Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Just diagnosed with TTS

Posted by Wendy G on 10/04/01 at 06:16 (062201)

Hellow everyone. I was just diagnosed yesterday with both Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and TTS. Both are on my right side. I have never heard of TTS before until yesterday. According to the doctor who diagnosed me (a rheumatologist), she stated that it was caught in the beginning stages of TTS and CTS. I initially went to see her for confirmation of my GP's diagnosis of Fibromyalgia, which she also confirmed.
I am not exactly sure what I can do to prevent further damage. Has anyone found a way that works best for them that they could share?

Thank you.

Wendy

Re: Just diagnosed with TTS

Crazy J. on 10/04/01 at 14:18 (062234)

My first question is how severe is your pain? I use custom made orthotics (which cost $220) and have solved 50-60% of the pain. Do you know the cause of your TTS? That could play a role in how it should be treated.
Surgery should be only a last resort.

cindyp on 10/04/01 at 17:03 (062239)

I am sorry I disagree. I was finally diagnosed and nothing but surgery ws discussed. I had a very competent doctor. I am not sorry I feel immensely better.

wendyn on 10/04/01 at 18:40 (062245)

Because of what seems to be a low success rate with TTS surgery - I agree that it should be a last resort. As Crazy J says - it's important to try to determine the cause.

cindyp on 10/04/01 at 18:44 (062246)

That's true when you find the cause and if it can be determined to be an anatomical problem by that i mean a varicose vein tumor or whatever else, get it fixed. I just see no reason to set there in this agony (and it is).

Re: agony yes, but

Tammie on 10/04/01 at 20:11 (062254)

I think there are good and bad things and should all be looked into intelligently and throughly. In the end the dr. you choose to help you, you and he or she should discuss all treatments and aske questions till you feel comfortable with what ever the choice may be. It is your right to research all means to a good outcome.And it is also your right to make a informed decision about how to treat your body.

Just remember there will be good outcomes and there will be bad ones,make sure u have all the information before doing anything so that you have the best chance of being on the positive side!

You can be in agony after surgery also, as we have seen. I am still out on a verdict and I had the surgery 5 weeks ago.I think excessive pain can make you do things that maybe you should have taken more time to research,looking for anything at all to give you relief.

Good luck in your research and ask many questions that is how you learn but also keep a open mind to what you and your choice of Dr. suggest.
Good luck and good thoughts for u and a hug also.

Tammie on 10/04/01 at 20:18 (062256)

I wish I could give you good answers , but I am not sure I can. It seems to be a hit and miss sort of thing. What may work for one may not for another. Have you tryed the cortisone treatments? Physical therapy?Medications? Thease are a few things that may be helpful. You really need to talk with your dr. about the course of treatment for you. It seems to be a general consensus that over doing it (on your feet) tend to soemtimes make it a bit more painful at the end of day. I hope others give some advice if not why not repost your question. I am not a dr. and have limited knowledge and feel uncomfortable giving it.

Take care and keep asking and searching! Hugs to u friend.

Chris M. on 10/04/01 at 20:31 (062259)

What did the rheumatologist say was her treatment plan for you at this point? Did she send you home on a script? Was she just a consult for your GP and you are to return to the GP?

Hmm. I don't know that you can prevent further damage. The orthotics altering your foot fall as you walk would take stress off the post tib nerve, and maybe hold it's status in check. If your gait is to blame at all for the tts. But your carpal tunnel, wow, is your job involved with that? It is strange that it is all right sided on upper and lower extermities. Have you considered a neurologist looking at this? It wouldn't hurt that is for sure.

Good Luck.

Re: Thank you.

