Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Protection from PF flare up

Posted by Ron G. on 10/03/01 at 22:02 (062192)

I'm post ESW (2X) and I'm working back to normal activity. No pain but w/o a very dedicated stretching regiman I'm sure I'd be in trouble. My question, I'm a basketball offical and the season starts in about 6 weeks. It's been recommended to me that I where a running shoe vs. a basketball shoe, do you concur?
What type of running shoe would you recommend? I was planning to get a maximum cushioning shoe with stability being a second priority. Is there an appliance or foot brace that I could where while officiating to increase the protection of the fascia? Tape has been a nightmare. During activity and when removing I rip skin off on the top of foot. I use orthotics religiously.

Re: To Ron Protection from PF flare up

Pauline on 10/04/01 at 08:08 (062204)

Ron,
I think you pose a very important question in an area that could really use some study. Unfortunately I don't have any new answers for you, because you are doing the things my doctors told me after each one of my 'cures' from P.F. If that was all there was to it, maybe I wouldn't be on case number 3 right now.

I'd really like a study done on people who are supposedly 'cured' to follow them for 3 to 5 years down the road. Maybe then more accurate data would show if religious exercise, orthotics, continued use of night splints, specific shoes, daily massage, or what exactly helps to provide the security from getting a new case again.

It would also be interesting to know if one case of P.F. predisposes a person to others or can changes in one's health status or added stress
trigger new cases.

Given the length of time people suffer when they have P.F. and the distruction it does to their earning power, their family life and their mental health, I certainly believe more follow up studies are in order.

I wish you continued good health, free from P.F., for years to come.

Re: Protection from PF flare up

Glenn X on 10/04/01 at 19:09 (062248)

Ron: GNR sells tape remover. It's a tear-open packet with a saturated little pad that you rub on the leading edge of the tape as you peel it off. It comes away much easier. I find just rolling the tape off, starting at my toes and working to my heel so that I end up with a pencil-thick roll of tape works fine without the pad. I then use the pad afterwards to remove remaining adhesive. I use 1.5' white athletic tape too. It comes off easier than some.

Re: To Ron Protection from PF flare up

Pauline on 10/04/01 at 08:08 (062204)

Ron,
I think you pose a very important question in an area that could really use some study. Unfortunately I don't have any new answers for you, because you are doing the things my doctors told me after each one of my 'cures' from P.F. If that was all there was to it, maybe I wouldn't be on case number 3 right now.

I'd really like a study done on people who are supposedly 'cured' to follow them for 3 to 5 years down the road. Maybe then more accurate data would show if religious exercise, orthotics, continued use of night splints, specific shoes, daily massage, or what exactly helps to provide the security from getting a new case again.

It would also be interesting to know if one case of P.F. predisposes a person to others or can changes in one's health status or added stress
trigger new cases.

Given the length of time people suffer when they have P.F. and the distruction it does to their earning power, their family life and their mental health, I certainly believe more follow up studies are in order.

I wish you continued good health, free from P.F., for years to come.

Re: Protection from PF flare up

Glenn X on 10/04/01 at 19:09 (062248)

Ron: GNR sells tape remover. It's a tear-open packet with a saturated little pad that you rub on the leading edge of the tape as you peel it off. It comes away much easier. I find just rolling the tape off, starting at my toes and working to my heel so that I end up with a pencil-thick roll of tape works fine without the pad. I then use the pad afterwards to remove remaining adhesive. I use 1.5' white athletic tape too. It comes off easier than some.