used.

Ed

Crystal S. on 10/01/01 at 23:27 (062032)

Hi Dr. Davis,
My surgery is actually for this week on the 3rd.My doctor did answer my questions but I just kind of wanted to get some different opinions on the subject.It is really helpul to talk with someone who has actually been through the same thing.I understand that there is no way that anyone can actually tell you what you personally will experience but to hear others opinions and experiences is helpful.Thank you for your advice and your response.

Crystal

Crystal S. on 10/01/01 at 23:33 (062033)

Sharon,
My surgery is scheduled for October 3rd for 1 foot also.We will have to check back in with each other as soon as we are able and compare notes on our recovery.I had 1 set of shots which made my feet MUCH worse.I have tried the heel inserts,straps and lots of medications without any success. That is why my doctor wanted to go ahead with the surgery.It is my last resort.So I hope it works.I hope yours goes well and it works well for you too.Let me know how you are doing.

Take Care,
Crystal

Paula G. on 9/30/01 at 16:31 (061921)

Do you have PF along with the heel spurs? I just had surgery on 9-14. I am getting around now pretty well except for having a lot of nerve pain and still have lots of swelling. I think the two go to gether.
I think recovery has a lot to do with what all the doctor does, but the worst part for me was when I woke up from surgery I was very, very nervous. I was told the doctor put a lot of anesthesia in my foot and that could be causing the nervousness. But, they got me right up and on crutches to the bathroom after surgery. I was to begin bearing some weight right away.
All in all, I am doing okay and am glad I had this done. Just tell yourself the recovery period is long and do just what doctor orders. Give yourself time and be committed to the recovery. A couple weeks after surgery is rough because you think, okay enough let's get this healing over with!

Crystal S. on 9/30/01 at 23:49 (061950)

Hi Paula,
Thanks for your response.Yes I think that I do have PF in both feet along with the spurs because the doctor said that he was cutting that fascia or whatever that tendon is called.Well it is encouraging to know that you are moving around pretty well now.I have 2 kids and this will be difficult to be debilitated for a while.What type of surgery did you have done? I figured the worst part would be immediately afterward and the first few days after.Is the pain pretty bad or tolerable? Don't worry about scaring me I would rather be prepared :-). I am at the point now that I am just ready for this to be over with.You get so tired of hurting because when your feet hurt you just hurt all over.I appreciate your comments they are helpful.I had a c-section with my first child and was not hardly numb at all so surely if I can live through that I will be able to handle this LOL!
Good luck with your recovery.

Crystal

SharonG on 10/01/01 at 19:28 (061997)

I am scheduled for surgery on one foot Friday, 10/5. Since June I have had two steriod shots. Prior to that my last shot lasted three years and at that time orthotics were made. My doctor did say he would shoot me again but that would be the last time so I opted for surgery now and then for new orthotics. I have pain whether at rest or walking. Many times it shoots up to my ankle. How are you doing now.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/01/01 at 23:01 (062026)

Crystal:

We are happy to answer your questions concerning the surgery BUT, if you are scheduled for surgery next week, your doctor should have already answered these questions. Success rates vary from surgeon to surgeon, technique to technique. Your surgeon can discuss his or her success rates but I would probably place the success rate for surgery around 70 to 75%.

The amount of pain after surgery is afunction of one's pain threshold and the amount of things which are done to control the pain--ant-inflammatories, pain medications, elevation, ice, etc. It also depends on the technique used.

Ed

Crystal S. on 10/01/01 at 23:27 (062032)

Hi Dr. Davis,
My surgery is actually for this week on the 3rd.My doctor did answer my questions but I just kind of wanted to get some different opinions on the subject.It is really helpul to talk with someone who has actually been through the same thing.I understand that there is no way that anyone can actually tell you what you personally will experience but to hear others opinions and experiences is helpful.Thank you for your advice and your response.

Crystal

Crystal S. on 10/01/01 at 23:33 (062033)

Sharon,
My surgery is scheduled for October 3rd for 1 foot also.We will have to check back in with each other as soon as we are able and compare notes on our recovery.I had 1 set of shots which made my feet MUCH worse.I have tried the heel inserts,straps and lots of medications without any success. That is why my doctor wanted to go ahead with the surgery.It is my last resort.So I hope it works.I hope yours goes well and it works well for you too.Let me know how you are doing.

Take Care,
Crystal