Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

SOMEONE WAS VERY RUDE TO ME .....

Posted by Laurie R on 10/08/01 at 15:33 (062482)

To Everyone , Ok here is the deal ..... Mind you ,I am so mad right now . I had to go grocery shopping today . My hubby went with me , I can't do it by myself . So I pulled up to the front of the store and parked in the handicap parking . I got my sticker about a month ago. Mind you I have been disabled for over two years.... But did not feel I deserved the sticker. Well the pain has gotten so bad now , I thought it was ok. I have and this is all in my right foot.
PF , tenosynivitis in the FHL tendon , RSD and now my new Fibroma. I think you all can understand the pain I am in everyday . I can not wear any casts now . My Pod wants me in my shoe with my orthotic's ,due to me losing muscle in my leg. Anyway this older man said something on my way into the store. I did not hear him so I kept walking . When we were done I had a note on my car. It was a nasty note about me not being disabled and I should be ashamed of myself parking there.

Man was my hubby pist .. At first I was not due to me being in so much pain today . Then I said I wish this man would of stayed till I came out and said something to my face. I would of went off on him ,due to the pain I am in today . It is really high . This just goes to show , we should NEVER judge anyone for the way they look .........

Nothing like someone really making a bad pain day worse by not even knowing me at all....... So sad ...

My best to all , I knew I could come here to vent and everyone would understand....

Much love and peace,Laurie R

Re: SOMEONE WAS VERY RUDE TO ME .....

Suzanne D on 10/08/01 at 17:07 (062489)

I'm so sorry, Laurie: I really am. That episode you experienced made a bad day even worse. Everyone should try to remember the old adage: NEVER CRITICIZE A MAN UNTIL YOU HAVE WALKED A MILE IN HIS MOCASSINS. (Of course in OUR case, walking a mile in MOCASSINS would REALLY make us worse!) :-) Also, DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU would be nice for people to practice.

Know that we care and understand!

Have a better evening!

Re: Laurie --- Man, can we relate!

Steve P on 10/08/01 at 17:21 (062492)

Laurie -- Your story really hits home. I too have a handicap pass & I use it when I feel I have to. And I have learned several things.

I know that people can't tell the amount of pain that I'm in. Sometimes, as I head to the checkout counter of a store, I just pray that I can find a cash register without a line. But sometimes it isn't possible, so I have to stand in line behind several people.

No one knows how my feet are hurting. As I wait in line, kids are sometimes jumping up & down right next to me. I am waiting for one to land on my foot. The cashiers & other people in line are in no hurry at all. Sometimes the cashiers have social conversations with people as they're checking them out, which takes minutes longer than necessary. People have no idea that I'm quietly counting the minutes & seconds until I can get thru the line & out of the store.
Well, you know what I mean!

I'm so sorry that you ran into such a miserable jerk today. It's too bad you didn't have a chance to tell him a few things! But please don't let it bug you. He's probably a nasty guy all the time.......you just happened to be his subject today.

So relax & try to enjoy the evening anyway. But, believe me, we can all relate!

Best................Steve

Re: serious cases need tape

scott r on 10/08/01 at 17:48 (062495)

i just did a search on the message boards for 'steve p.+ tape(PIPE)laurie r.+ tape' When doing searches, the period means any character, the plus signs means one or more of the previous characters (in this case one or more of ANY character since it follows a period), and the virtical bar (pipe) symbol means 'or'. It seems laurie is famaliar with tape but steve doesn't mention it....hint hint

Steve P on 10/08/01 at 19:53 (062501)

Scott --- Good detective work, young man!

I've had my orthotics evaluated by several doctors, including Dr. Z. All said they were of such good quality that taping wouldn't provide any additional benefit.

PS-- Do you remember the engineering school story of the Indian chief with 3 wives? (It has to do with where the wives sat around the campfire.)

Re: squaws

scott r on 10/08/01 at 22:18 (062510)

no, i don't know about the squaws.

that arch support and tape have anything to do with each other is hogwash. i don't know which podiatric school or journal article started that B.S. i certainly have't spread such garbage in my book. you fell for that? we need to confiscate your degree

wendyn on 10/08/01 at 22:23 (062513)

Laurie - this very topic has been the subject of some of our letters to the editor in the newspaper. Maybe you should consider sending one in - just to get it off your chest - and maybe this guy will read it.

Diabilities are not always visable...you could have been a cancer paitent -someone with MS - anything. None of those things are visable like a broken leg.

People are so rude.

I have a 'POO list at work'. You know how when people tick you off you say 'Man - he's on the top of my list'.

I actually have a list.

I can't call it a SH%! list because it's on my whiteboard where everyone can see it. (Remember I have a very strange personality, so my coworkers understand - well they don't really understand but they accept it as part of working with me). Sometimes they put me on my own poo list. Tomorrow I will put 'The old guy who told off my friend Laurie' on the list. That'll show him. If nothing else - it will send some bad Karma his way.

