Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

can anyone answer this ?

Posted by Tammie on 10/05/01 at 09:57 (062293)

I have been wondering , it is 5 weeks post tts, I still find it very difficult to keep a shoe on for more then 20 min without the olddddddddddd sensations returning.It seems the shoes push into the ankle area? I have tried a double sock, new shoes (Nb 608) Old shoes wider shoes. I have the 3/4 orthodics in them.

What does not hurt my foot and I can really get around in is the darn air cast boot, it does not bother foot at all???? Gives good support ,I can wear orthodic in it have walked in grocery store without allot of pain.Is there something I am missing?

I do have numbness still in areas under foot , also I have a knot where there were stitches it makes a sore area .When I hang foot for any time just sitting with nothing on all the nervy stuff appears.Does this fit in with the healing phase? Or am I missing something? Should I try another type shoe? I am getting frustrated with the not being able to wear a shoe without pain ( the throbbing tingling ) I do not have the jolts anymore tho thankfully. This is more of a annoying irritation type feeling.

Just would be grateful for any thoughts or advice! Thank you in advance!

Re: can anyone answer this ?

susie on 10/05/01 at 11:44 (062297)

I still have the pins and needles and weard feeelings 5 months later. I have diferent size shoes that I have to switch around sometimes, a size 8 on the good foot and a 9 on the bad foot and then there are days that I can wear both sz 8. I only wear sneakers and find a arch support really helps when I walk or spend time on my feet. Susie

Re: Thank u ,

tammie on 10/05/01 at 19:42 (062345)

Thank u for taking time to answer me. Are you back to your normal duties yet? Do you work ouside of the home? Does your dr. think this a normal healing? I do feel somewhat better then pre surgery, and maybe I am rushing things again,I just dont know sometimes how fast I can expect to get there lol. I just thought I would be further along at least in my shoe. I have noticed today and it really is weird that my surgery foot looks bigger then the other foot I never really noticed how much till I was holding them up and looking at difference. Most of swelling seems to be down,I have tried elastic hose and sleeve, but cannot stand the compression on ankle I want to rip it off as it annoys me. Now a loose sock is ok. I have been thinking of another shoe but really hate to do this again,have you tried clogs? I wondered if they would not press against the ankle? Thank u and a hug to u friend

Re: Helloo, any more takers?

Tammie on 10/06/01 at 11:33 (062379)

Just thinking about things and wondering what next move should be? Any thoughts? Thank you.

susie on 10/06/01 at 11:56 (062380)

Tammie, I have not been to work in 5 months. I still have problems baring weight on the foot. I just went for a second opinion so hopefully I get some info soon. I was told that if the surgery was a success I would be back to work in 4 to 6 weeks. I have been in and out of a walking boot ever since the surgery. I am now doing aqua therapy for range of motion.I lost most of the motion being in the boot for the last 5 weeks. I hate to be negative but this whole thing has been a nightmare . Now for me compression socks and ankle supports feel great,the tighter the better. Can you walk in bare feet? I cant take but a few steps with out shoes. talk later susie

Re: Susie,

Tammie on 10/06/01 at 14:40 (062391)

Yes I can understand that you are feeling as tho it is a nightmare. Anything that does not result in how we had hoped could feel like a nightmare.I really am sorry you are having so many troubles, I am really thinking that feet are even more complex then I will ever ever understand.

Could I walk in bare feet, I suppose maybe I could, stiffly, as the whole foot feels stiff. When I put my foot to the floor and just sitting I feel the old tingling and throbbing feeling the hot feeling also. But not as bad as before the surgery. I could not sleep or handle the degree of pain at that time. It is less now I can handle this to a point, but have the need to get the shoes on. The compression feels good as for support, but the pressure in a time starts the tingling and irritating feelings if i could cut out around that area it would be great lol. I dont know , I just dont know anymore, I am not sure if I should just give up and live with things the way they are go back to work and life and what ever is going to happen will be I guess.

This is very depressing. thanks for being here!

wendyn on 10/09/01 at 13:55 (062549)

Tammie - have you tried Birks? They seem to work well for TTS patients because there isn't any pressure on the inner ankle.

Re: Nope havent tried them yet may have to add them to my list yet.

Tammie on 10/10/01 at 19:49 (062691)

Thank u , no i have not tried them , but may yet. Thank u!

Tana on 10/14/01 at 09:49 (062963)

where do you buy the Birkenstock do they have a raised heel? thanks

susie on 10/05/01 at 11:44 (062297)

I still have the pins and needles and weard feeelings 5 months later. I have diferent size shoes that I have to switch around sometimes, a size 8 on the good foot and a 9 on the bad foot and then there are days that I can wear both sz 8. I only wear sneakers and find a arch support really helps when I walk or spend time on my feet. Susie

tammie on 10/05/01 at 19:42 (062345)

Thank u for taking time to answer me. Are you back to your normal duties yet? Do you work ouside of the home? Does your dr. think this a normal healing? I do feel somewhat better then pre surgery, and maybe I am rushing things again,I just dont know sometimes how fast I can expect to get there lol. I just thought I would be further along at least in my shoe. I have noticed today and it really is weird that my surgery foot looks bigger then the other foot I never really noticed how much till I was holding them up and looking at difference. Most of swelling seems to be down,I have tried elastic hose and sleeve, but cannot stand the compression on ankle I want to rip it off as it annoys me. Now a loose sock is ok. I have been thinking of another shoe but really hate to do this again,have you tried clogs? I wondered if they would not press against the ankle? Thank u and a hug to u friend

Re: Helloo, any more takers?

Tammie on 10/06/01 at 11:33 (062379)

Just thinking about things and wondering what next move should be? Any thoughts? Thank you.

susie on 10/06/01 at 11:56 (062380)

Tammie, I have not been to work in 5 months. I still have problems baring weight on the foot. I just went for a second opinion so hopefully I get some info soon. I was told that if the surgery was a success I would be back to work in 4 to 6 weeks. I have been in and out of a walking boot ever since the surgery. I am now doing aqua therapy for range of motion.I lost most of the motion being in the boot for the last 5 weeks. I hate to be negative but this whole thing has been a nightmare . Now for me compression socks and ankle supports feel great,the tighter the better. Can you walk in bare feet? I cant take but a few steps with out shoes. talk later susie

Re: Susie,

Tammie on 10/06/01 at 14:40 (062391)

Yes I can understand that you are feeling as tho it is a nightmare. Anything that does not result in how we had hoped could feel like a nightmare.I really am sorry you are having so many troubles, I am really thinking that feet are even more complex then I will ever ever understand.

Could I walk in bare feet, I suppose maybe I could, stiffly, as the whole foot feels stiff. When I put my foot to the floor and just sitting I feel the old tingling and throbbing feeling the hot feeling also. But not as bad as before the surgery. I could not sleep or handle the degree of pain at that time. It is less now I can handle this to a point, but have the need to get the shoes on. The compression feels good as for support, but the pressure in a time starts the tingling and irritating feelings if i could cut out around that area it would be great lol. I dont know , I just dont know anymore, I am not sure if I should just give up and live with things the way they are go back to work and life and what ever is going to happen will be I guess.

This is very depressing. thanks for being here!

wendyn on 10/09/01 at 13:55 (062549)

Tammie - have you tried Birks? They seem to work well for TTS patients because there isn't any pressure on the inner ankle.

Tammie on 10/10/01 at 19:49 (062691)

Thank u , no i have not tried them , but may yet. Thank u!

Tana on 10/14/01 at 09:49 (062963)

where do you buy the Birkenstock do they have a raised heel? thanks