Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

lots of questions

Posted by Tammy C on 10/05/01 at 16:01 (062320)

I have been dealing with a spur for 3 years now. the first year i did not know why my foot was hurting the 2nd finally went and talk to dr and x-rays showed a spur. Started with shots, ice, una (sp) cast physical therapy, my husband recently came back into the USAF and i had to have amilitary dr and again i had to do it all over again this year so far this year i have been in 3 removables casts for 6 weeks each for damaging ligaments in my legs and the tendons in my ankle because i started walking on my tippy toes to keep the pressure of my foot. I've once again had a series of shots, ice, night splint and physical therepy. I was told that i can only have a set of 3 shots in 6 months before they will try a new approach. I am finally in pre-op. My surgery date is set for Oct 23 2001. My dr really isn't for it but i can't deal with this pain. I would rather cut off my foot and prolly feel better than to have this pain now. My 3 little toes goes numb all the time and sometimes the pain make me nauseaous. Can anyone tell me exactly what to expect? All the dr gave me was a 5 page pamphlet to look at and it only told the definitions of feet pain. He told me that i would be on crutches for 3 weeks and no weighbearing for 3 weeks. My husband is going TDY tomorrow and won't be back for 9 months (as we all know from the Sept 11 attack) why he is going. God bless America!!! I have a 15,14,and 12 year old that can help me but we all know what teenagers are like LOL i can't post pone surgery though i feel if i do that i will end up damaging my foot more that what i have already. Any advice about what they will do in surgery will be greatly appreciated!!!!Tammy

Re: lots of questions

Andrea R on 10/05/01 at 17:18 (062333)

Tammy,

Get a good pair of bicycle gloves to save your hands. See if you can get crutch training before surgery so you can practice. If you have access to a wheelchair I found it allowed me to get around the main level of the house to do simple things like cooking and feeding the cat.

Get you meds before surgery so you don't have to stop at the store on the way home from surgery. I had my surgery with a spinal and the minute you feel even minor pain as it wears off, ask for pain meds. Take them before the pain gets bad.

Best of luck,

Andrea

BrianG on 10/07/01 at 12:23 (062434)

Hi TammyC,

I hope your are not having surgery, just because you can't stand the pain any longer. If you have read these pages for awhile, you'll see many people with failed surgery, who have much worse pain after the fact. With the right pain meds, you can put off the surgery for a year, or so. By this time, your hubby will be home, you'll have had time to get 2nd and 3rd opinions, and ESWT may be closer to your home. If you need some more info on meds that will work, I'll be glad to talk to you. Regards

BCG

Re: lots of questions..Brian

TammyC on 10/08/01 at 09:35 (062464)

Thanks for the info and i looked into the machine but because we are military i have to go with what they have to tell me unless i want to go off tri-care and pay an incredible amount of money which th military will not pay for. Needless to say i have to get my doctor's approval for a referral to do this. The pain is soooo bad that i welcome the pain of the surgery. I've been through a few surgeries not to mention 3 births in which one was 52 hours of hard labor and no episiotomy and one child that was 10 lbs and no episiotomy all of my births was totally natural with no pain meds my 10 lber was a breeze my hubby fell asleep in my bed while i was in labor and the nurses only checked on me twice!!! A breeze of a birth. This pain is horrible nothing like birth at all!!! I can't stand the feeling that it gives me when it shoots up my leg and makes me literraly nauseaus. I've been through 3 years of this and every year it's getting worse. I think i am going to go ahead with the surgery at least then i have something to complin about when it hurts LOL thanks again for your advice ad please keep my hubby in your prayers!!!!
Thanks again!!!
TLC- I like how you did your initials

Gail B on 10/09/01 at 10:54 (062538)

Tammy,
I had PF release done 'the old-fashioned way', on Left foot 3 years ago, after suffering for 2 years. It is great and pain-free now! YIPPEEEE
My doctor became ill and I went to a different doc, who did laser surgery for PF on my right foot in Dec of 2000. I have not had success with this surgery. I am now planning on having ESWT soon. I have had to go to three different doctors, two who didn't know what to do, said I had a 'MESS'...this I know already. Like you, I have teenagers, 4 of them, and I would have less pain if I took a chainsaw and whacked my right foot off. I can not even go to the grocery, b/c it hurts soo bad. Make sure you have confidence in your doctor and that he has had success with this surgery. Good luck to you and your family.

Andrea R on 10/05/01 at 17:18 (062333)

Tammy,

Get a good pair of bicycle gloves to save your hands. See if you can get crutch training before surgery so you can practice. If you have access to a wheelchair I found it allowed me to get around the main level of the house to do simple things like cooking and feeding the cat.

Get you meds before surgery so you don't have to stop at the store on the way home from surgery. I had my surgery with a spinal and the minute you feel even minor pain as it wears off, ask for pain meds. Take them before the pain gets bad.

Best of luck,

Andrea

BrianG on 10/07/01 at 12:23 (062434)

Hi TammyC,

I hope your are not having surgery, just because you can't stand the pain any longer. If you have read these pages for awhile, you'll see many people with failed surgery, who have much worse pain after the fact. With the right pain meds, you can put off the surgery for a year, or so. By this time, your hubby will be home, you'll have had time to get 2nd and 3rd opinions, and ESWT may be closer to your home. If you need some more info on meds that will work, I'll be glad to talk to you. Regards

BCG

Re: lots of questions..Brian

TammyC on 10/08/01 at 09:35 (062464)

Thanks for the info and i looked into the machine but because we are military i have to go with what they have to tell me unless i want to go off tri-care and pay an incredible amount of money which th military will not pay for. Needless to say i have to get my doctor's approval for a referral to do this. The pain is soooo bad that i welcome the pain of the surgery. I've been through a few surgeries not to mention 3 births in which one was 52 hours of hard labor and no episiotomy and one child that was 10 lbs and no episiotomy all of my births was totally natural with no pain meds my 10 lber was a breeze my hubby fell asleep in my bed while i was in labor and the nurses only checked on me twice!!! A breeze of a birth. This pain is horrible nothing like birth at all!!! I can't stand the feeling that it gives me when it shoots up my leg and makes me literraly nauseaus. I've been through 3 years of this and every year it's getting worse. I think i am going to go ahead with the surgery at least then i have something to complin about when it hurts LOL thanks again for your advice ad please keep my hubby in your prayers!!!!
Thanks again!!!
TLC- I like how you did your initials

Gail B on 10/09/01 at 10:54 (062538)

Tammy,
I had PF release done 'the old-fashioned way', on Left foot 3 years ago, after suffering for 2 years. It is great and pain-free now! YIPPEEEE
My doctor became ill and I went to a different doc, who did laser surgery for PF on my right foot in Dec of 2000. I have not had success with this surgery. I am now planning on having ESWT soon. I have had to go to three different doctors, two who didn't know what to do, said I had a 'MESS'...this I know already. Like you, I have teenagers, 4 of them, and I would have less pain if I took a chainsaw and whacked my right foot off. I can not even go to the grocery, b/c it hurts soo bad. Make sure you have confidence in your doctor and that he has had success with this surgery. Good luck to you and your family.