Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Runner Considering Surgery

Posted by Crazy J. on 10/02/01 at 23:01 (062128)

Until 6 months ago I ran 20-25 miles per week at a very high intensity level (200 and 400 intervals) with a 6 miler which I rarely coasted through. Since then, despite two separate month-long periods of rest and a cut in mileage and intensity, foot pain has returned. My doctor believes that it is TTS, but I am unsure of this diagnosis because I am only 21 years old and weigh only 145 pounds with a 6 foot frame. However, I have a high arch, which easily collapses upon weight bearing. I am not in terrible pain when walking, but can feel the pain when I rub the affected area (could be a nerve). Orthotics have helped a bit after a month of use, but am afraid to run until I am completely pain-free.
Running is very important to me. Even though I no longer have aspirations of making the college team, I will be devastated if I am forced to quit altogether.

Re: Runner Considering Surgery

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/03/01 at 15:41 (062170)

Did you have a nerve conduction velocity test?
Ed

Crazy J. on 10/03/01 at 16:49 (062175)

No, I have not done a nerve conduction velocity test and have never heard of such a thing. I initially thought that I had either PF or Post Tib Tendonitits, but my external signs seemed to make my doctor pretty sure that it's TTS.

Chris M. on 10/03/01 at 18:04 (062179)

Hi. I wonder if you are Justin, to whom I previously wrote on this board? Well, I would like to add, has more than one physician looked at you? If only an orthopedic surgeon has looked at this, you may consider having a neurologist confirm that it is a nerve problem. Because you are not totally convinced that it is tts, you should first be certain.

I personally saw a neurologist, orthopedic surg. and a podiatrist. I was swayed to do the surgery when the neurologist said that she felt my nerve was deteriorating. The orthopedic promised a complete fix, with all my running like before, and well...perhaps he thought it would unfold in that manner.

If you really don't have walking pain, and have only had it for 6 months, I would not be quick to jump to surgery. How bad is it when you run? I remember trying to train thru it and I was lucky to run a mile (sharp pain in the nerve)and then the calf pain too would bug me all day. I also was constantly awakened during sleep too.

Hey if you do the surgery deal, I want you to post here on your training afterward. I am looking for how people return to running. I am making it up as I go along.

Good Luck

wendyn on 10/03/01 at 23:12 (062198)

Crazy J- a nerve conduction test may help confirm TTS. Many doctors will not do surgery without a positive test.

I used to feel that way about running and aerobics too. Then I went through about an 18 month period where walking was excruciating. I now can walk pain free most of the time - and I am much more accepting of my limitations.

If you have not already done so, please consider the following:
The nerve conduction test
Full medical including blood work up for systemic problems like lupus, arthritits, diabetes, b12 and thyroid
Get a second opinion, preferably from a different type of doctor - a podiatrist if you've seen an orthpedic or an orthpedic if you've seen a pod. Do your homework - and let us know what happens!!!!!!!

Crazy J. on 10/04/01 at 09:35 (062212)

Yes, I am Justin and changed my name when I had difficulty posting from a new location.
Only an orthopedic surgeon has looked at me, but he may send me to a podiatrist after my next appointment (Oct. 16).
I will try NSAID in combination with orthotics as well as electro-stim and ice. I have only run once since I got my orthotics. Although, there was no real pain, the left foot did not feel the same as the right one. Because of a string of pre-existing injuries to my shin and groin, my old coach advised me not to run until next semester. So, that's what I'll do.
If I can run 10 miles a week with minimal pain, I will not have surgery and be content to run with slower buddies. Even still, with limited training, I think I could still run 21:00 for a 5K and 5:30 mile, which I will be satisfied with at this point.
I would hate to see it come to surgey, but if it's the only chance to run again, so be it.

Chris M. on 10/04/01 at 20:37 (062260)

If you can do the mile in under 6 with tts I'd say you are one lucky person. I am thinking that you may try to get back in the saddle and it will come over you all over again. But that is a big MAYBE

I'd use the orthotics alot right now and get the pressure off the nerve. I did have a hopeful period in life where they thought they could get the nerve calmed down and thus it would resolve. Part of this was my fault as you see I think I was too tenacious and wanted to run, run. I do not like to sit still.

I am still not sitting so still and although I run poorly, in my opinion, I still do it.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/03/01 at 15:41 (062170)

Did you have a nerve conduction velocity test?
Ed

Crazy J. on 10/03/01 at 16:49 (062175)

No, I have not done a nerve conduction velocity test and have never heard of such a thing. I initially thought that I had either PF or Post Tib Tendonitits, but my external signs seemed to make my doctor pretty sure that it's TTS.

Chris M. on 10/03/01 at 18:04 (062179)

Hi. I wonder if you are Justin, to whom I previously wrote on this board? Well, I would like to add, has more than one physician looked at you? If only an orthopedic surgeon has looked at this, you may consider having a neurologist confirm that it is a nerve problem. Because you are not totally convinced that it is tts, you should first be certain.

I personally saw a neurologist, orthopedic surg. and a podiatrist. I was swayed to do the surgery when the neurologist said that she felt my nerve was deteriorating. The orthopedic promised a complete fix, with all my running like before, and well...perhaps he thought it would unfold in that manner.

If you really don't have walking pain, and have only had it for 6 months, I would not be quick to jump to surgery. How bad is it when you run? I remember trying to train thru it and I was lucky to run a mile (sharp pain in the nerve)and then the calf pain too would bug me all day. I also was constantly awakened during sleep too.

Hey if you do the surgery deal, I want you to post here on your training afterward. I am looking for how people return to running. I am making it up as I go along.

Good Luck

wendyn on 10/03/01 at 23:12 (062198)

Crazy J- a nerve conduction test may help confirm TTS. Many doctors will not do surgery without a positive test.

I used to feel that way about running and aerobics too. Then I went through about an 18 month period where walking was excruciating. I now can walk pain free most of the time - and I am much more accepting of my limitations.

If you have not already done so, please consider the following:
The nerve conduction test
Full medical including blood work up for systemic problems like lupus, arthritits, diabetes, b12 and thyroid
Get a second opinion, preferably from a different type of doctor - a podiatrist if you've seen an orthpedic or an orthpedic if you've seen a pod. Do your homework - and let us know what happens!!!!!!!

Crazy J. on 10/04/01 at 09:35 (062212)

Yes, I am Justin and changed my name when I had difficulty posting from a new location.
Only an orthopedic surgeon has looked at me, but he may send me to a podiatrist after my next appointment (Oct. 16).
I will try NSAID in combination with orthotics as well as electro-stim and ice. I have only run once since I got my orthotics. Although, there was no real pain, the left foot did not feel the same as the right one. Because of a string of pre-existing injuries to my shin and groin, my old coach advised me not to run until next semester. So, that's what I'll do.
If I can run 10 miles a week with minimal pain, I will not have surgery and be content to run with slower buddies. Even still, with limited training, I think I could still run 21:00 for a 5K and 5:30 mile, which I will be satisfied with at this point.
I would hate to see it come to surgey, but if it's the only chance to run again, so be it.

Chris M. on 10/04/01 at 20:37 (062260)

If you can do the mile in under 6 with tts I'd say you are one lucky person. I am thinking that you may try to get back in the saddle and it will come over you all over again. But that is a big MAYBE

I'd use the orthotics alot right now and get the pressure off the nerve. I did have a hopeful period in life where they thought they could get the nerve calmed down and thus it would resolve. Part of this was my fault as you see I think I was too tenacious and wanted to run, run. I do not like to sit still.

I am still not sitting so still and although I run poorly, in my opinion, I still do it.