Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

question for Dr.Z or Ed

Posted by Regina Brown on 10/01/01 at 16:15 (061982)

Hi,
I have been having a lot of heel pain the past couple of days and my calf has been real sore to for some reason.I have been limping quite a bit and had to finally put an orthopaedic wrap that my dr. gave me a while back around my foot today to see if it will ease up some.I also had made a visit to my dr.last Weds.-it was a follow-up visit-and I was having pain that day to and he gave me a nerve block injection just a little above my ankle.It seemed to help for about three days but for some reason as I said above I seem to be hurting moreso now.My question is being as I had epf surgery 4 mos.ago,would the wrap be ok to wear still AND also what about this nerve block injection--could it be causing me to have more pain someway or just maybe something else is problem still.I sure would appreciate any info and also I am wondering IF I should call my dr. too! Thanks as always! Regina

Re: question for Dr.Z or Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/01/01 at 23:05 (062027)

Regina:

A common cause of pain in the calf or achilles area is that people with heel pain often contract their calf muscle in order to decelerate the process of the heel hitting the ground. Is your heel pain in the same place as before the surgery?
Ed

Regina Brown on 10/02/01 at 06:10 (062040)

Hi,
No my pain seems to be occuring moreso on the outer edge of my heel now.The area right in the center of my heel where the pain was before the surgery is doing better.The pain is not quite on the outer edge but not really in the center area either.I am real puzzled as to what may be causing it.I sure have a lot of difficulty with walking some days because of it too! It is just a real sharp pain and the more I try to walk the more intense it is.Any ideas as to what it may be? I said my surgery was 4 mos.ago but the 3rd of this month will make 5 mos.since I had it
(may 3) Could I STILL be having healing pain or do you think maybe nerve pain? I don't have much pain unless I am on my feet standing,etc.Thanks again!

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/02/01 at 17:02 (062088)

This could be from placing your weight away from the inside of your foot where you had your pf surgery. It is usually the lateral band of the pf

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/01/01 at 23:05 (062027)

Regina:

A common cause of pain in the calf or achilles area is that people with heel pain often contract their calf muscle in order to decelerate the process of the heel hitting the ground. Is your heel pain in the same place as before the surgery?
Ed

Regina Brown on 10/02/01 at 06:10 (062040)

Hi,
No my pain seems to be occuring moreso on the outer edge of my heel now.The area right in the center of my heel where the pain was before the surgery is doing better.The pain is not quite on the outer edge but not really in the center area either.I am real puzzled as to what may be causing it.I sure have a lot of difficulty with walking some days because of it too! It is just a real sharp pain and the more I try to walk the more intense it is.Any ideas as to what it may be? I said my surgery was 4 mos.ago but the 3rd of this month will make 5 mos.since I had it
(may 3) Could I STILL be having healing pain or do you think maybe nerve pain? I don't have much pain unless I am on my feet standing,etc.Thanks again!

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/02/01 at 17:02 (062088)

This could be from placing your weight away from the inside of your foot where you had your pf surgery. It is usually the lateral band of the pf