Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Swelling and curled toes post-op PF...Is this normal?

Posted by judyml on 10/06/01 at 12:00 (062381)

Hi
I am 8 weeks post op open fasciotomy and have had numerous post op complications, one of which being the development of the cuboid syndrome. I will not go into all the problems again, however, I have noticed that when i stand barefoot, my left foot looks the way it should be and my right foot, the one that was operated on, does not look right. My toes are not touching the floor as they should be, they are in fact sort of bent or curled and i see that the ball of the underside of my foot closest to the toes is very swollen. I try to press my toes flat so that they are level with the floor and I am really unable to do so, mainly because the ball of the foot is so swollen and I can't get the toes close to the floor. When I showed this to my doctor, he sort of stared and really had no answer. He said I am taking longer to heal than most people and just seem to have developed these other problems. He tells me at least I don't have the pain I had pre-operatively. That is true, but now all these other problems.
In my previous posts, I had written that I also suffered from post op numbness on the lateral underside of my foot and also a numb little toe. I am assuming that the swelling is causing this but i am not sure and I don't know if my doctor knows either.
How long do i wait before i go for testing to see whether there is some nerve damage or other defect that is a complication of the surgery.
My doctor tells me 6 months...I am wondering that if, there is some type of nerve damage that is causing the numbness, if i do wait too long, there will be no possibility of nerve damage reversal without some type of treatment. Is there any treatment at all that can correct nerve damage?Thank you for your reply
Judy

Re: Swelling and curled toes post-op PF...Is this normal?

Scott R on 10/06/01 at 12:12 (062384)

Most definitely the swelling in the ball of the foot could be causing the tingling in the toes. I would keep the foot elevated above the chest as much as possible. Compression with an ace bandage around the ball of the foot might be a good idea.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/06/01 at 12:43 (062386)

How about some physical therapy for the foot. Discuss with
your doctor. It sounds like you are shifting weight to the side
and front of your foot. Scott R rest elevation is the right
approach at this point and time. Consider pt

judyml on 10/06/01 at 12:54 (062387)

I have not yet started PT, but I am having ultra sound treatments twice a week. I could try to prop my foot up during the night but during the day would be difficult. I am also using the cam boot which gives relief when I walk. Is it normal that the ball of my foot is still so swollen after 2 months or is it possible that there is some type of nerve damage? The numbness affects my little toe and a small section, mid sole closest to the lateral edge of my foot.
Judy

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/06/01 at 14:02 (062389)

Numbness can be from swelling or from injury to either the
lateral plantar nerve or a branch of this nerve. One of the
problems with any type of plantar fascia release is that
you can have these problems for six months or more or you
could have some nerve damage. The swelling in the front of your
foot and the fact that the toes don't touch the floor could mean
that there is damage to the flexor brevis tendons . But I don't want to speculate without an indepth examination of your foot

Scott R on 10/06/01 at 14:57 (062392)

Then it sounds like I could have been mistaken in my previous rant: that lateral column damage could be affecting the nerve going to the toe, but I didn't think it came over that far until it got closer to the toe. Anyway, I would elevate and compress at night just to see how much it helps. If it swollen so much, I would first suspect the swelling is causing the tingling. I believe the tingling almost always goes away. You might try http://dmso.com for the pain and swelling if not the NSAIDs

Scott R on 10/06/01 at 15:00 (062393)

Dr. David Zuckerman, why are you hitting carriage
return
at
the
end
of
each
line?
The message box automatically does word rap. Just Curious, Scott R

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/06/01 at 16:53 (062400)

I am having a problem with my task icon bar on the side of my computer. It use to be at the bottom and then for some reason it just switched to the side of the computer screen. I can't seen to find out how to move back. So what does this have to do with my constant hitting of the return bar. Well when writing e-mails the view in the message box runs into the side icon bar I decide to hit the return bar so I could see the message and this has caused me to develop the return bar hitting habit for the past few days.

