Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

EXERCISE

Posted by NANCY on 10/08/01 at 06:31 (062454)

What exercises are the best to do for heel spurs. I am battling mine again. Thanks.

Re: EXERCISE

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/08/01 at 09:24 (062462)

A low intensity, prolonged, none weight bearing stretch seems to work best. The night splints mentioned on this site at a good way to do this because they give you a way to do the stretch for long periods and a means to control the intensity.
Ed

Nancy on 10/08/01 at 20:17 (062503)

Can you describe the stretching that can be helpful if not using the night splints. Thanks.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/08/01 at 22:01 (062506)

I would try to mimic the type of stretch that the night splints do. Upon awakening in the morning, hold your knee straight and pull back your foot (dorsiflexion) without any assist from your hands until you feel a mild burning sensation in your heels or calf. Hold that postion for 20 seconds, release for 5 seconds, followed by another 20 seconds. Do about 5 - 20 second sets. Usually, the first few steps will be less painful. Also, if you work at a desk, place the foot you want to stretch flat on the floor and move it backwards until you feel a mild pull or burning sensation on the bottom of the foot or calf---gravity allows you to hold such a postion for 30 minutes or so, then change feet. If there is any increased pain after the stretch, that indicates that the stretch was too hard, not too long.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/08/01 at 09:24 (062462)

A low intensity, prolonged, none weight bearing stretch seems to work best. The night splints mentioned on this site at a good way to do this because they give you a way to do the stretch for long periods and a means to control the intensity.
Ed

Nancy on 10/08/01 at 20:17 (062503)

Can you describe the stretching that can be helpful if not using the night splints. Thanks.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/08/01 at 22:01 (062506)

I would try to mimic the type of stretch that the night splints do. Upon awakening in the morning, hold your knee straight and pull back your foot (dorsiflexion) without any assist from your hands until you feel a mild burning sensation in your heels or calf. Hold that postion for 20 seconds, release for 5 seconds, followed by another 20 seconds. Do about 5 - 20 second sets. Usually, the first few steps will be less painful. Also, if you work at a desk, place the foot you want to stretch flat on the floor and move it backwards until you feel a mild pull or burning sensation on the bottom of the foot or calf---gravity allows you to hold such a postion for 30 minutes or so, then change feet. If there is any increased pain after the stretch, that indicates that the stretch was too hard, not too long.
Ed