Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Help, it's getting worse...

Posted by Eric Nelson on 10/02/01 at 12:55 (062070)

I'm 6'1' and 245lbs. I had been running 4 miles a day, lifting weights (including squats) twice a week, and playing tennis a couple times a week, and I rember hurting my right heeel during a tennis match. I stayed off it for a few days, and it went away. But about 6-7 weeks ago I started running 6 miles, and the next day my right heel was sore. It subsided, then every time I ran the six miles it got worse, until it hurt so bad in the morning I couldn't hardly walk on it, and I finally went to my HMO. My doctor said take Advil for one week, stretch in the morning, buy some inserts, and no running or tennis for 4-6 weeks. But after a week of stretching in the morning, Advil, and inserts, it still hurts after inactivity/morning (I'm a software engineer), in fact it may be slightly worse (so why bother w/inactivity?). I found more helpful info on your web site than at my HMO. I'm dying to get back to tennis and running. One thing that is lacking on the web site is information about recovery time-- did I miss it? I read the part about being patient, and how it could take months, but I mean what is the average recovery time? If I am able to get it rehabilitated to the point where I no longer feel any pain, does that mean I'm ready to rock? What if I just try to stretch, ice, aspirin, inserts, and maybe tape, could I maybe scale back a notch, say run three miles, tennis once a week, weights once a week-- what would be the risk of prolonged injury? If I can stay flat footed doing squats does that mean I'm not risking injury to my heel?

Thanks-- I've been really depressed about this and this site is awesome,
__e

Re: Help, it's getting worse...

Dr. Biehler on 10/02/01 at 13:53 (062072)

Years ago I injurred my heel running on a hard surface. It was not plantar fasciitis but it was a bone injurry. It took four months to heal. I found that with an orthotic made out of hard matterial that redistributed the weight placed on my foot, I could walk pain free durring that time. Without the orthotic I had to limp. Dr. B.

Pauline on 10/02/01 at 14:43 (062077)

Dr. B,
When you walk, besides the initial first touch, how much weight is on the heel as you continue to take a step? What does a normal distribution look like?

Eric Nelson on 10/03/01 at 17:56 (062178)

Interesting... Well, my HMO probably won't spring for the X-ray until I followed their regimen for the 4-6 weeks, so for now I think I will have to assume the diagnosis of plantar ...

I bought the Powerfeet inserts, damn that's some hardcore medicine. Immediate relief, I almost wore them to bed. I also started icing yesterday, and have been stretching throughout the day. I also rode my bicycle to work today. I think today is the best day yet.

I will lift weights tonight, but I'm not going to do calf-raises, or squats.

I need to follow through on all this stuff because the pain in my right heel is insufferable, and I love tennis and jogging.

I'm still wondering what would be the danger, assuming I have plantar..., of continuing to run and play tennis, along with all this treatment. Could it still get better, or would it degrade, would tape make a difference?

When I was really overweight, 6'1'/270 I had this problem with shin-splints, after I ran 3 miles every other day, my shins would throb with pain. I used aspirin, and eventually after I kept running, and got down to 250, I was running 4 miles, and my shins don't bother me.

So I'm wondering if now at 245, running 6 miles, what if I scale back to 5 miles, and just ice/ tape/stretch/aspirin, etc., is it possible that I can run/loose wight though this injury too? Can't I beat it like a man! :)

I just feel like if I don't continue to run, and push hard, then I might as well sit around the house eating ice-cream and feeling sorry for myself.

__e

Eric F. Nelson
Software Design Engineer
Windows Core OS Team
Microsoft Washington

Scott R on 10/03/01 at 20:52 (062188)

I wish Eric (a.k.a. Microsoft employee) had some pull with msn.com. MSN is the only major search engine not giving heelspurs.com a decent ranking. Since Microsoft has successfully leveraged the OS monopoly to acquire a huge portion of the internet eyes (Microsoft websites acquire more eyes than any other company) this cuts heelspurs.com's popularity (and profit and ability to help people) in half. They already bought out 2 major advertising companies who subsequently and immediately cancelled all support of websites like this one.

Dr. Biehler on 10/04/01 at 08:15 (062205)

If it is PF, then do not run through the pain!! If you keep injurring the fascia while it is trying to heal, it will just give up trying to heal and become chronic. Dr. B.

Dr. Biehler on 10/02/01 at 13:53 (062072)

Years ago I injurred my heel running on a hard surface. It was not plantar fasciitis but it was a bone injurry. It took four months to heal. I found that with an orthotic made out of hard matterial that redistributed the weight placed on my foot, I could walk pain free durring that time. Without the orthotic I had to limp. Dr. B.

Pauline on 10/02/01 at 14:43 (062077)

Dr. B,
When you walk, besides the initial first touch, how much weight is on the heel as you continue to take a step? What does a normal distribution look like?

Eric Nelson on 10/03/01 at 17:56 (062178)

Interesting... Well, my HMO probably won't spring for the X-ray until I followed their regimen for the 4-6 weeks, so for now I think I will have to assume the diagnosis of plantar ...

I bought the Powerfeet inserts, damn that's some hardcore medicine. Immediate relief, I almost wore them to bed. I also started icing yesterday, and have been stretching throughout the day. I also rode my bicycle to work today. I think today is the best day yet.

I will lift weights tonight, but I'm not going to do calf-raises, or squats.

I need to follow through on all this stuff because the pain in my right heel is insufferable, and I love tennis and jogging.

I'm still wondering what would be the danger, assuming I have plantar..., of continuing to run and play tennis, along with all this treatment. Could it still get better, or would it degrade, would tape make a difference?

When I was really overweight, 6'1'/270 I had this problem with shin-splints, after I ran 3 miles every other day, my shins would throb with pain. I used aspirin, and eventually after I kept running, and got down to 250, I was running 4 miles, and my shins don't bother me.

So I'm wondering if now at 245, running 6 miles, what if I scale back to 5 miles, and just ice/ tape/stretch/aspirin, etc., is it possible that I can run/loose wight though this injury too? Can't I beat it like a man! :)

I just feel like if I don't continue to run, and push hard, then I might as well sit around the house eating ice-cream and feeling sorry for myself.

__e

Eric F. Nelson
Software Design Engineer
Windows Core OS Team
Microsoft Washington

Scott R on 10/03/01 at 20:52 (062188)

I wish Eric (a.k.a. Microsoft employee) had some pull with msn.com. MSN is the only major search engine not giving heelspurs.com a decent ranking. Since Microsoft has successfully leveraged the OS monopoly to acquire a huge portion of the internet eyes (Microsoft websites acquire more eyes than any other company) this cuts heelspurs.com's popularity (and profit and ability to help people) in half. They already bought out 2 major advertising companies who subsequently and immediately cancelled all support of websites like this one.

Dr. Biehler on 10/04/01 at 08:15 (062205)

If it is PF, then do not run through the pain!! If you keep injurring the fascia while it is trying to heal, it will just give up trying to heal and become chronic. Dr. B.