Didn't even realize I was doing this with my posting on heelspurs.com
There is no problem with my viewing of my postings when answering any questions. So Ihad better fix the e-mail message viewing box problem or just drive you crazy so more. Sorry about this.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/06/01 at 16:57 (062401)

The lateral column possible damage to the lateral plantar nerve can and does cause numbness to the last two toes. The person could be shifting her weight to the other toes and pressing on other nerves to the other toes and or swelling could be causing the tingling. Your rant about lateral column damage and the problem it causes are right on the mark !!! Your comment about reducing swelling to reduct tingling is in my opinion on the mark.

c farrant on 10/11/01 at 03:35 (062715)

I HAVE TWO VERY SWOLLEN TOES AND SOLE OF FOOT FOR THE LAST SIX TO EIGHT MONTHS. I HAVE BEEN UNDER MY DOCTOR WHERE I HAVE HAD BLOOD TESTS AND X RAYS BUT WITH NO CONCLUSION AS TO WHAT IT IS. I AM NOW WAITING TO HAVE A BONE SCAN. PLEASE COULD YOU GIVE ME YOUR OPINION. AT PRESENT IAM TAKING PAIN KILLERS BUT THEY DO NO HELP

Scott R on 10/06/01 at 12:12 (062384)

Most definitely the swelling in the ball of the foot could be causing the tingling in the toes. I would keep the foot elevated above the chest as much as possible. Compression with an ace bandage around the ball of the foot might be a good idea.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/06/01 at 12:43 (062386)

How about some physical therapy for the foot. Discuss with
your doctor. It sounds like you are shifting weight to the side
and front of your foot. Scott R rest elevation is the right
approach at this point and time. Consider pt

judyml on 10/06/01 at 12:54 (062387)

I have not yet started PT, but I am having ultra sound treatments twice a week. I could try to prop my foot up during the night but during the day would be difficult. I am also using the cam boot which gives relief when I walk. Is it normal that the ball of my foot is still so swollen after 2 months or is it possible that there is some type of nerve damage? The numbness affects my little toe and a small section, mid sole closest to the lateral edge of my foot.
Judy

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/06/01 at 14:02 (062389)

Numbness can be from swelling or from injury to either the
lateral plantar nerve or a branch of this nerve. One of the
problems with any type of plantar fascia release is that
you can have these problems for six months or more or you
could have some nerve damage. The swelling in the front of your
foot and the fact that the toes don't touch the floor could mean
that there is damage to the flexor brevis tendons . But I don't want to speculate without an indepth examination of your foot

Scott R on 10/06/01 at 14:57 (062392)

Then it sounds like I could have been mistaken in my previous rant: that lateral column damage could be affecting the nerve going to the toe, but I didn't think it came over that far until it got closer to the toe. Anyway, I would elevate and compress at night just to see how much it helps. If it swollen so much, I would first suspect the swelling is causing the tingling. I believe the tingling almost always goes away. You might try http://dmso.com for the pain and swelling if not the NSAIDs

Scott R on 10/06/01 at 15:00 (062393)

Dr. David Zuckerman, why are you hitting carriage
return
at
the
end
of
each
line?
The message box automatically does word rap. Just Curious, Scott R

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/06/01 at 16:53 (062400)

I am having a problem with my task icon bar on the side of my computer. It use to be at the bottom and then for some reason it just switched to the side of the computer screen. I can't seen to find out how to move back. So what does this have to do with my constant hitting of the return bar. Well when writing e-mails the view in the message box runs into the side icon bar I decide to hit the return bar so I could see the message and this has caused me to develop the return bar hitting habit for the past few days.

Didn't even realize I was doing this with my posting on heelspurs.com
There is no problem with my viewing of my postings when answering any questions. So Ihad better fix the e-mail message viewing box problem or just drive you crazy so more. Sorry about this.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/06/01 at 16:57 (062401)

The lateral column possible damage to the lateral plantar nerve can and does cause numbness to the last two toes. The person could be shifting her weight to the other toes and pressing on other nerves to the other toes and or swelling could be causing the tingling. Your rant about lateral column damage and the problem it causes are right on the mark !!! Your comment about reducing swelling to reduct tingling is in my opinion on the mark.

c farrant on 10/11/01 at 03:35 (062715)

I HAVE TWO VERY SWOLLEN TOES AND SOLE OF FOOT FOR THE LAST SIX TO EIGHT MONTHS. I HAVE BEEN UNDER MY DOCTOR WHERE I HAVE HAD BLOOD TESTS AND X RAYS BUT WITH NO CONCLUSION AS TO WHAT IT IS. I AM NOW WAITING TO HAVE A BONE SCAN. PLEASE COULD YOU GIVE ME YOUR OPINION. AT PRESENT IAM TAKING PAIN KILLERS BUT THEY DO NO HELP