Wendy G on 10/05/01 at 06:08 (062274)

To answer some of your questions. I sprained my right ankle twice in the past ten years in the same way. From what I have read so far, that could have possibly triggered it. The TTS is very mild at this point, I just have discomfort when I don't walk on it for a little while, like watching TV or sleeping at night. When I get up I am all stiff. After a few minutes, it feels a little better. There are times I feel pain in my arch and there is always the numbness in my toes, but that is in both feet. As for the CTS, I work with computers so I have been using gel pads on my mouse and keyboard for years now. I guess it just wasn't enough. I bought a brace for those times when the gel pads are not enough.
I was sent to the Rheumatologist as a consult and second opinion by my doctor. He wanted her to confim his diagnosis of Fibromyalgia. I was diagnosed 18 months ago and it was getting to the point where I wasn't getting any relief from the pain. She did confirm this diagnosis and found the TTS and CTS, neither of which were mentioned to me before. I have seen a Neurologist and an Orthopedist, both of which stated there was nothing wrong with me. Since I always thought that the pain in my wrist and ankle were part of my Fibro I never mentioned them. Now that I know what they are I am more interested in finding out info about them and how people deal with it before surgery. She has put me on steriods for 15 days, but after my first dose, I felt very sick and my chest felt constricted. So I am calling her today to let her know I am not comfortable with the prednisone. Not sure what she will do.
Thank you all so much for you answers so far. This is all new to me so if you could share your experiences, that would help me.

Wendy

Joan S on 10/05/01 at 18:06 (062337)

I just recently had TTS surgery- 2 weeks post op and even now it is so much easier to walk. Just started putting weight on foot and 100% better then when I went in. Just have a good ortho specializing in foot and ankle surgery. It is well worth it. I wish I had not waited so long because I was afraid of the surgery.

cindy on 10/05/01 at 19:06 (062343)

I totally agree who was your dr.'s name? And it's so amazing how much better you are starting to feel isn't it?

Joan S on 10/09/01 at 14:45 (062552)

Cindy,

It is now over 2 1/2 weeks and I am returning to work. I have very little discomfort from TTS incision. Hematoma where the fibroma was removed and still a little tender. Have to just massage it. Great Dr. in Houston - Dr. Donald Baxter - very well known among the professional athletics today - specializes in only foot and ankle.

AJ on 10/09/01 at 15:49 (062557)

Wendy G,

Hi, you asked what can be done to prevent further damage. I myself had to make some lifestyle changes. I switched from high impact sports like step aerobics to biking and swimming. I stretch alot as recommended by my physical therapist. I have new orthotics to correct the mechanical problem in my feet. I wear an ankle brace every time I work out in order to prevent further sprains. This stuff worked ok for me. I eventually had the surgery but I continue to do the above things.

I read an excellent book about dealing with nerve pain ...its the Mayo Clinic book about Chronic pain. I found it very helpful.

Good luck to you!

Crazy J. on 10/04/01 at 14:18 (062234)

My first question is how severe is your pain? I use custom made orthotics (which cost $220) and have solved 50-60% of the pain. Do you know the cause of your TTS? That could play a role in how it should be treated.
Surgery should be only a last resort.

cindyp on 10/04/01 at 17:03 (062239)

I am sorry I disagree. I was finally diagnosed and nothing but surgery ws discussed. I had a very competent doctor. I am not sorry I feel immensely better.

wendyn on 10/04/01 at 18:40 (062245)

Because of what seems to be a low success rate with TTS surgery - I agree that it should be a last resort. As Crazy J says - it's important to try to determine the cause.

cindyp on 10/04/01 at 18:44 (062246)

That's true when you find the cause and if it can be determined to be an anatomical problem by that i mean a varicose vein tumor or whatever else, get it fixed. I just see no reason to set there in this agony (and it is).

Re: agony yes, but

Tammie on 10/04/01 at 20:11 (062254)

I think there are good and bad things and should all be looked into intelligently and throughly. In the end the dr. you choose to help you, you and he or she should discuss all treatments and aske questions till you feel comfortable with what ever the choice may be. It is your right to research all means to a good outcome.And it is also your right to make a informed decision about how to treat your body.

Just remember there will be good outcomes and there will be bad ones,make sure u have all the information before doing anything so that you have the best chance of being on the positive side!

You can be in agony after surgery also, as we have seen. I am still out on a verdict and I had the surgery 5 weeks ago.I think excessive pain can make you do things that maybe you should have taken more time to research,looking for anything at all to give you relief.

Good luck in your research and ask many questions that is how you learn but also keep a open mind to what you and your choice of Dr. suggest.
Good luck and good thoughts for u and a hug also.

