Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

MY PAIN IS ON THE BACK OF THE HEEL!!!

Posted by MIKE on 10/07/01 at 18:37 (062446)

I HURT FOR YEARS!! I FINALLY EXHAUSTED THE NSAIDS...THEN TO ORTHOPOD SURGEON...SAID I HAD MASSIVE CALCIUM DEPOSITS ON THE BACK OF MY HEEL..TREATED FOR A YEAR....SAID i NEEDED SURERY..RECEIVED SECOND OPINION..THEN HAD BILATERAL HEEL SPUR REMONAL.That was two years ago and there is still much pain that has altered my life. Is there any hope for being pain free in the future?

Re: MY PAIN IS ON THE BACK OF THE HEEL!!!

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/08/01 at 09:32 (062463)

Mike:

There is a lot to look at here. Spurs in back of the heels are often associated with tight achilles tendons--something that must be addressed either surgicaly or conservatively in order to be successful. Another biomechanical factor that must be addressed is excess side to side motion of the heel bone in gait. This can be caused by rearfoot varus ( cant of the heel with respect to the ground) which causes the heel to roll inward after heel strike, often excessively. It is difficult for surgery to be successful if these biomechanical factors are not completely addressed.

It is much easier, in my experience, to provide long term relief for spurs in back of the heel via the surgical route than for 'spurs' on the bottom of the heel.

Have you compared your x-rays before and after surgery to amke sure that the 'spurs' have been removed completely?
Ed

Re: Heel Spur

Rosemary D on 10/13/01 at 14:10 (062931)

my pain is on the heel mainly bottom have been doing stretch exercises 2 or 3 times a day and using the ice,plus taking celebrex have not got much relief i would like to know if their is treatment by laser.i have been told it is a heel spur. Any up to date advice will be most welcome .
thank You

Re: MY PAIN IS ON THE BACK OF THE HEEL!!!

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/08/01 at 09:32 (062463)

Mike:

There is a lot to look at here. Spurs in back of the heels are often associated with tight achilles tendons--something that must be addressed either surgicaly or conservatively in order to be successful. Another biomechanical factor that must be addressed is excess side to side motion of the heel bone in gait. This can be caused by rearfoot varus ( cant of the heel with respect to the ground) which causes the heel to roll inward after heel strike, often excessively. It is difficult for surgery to be successful if these biomechanical factors are not completely addressed.

It is much easier, in my experience, to provide long term relief for spurs in back of the heel via the surgical route than for 'spurs' on the bottom of the heel.

Have you compared your x-rays before and after surgery to amke sure that the 'spurs' have been removed completely?
Ed

Re: Heel Spur

Rosemary D on 10/13/01 at 14:10 (062931)

my pain is on the heel mainly bottom have been doing stretch exercises 2 or 3 times a day and using the ice,plus taking celebrex have not got much relief i would like to know if their is treatment by laser.i have been told it is a heel spur. Any up to date advice will be most welcome .
thank You