Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

arizona, mueller, ucbl revisited,

Posted by paula on 10/07/01 at 14:39 (062442)

tomorrow an orthotist will examine my adult aquired flat feet. the idea is something plastic so i can use it in my pool as i try to start walking after being in a wheelchair for a year.
even tho dr ed mentioned an arizona or a mueller i could not find a pod who ever fitted anyone for a mueller here in atlanta and no one will fit me for an arizona. all orthotists and pods so far insist that the very device they make the most profit for happens to be just the one i need. and i have useless closet full of em now.
on tuesday i see dr. ruch as suggested by dr ed and i think dr z too for an orthotic to use on land, tho maybe the plastic thing will do the trick for that too.
. sigh. i guess i keep throwing money at these guys till one of these decades i get the right orthotic. there must be a question in here somewhere for a pod. if you can find one, please answer. am very confused, discouraged. and am probably throwing away another wad of money. what do i do? fly to missouri and find dr mueller himself? this nightmare never seems to resolve.

Re: arizona, mueller, ucbl revisited,

BG CPed on 10/07/01 at 21:59 (062449)

If you have had poor results from afo type braces. I am not a big fan of them for the fact that they can make you too dependant and make muscle weaker. Many may not agree but you can get a great deal of correction with a in shoe device and the proper shoe. In a pool i dont see why you would need a plastic afo that goes up tour calf when you are much more lighter in water.
An afo is called for for certain conditions but I agree they get prescribed too often, In my area it just so happens most insurance wont pay for foot orthotics but will pay for afo so they are more than happy to make them if needed or not.

EVA orthotic or sport sandals with velcro straps and a medial sole wedge would prob be all you need in a pool plus they will not deteriorate from water and will dry fast.

paula on 10/08/01 at 00:21 (062451)

i guess my main question is can the features of a mueller be built into a plastic afo. ?
what's an eva orthotic? it can be immersed in water?
i havn't had poor results from an afo. i havn't yet had an afo at all. i need support in the pool cause i havn't born weight in a year and even the minimal amount of weight in water severely stresses my post tib tendon.
i have orthotics with midial sole wedges and a number of other features for milder cases of post tib tendon dysfuncion that are of no use in my unusually weakened foot situation.
i was hoping i cauld find someone who knows about dorsiflexion assist afo with valgus controling trim lines or else maybe build into a ucbl all the features of a mueller orthotic. maybe an eva with the mueller features would work. or maybe i should just shoot my feet. this is so frustrating.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/08/01 at 12:11 (062471)

The features of a Ritchie brace includes a foot plate that can incorporate features of a UCB or Meuller type orthotic. It is amazing that you cannot find someone who can do this in an area as big as Atlanta. Perhaps by trying to work backwards--call a lab that makes such a device and ask them who they deal with in your area. Prolab of San Francisco does a good job with the Ritchie brace--- http://www.prolaborthotics.com or email: prolab@prolab-usa.com There telephone number is 800-477-6522. Ask for Dr. Paul Scherer, DPM. He owns the lab and also teaches biomechanics at the California College of Podiatric Medicine.
Ed

paula on 10/08/01 at 14:13 (062476)

appreciate the info dr ed, i'll call him right now. it is amazing. i pretty much do nothing else but look for post tib tendon support, pay people, look again, pay again.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/08/01 at 15:19 (062480)

Paula:

I am trying to remember if you were the person from Atlanta that saw Dr. Ruch. He should be familiar with such devices and be able to provide you with this service.
Ed

paula on 10/08/01 at 18:41 (062500)

yes, that's me. i have an appointment to see dr ruch, i have just so lost any hope of ever finding a doc in atlanta to help me that i try to look in lots of directions right now. if you think highly of him, there's hope. the pods in atlanta all seem to spring from this surgery crazy pod college here, or so i am told by lots of people. ok, off to see dr ruch. thanks dr ed.

BGCPed on 10/09/01 at 19:18 (062573)

Sorry I mistook what you said, I thought you said you had closet full of afo. Dr Ed is right I cant believe that Atlanta area is that hard to find a good orthosis

BG CPed on 10/07/01 at 21:59 (062449)

If you have had poor results from afo type braces. I am not a big fan of them for the fact that they can make you too dependant and make muscle weaker. Many may not agree but you can get a great deal of correction with a in shoe device and the proper shoe. In a pool i dont see why you would need a plastic afo that goes up tour calf when you are much more lighter in water.
An afo is called for for certain conditions but I agree they get prescribed too often, In my area it just so happens most insurance wont pay for foot orthotics but will pay for afo so they are more than happy to make them if needed or not.

EVA orthotic or sport sandals with velcro straps and a medial sole wedge would prob be all you need in a pool plus they will not deteriorate from water and will dry fast.

paula on 10/08/01 at 00:21 (062451)

i guess my main question is can the features of a mueller be built into a plastic afo. ?
what's an eva orthotic? it can be immersed in water?
i havn't had poor results from an afo. i havn't yet had an afo at all. i need support in the pool cause i havn't born weight in a year and even the minimal amount of weight in water severely stresses my post tib tendon.
i have orthotics with midial sole wedges and a number of other features for milder cases of post tib tendon dysfuncion that are of no use in my unusually weakened foot situation.
i was hoping i cauld find someone who knows about dorsiflexion assist afo with valgus controling trim lines or else maybe build into a ucbl all the features of a mueller orthotic. maybe an eva with the mueller features would work. or maybe i should just shoot my feet. this is so frustrating.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/08/01 at 12:11 (062471)

The features of a Ritchie brace includes a foot plate that can incorporate features of a UCB or Meuller type orthotic. It is amazing that you cannot find someone who can do this in an area as big as Atlanta. Perhaps by trying to work backwards--call a lab that makes such a device and ask them who they deal with in your area. Prolab of San Francisco does a good job with the Ritchie brace--- http://www.prolaborthotics.com or email: prolab@prolab-usa.com There telephone number is 800-477-6522. Ask for Dr. Paul Scherer, DPM. He owns the lab and also teaches biomechanics at the California College of Podiatric Medicine.
Ed

paula on 10/08/01 at 14:13 (062476)

appreciate the info dr ed, i'll call him right now. it is amazing. i pretty much do nothing else but look for post tib tendon support, pay people, look again, pay again.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/08/01 at 15:19 (062480)

Paula:

I am trying to remember if you were the person from Atlanta that saw Dr. Ruch. He should be familiar with such devices and be able to provide you with this service.
Ed

paula on 10/08/01 at 18:41 (062500)

yes, that's me. i have an appointment to see dr ruch, i have just so lost any hope of ever finding a doc in atlanta to help me that i try to look in lots of directions right now. if you think highly of him, there's hope. the pods in atlanta all seem to spring from this surgery crazy pod college here, or so i am told by lots of people. ok, off to see dr ruch. thanks dr ed.

BGCPed on 10/09/01 at 19:18 (062573)

Sorry I mistook what you said, I thought you said you had closet full of afo. Dr Ed is right I cant believe that Atlanta area is that hard to find a good orthosis