Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

HAMSTRING INSERTIONAL TENDONITIS

Posted by JO-ANNEB on 10/01/01 at 05:10 (061955)

Over the past three years or so I have developed hamstring tendonitis. I am a long distance runner and have been running for some 15 years, say 120 km per week. The ischael tuberosity region now shows bone stress (hot spots)on bone scan. I've not run for the past four months but alas no improvement - the tendonitis persists. I am presently undergoing ESWT - I have had 2 sessions so far (no noticable change in condition as yet). Should ESWT not be effective, I have been advised to undergo hamstring release surgery. Has anyone had a similar condition to mine who can comment/help me as regards treatment/surgery?

Re: JOANNE B

Carmen H on 10/23/01 at 15:09 (063468)

Read the recent post I sent you today. 10-23-01

greg c on 11/12/01 at 01:52 (064676)

I've had the same problems. I'm a professional athlete and have had four surgeries. One on the left and three on the right. Prior to surgeries I had four or five cortison injections into both legs. On my right leg the second surgery consisted of the tendon release. The area was the lower region of the hamstring behind the knee. It was the semi-tendonosis tendon or more commonly known as the monster hamstring. I'm not sure where your's is located. I could go on for hours. I would first consider injections (depo-medrol) followed by a lot of rest . My release was not successful and they had to go back in clean up scar tissue and strip out the tendon. You can e-amil with additional questions at gregcariec@earthlink.net

Carmen H on 10/23/01 at 15:09 (063468)

Read the recent post I sent you today. 10-23-01

greg c on 11/12/01 at 01:52 (064676)

I've had the same problems. I'm a professional athlete and have had four surgeries. One on the left and three on the right. Prior to surgeries I had four or five cortison injections into both legs. On my right leg the second surgery consisted of the tendon release. The area was the lower region of the hamstring behind the knee. It was the semi-tendonosis tendon or more commonly known as the monster hamstring. I'm not sure where your's is located. I could go on for hours. I would first consider injections (depo-medrol) followed by a lot of rest . My release was not successful and they had to go back in clean up scar tissue and strip out the tendon. You can e-amil with additional questions at gregcariec@earthlink.net