Tammie on 10/04/01 at 20:18 (062256)

I wish I could give you good answers , but I am not sure I can. It seems to be a hit and miss sort of thing. What may work for one may not for another. Have you tryed the cortisone treatments? Physical therapy?Medications? Thease are a few things that may be helpful. You really need to talk with your dr. about the course of treatment for you. It seems to be a general consensus that over doing it (on your feet) tend to soemtimes make it a bit more painful at the end of day. I hope others give some advice if not why not repost your question. I am not a dr. and have limited knowledge and feel uncomfortable giving it.

Take care and keep asking and searching! Hugs to u friend.

Chris M. on 10/04/01 at 20:31 (062259)

What did the rheumatologist say was her treatment plan for you at this point? Did she send you home on a script? Was she just a consult for your GP and you are to return to the GP?

Hmm. I don't know that you can prevent further damage. The orthotics altering your foot fall as you walk would take stress off the post tib nerve, and maybe hold it's status in check. If your gait is to blame at all for the tts. But your carpal tunnel, wow, is your job involved with that? It is strange that it is all right sided on upper and lower extermities. Have you considered a neurologist looking at this? It wouldn't hurt that is for sure.

Good Luck.

Re: Thank you.

Wendy G on 10/05/01 at 06:08 (062274)

To answer some of your questions. I sprained my right ankle twice in the past ten years in the same way. From what I have read so far, that could have possibly triggered it. The TTS is very mild at this point, I just have discomfort when I don't walk on it for a little while, like watching TV or sleeping at night. When I get up I am all stiff. After a few minutes, it feels a little better. There are times I feel pain in my arch and there is always the numbness in my toes, but that is in both feet. As for the CTS, I work with computers so I have been using gel pads on my mouse and keyboard for years now. I guess it just wasn't enough. I bought a brace for those times when the gel pads are not enough.
I was sent to the Rheumatologist as a consult and second opinion by my doctor. He wanted her to confim his diagnosis of Fibromyalgia. I was diagnosed 18 months ago and it was getting to the point where I wasn't getting any relief from the pain. She did confirm this diagnosis and found the TTS and CTS, neither of which were mentioned to me before. I have seen a Neurologist and an Orthopedist, both of which stated there was nothing wrong with me. Since I always thought that the pain in my wrist and ankle were part of my Fibro I never mentioned them. Now that I know what they are I am more interested in finding out info about them and how people deal with it before surgery. She has put me on steriods for 15 days, but after my first dose, I felt very sick and my chest felt constricted. So I am calling her today to let her know I am not comfortable with the prednisone. Not sure what she will do.
Thank you all so much for you answers so far. This is all new to me so if you could share your experiences, that would help me.

Wendy

Joan S on 10/05/01 at 18:06 (062337)

I just recently had TTS surgery- 2 weeks post op and even now it is so much easier to walk. Just started putting weight on foot and 100% better then when I went in. Just have a good ortho specializing in foot and ankle surgery. It is well worth it. I wish I had not waited so long because I was afraid of the surgery.

cindy on 10/05/01 at 19:06 (062343)

I totally agree who was your dr.'s name? And it's so amazing how much better you are starting to feel isn't it?

Joan S on 10/09/01 at 14:45 (062552)

Cindy,

It is now over 2 1/2 weeks and I am returning to work. I have very little discomfort from TTS incision. Hematoma where the fibroma was removed and still a little tender. Have to just massage it. Great Dr. in Houston - Dr. Donald Baxter - very well known among the professional athletics today - specializes in only foot and ankle.

AJ on 10/09/01 at 15:49 (062557)

Wendy G,

Hi, you asked what can be done to prevent further damage. I myself had to make some lifestyle changes. I switched from high impact sports like step aerobics to biking and swimming. I stretch alot as recommended by my physical therapist. I have new orthotics to correct the mechanical problem in my feet. I wear an ankle brace every time I work out in order to prevent further sprains. This stuff worked ok for me. I eventually had the surgery but I continue to do the above things.

I read an excellent book about dealing with nerve pain ...its the Mayo Clinic book about Chronic pain. I found it very helpful.

Good luck to you!