Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

post-EMG and ankle exercises

Posted by Dona on 10/05/01 at 18:08 (062338)

Two-parter here...
1) In the week following the EMG, I could actually walk better than I had before. The pain wasn't immediate and I could walk for short distances with hardly any pain at all. By late afternoon, it was hurting again, and when I was non-weight-bearing, I had more sharp pains running thru the inside arch area and the outer edge of my foot. Is there a connection there?
2)The EMG was negative, but the ortho dr said I have 'classic TTS symptoms' (whatever THEY may be). He wanted to give me a cortisone shot and I chickened out, asking for an alternative to try first. He gave me some ankle exercises to do for six weeks. The day after I started them, the foot was more tender, but not bad. Today, however (3 days into it), my foot is just plain sore and the exercises hurt. I'm having more difficulty walking again and more stiffness after I've been sitting for a bit. I'm starting out slow (I thought) with doing them twice a day. Is this to be expected, and something that will work it's way out, or am I further injuring my foot?
Thanks for any advice.
Dona

Re: post-EMG and ankle exercises

Angie on 10/06/01 at 11:16 (062375)

Hi Donna! I have had PF for more than a year. It has been my experience through trial and error that exercise causes me more pain. At first I thought No Pain No Gain so I would push the exercise. I found out the hard way, this was obviousley doing more harm than good. Tune into your body and it will tell you what is best.. Unfortunatley it took me a long time to learn this. I finaly found a Physiotherapist that informed me that I should not be doing any calf stretching without my orthotic on, and only do exercise, that I can do on my back, (never standing). If you don't have orthotics try a Birkenstock sandal. I wore mine from morning until night. I found they did wonders for me. Good Luck

Re: post-EMG and ankle exercises

Angie on 10/06/01 at 11:16 (062375)

Hi Donna! I have had PF for more than a year. It has been my experience through trial and error that exercise causes me more pain. At first I thought No Pain No Gain so I would push the exercise. I found out the hard way, this was obviousley doing more harm than good. Tune into your body and it will tell you what is best.. Unfortunatley it took me a long time to learn this. I finaly found a Physiotherapist that informed me that I should not be doing any calf stretching without my orthotic on, and only do exercise, that I can do on my back, (never standing). If you don't have orthotics try a Birkenstock sandal. I wore mine from morning until night. I found they did wonders for me. Good Luck