Laurie R on 10/09/01 at 00:58 (062521)

Thank you all for making me feel better. This old guy really messed up my already bad day . I did let him get to me . I am over it now . I just wish he would of stayed till I came out of the store. I would of told him off. He had no right to judge me . I know their are some people that use the stickers that don't need them . I had a cousin who used her moms and got caught for it . I think she had to pay 250.00 ,but that is what she got ,she knew she should not of used it . But mine is real and it is mine.

Wendy I love your POO list , I need to get me one ... I think that is swesome . Now when you put my little story on it are you going to have to explain it ? Oh please if you do tell who ever asked you not to judge anyone ..... This is a good lesson not to judge. I tell my kids this all the time .... You may not know the persons story .......

Thanks again ......My very best to all....Laurie R

I have to go my kitten is crying in the kitchen and from the way she sounds she may need a disibility sticker.....OH no

john h on 10/09/01 at 09:17 (062527)

when I hiked up a mountain a month or so ago steve i did add the two strip method of taping along with my orthotics. No problem after my climb. When i climb it again, which will be soon, i will add those two strips of tape again.

Richard, C.Ped on 10/09/01 at 09:51 (062530)

Laurie,
People are rude to me all the time. They say things like 'hey boy...who do you think you are making such awesome orthotics? And things like this, 'Stop making good orthotics...you are making us look bad. I head this one the other day, ' Hey jerk, you are putting us out of business'.

I find notes on my windshield that are made out of letters from newspaper clippings (like a ransom note) that read 'STOP MAKING SUCH WODERFUL ORTHOTICS..OR WE WILL BE FORCED TO THROW CHOCOLATE PUDDING AT YOU'.

I don't mean to make light of your anger....I just wanted to try to put a smile on your face. Don't worry about that guy...there are mean people and there are nice people. I try to look at it as if they were having a bad day...or just received some bad news. That helps me. He also does not know your situation, but don't feel you have to explain youself to everyone like that either.

Have a wonderful day!!!! :-)
Richard

Steve P on 10/09/01 at 10:24 (062536)

Yes, the Squaw of the Hippopotamus = the sum of the Squaws of the Two Hides

Re: the future of everything

scott r on 10/09/01 at 11:34 (062540)

The exponential growth of everything, including why the economy is about to
REALLY boom and why you won't die (if you can manage to stick around another 10 years (that's his estimate, but I try to stick around for 20 to make
sure).

http://www.kurzweilai.net/meme/frame.html?main=/articles/art0141.html

wendyn on 10/09/01 at 13:31 (062544)

Laurie - he is on the list as 'Old guy who told off my friend Laurie'. Some people may ask - most people have given up asking me why I do a lot of the things I do. I just get a lot of puzzled looks.

Paula G. on 10/09/01 at 15:56 (062560)

I must admit, there used to be times I would look at someone and wonder what on earth their handicap was. I learned it was none of my business though and thanked God I did not need to park there.
Until........I had my surgery and got a sticker.....Sad that someone would do something so mean...especially now..with all going on in our country can't people just be thankful and grateful and not so hateful?

Suzanne D on 10/08/01 at 17:07 (062489)

I'm so sorry, Laurie: I really am. That episode you experienced made a bad day even worse. Everyone should try to remember the old adage: NEVER CRITICIZE A MAN UNTIL YOU HAVE WALKED A MILE IN HIS MOCASSINS. (Of course in OUR case, walking a mile in MOCASSINS would REALLY make us worse!) :-) Also, DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU would be nice for people to practice.

Know that we care and understand!

Have a better evening!

Re: Laurie --- Man, can we relate!

Steve P on 10/08/01 at 17:21 (062492)

Laurie -- Your story really hits home. I too have a handicap pass & I use it when I feel I have to. And I have learned several things.

I know that people can't tell the amount of pain that I'm in. Sometimes, as I head to the checkout counter of a store, I just pray that I can find a cash register without a line. But sometimes it isn't possible, so I have to stand in line behind several people.

No one knows how my feet are hurting. As I wait in line, kids are sometimes jumping up & down right next to me. I am waiting for one to land on my foot. The cashiers & other people in line are in no hurry at all. Sometimes the cashiers have social conversations with people as they're checking them out, which takes minutes longer than necessary. People have no idea that I'm quietly counting the minutes & seconds until I can get thru the line & out of the store.
Well, you know what I mean!

I'm so sorry that you ran into such a miserable jerk today. It's too bad you didn't have a chance to tell him a few things! But please don't let it bug you. He's probably a nasty guy all the time.......you just happened to be his subject today.

So relax & try to enjoy the evening anyway. But, believe me, we can all relate!

Best................Steve

scott r on 10/08/01 at 17:48 (062495)

i just did a search on the message boards for 'steve p.+ tape(PIPE)laurie r.+ tape' When doing searches, the period means any character, the plus signs means one or more of the previous characters (in this case one or more of ANY character since it follows a period), and the virtical bar (pipe) symbol means 'or'. It seems laurie is famaliar with tape but steve doesn't mention it....hint hint

Steve P on 10/08/01 at 19:53 (062501)

Scott --- Good detective work, young man!

I've had my orthotics evaluated by several doctors, including Dr. Z. All said they were of such good quality that taping wouldn't provide any additional benefit.

PS-- Do you remember the engineering school story of the Indian chief with 3 wives? (It has to do with where the wives sat around the campfire.)

scott r on 10/08/01 at 22:18 (062510)

no, i don't know about the squaws.

that arch support and tape have anything to do with each other is hogwash. i don't know which podiatric school or journal article started that B.S. i certainly have't spread such garbage in my book. you fell for that? we need to confiscate your degree

wendyn on 10/08/01 at 22:23 (062513)

Laurie - this very topic has been the subject of some of our letters to the editor in the newspaper. Maybe you should consider sending one in - just to get it off your chest - and maybe this guy will read it.

Diabilities are not always visable...you could have been a cancer paitent -someone with MS - anything. None of those things are visable like a broken leg.

People are so rude.

I have a 'POO list at work'. You know how when people tick you off you say 'Man - he's on the top of my list'.

I actually have a list.

I can't call it a SH%! list because it's on my whiteboard where everyone can see it. (Remember I have a very strange personality, so my coworkers understand - well they don't really understand but they accept it as part of working with me). Sometimes they put me on my own poo list. Tomorrow I will put 'The old guy who told off my friend Laurie' on the list. That'll show him. If nothing else - it will send some bad Karma his way.

Laurie R on 10/09/01 at 00:58 (062521)

Thank you all for making me feel better. This old guy really messed up my already bad day . I did let him get to me . I am over it now . I just wish he would of stayed till I came out of the store. I would of told him off. He had no right to judge me . I know their are some people that use the stickers that don't need them . I had a cousin who used her moms and got caught for it . I think she had to pay 250.00 ,but that is what she got ,she knew she should not of used it . But mine is real and it is mine.

Wendy I love your POO list , I need to get me one ... I think that is swesome . Now when you put my little story on it are you going to have to explain it ? Oh please if you do tell who ever asked you not to judge anyone ..... This is a good lesson not to judge. I tell my kids this all the time .... You may not know the persons story .......

Thanks again ......My very best to all....Laurie R

I have to go my kitten is crying in the kitchen and from the way she sounds she may need a disibility sticker.....OH no

john h on 10/09/01 at 09:17 (062527)

when I hiked up a mountain a month or so ago steve i did add the two strip method of taping along with my orthotics. No problem after my climb. When i climb it again, which will be soon, i will add those two strips of tape again.

Richard, C.Ped on 10/09/01 at 09:51 (062530)

Laurie,
People are rude to me all the time. They say things like 'hey boy...who do you think you are making such awesome orthotics? And things like this, 'Stop making good orthotics...you are making us look bad. I head this one the other day, ' Hey jerk, you are putting us out of business'.

I find notes on my windshield that are made out of letters from newspaper clippings (like a ransom note) that read 'STOP MAKING SUCH WODERFUL ORTHOTICS..OR WE WILL BE FORCED TO THROW CHOCOLATE PUDDING AT YOU'.

I don't mean to make light of your anger....I just wanted to try to put a smile on your face. Don't worry about that guy...there are mean people and there are nice people. I try to look at it as if they were having a bad day...or just received some bad news. That helps me. He also does not know your situation, but don't feel you have to explain youself to everyone like that either.

Have a wonderful day!!!! :-)
Richard

Steve P on 10/09/01 at 10:24 (062536)

Yes, the Squaw of the Hippopotamus = the sum of the Squaws of the Two Hides

Re: the future of everything

scott r on 10/09/01 at 11:34 (062540)

The exponential growth of everything, including why the economy is about to
REALLY boom and why you won't die (if you can manage to stick around another 10 years (that's his estimate, but I try to stick around for 20 to make
sure).

http://www.kurzweilai.net/meme/frame.html?main=/articles/art0141.html

wendyn on 10/09/01 at 13:31 (062544)

Laurie - he is on the list as 'Old guy who told off my friend Laurie'. Some people may ask - most people have given up asking me why I do a lot of the things I do. I just get a lot of puzzled looks.

Paula G. on 10/09/01 at 15:56 (062560)

I must admit, there used to be times I would look at someone and wonder what on earth their handicap was. I learned it was none of my business though and thanked God I did not need to park there.
Until........I had my surgery and got a sticker.....Sad that someone would do something so mean...especially now..with all going on in our country can't people just be thankful and grateful and not so hateful?