Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

just an interesting story

Posted by scott r on 10/08/01 at 17:53 (062496)

Today at a facility doing an air pollution inspection, the consultant said we needed to check in at the control room to go to a certain area. As we were signing in I pointed out the H2S pocket monitors and suggested we were probably supposed to take one. He ask an employee who said yes, so we took one. As we were walking towards a stair well, I glanced at it and it didn't read anything. While walking up the first flight of stairs I noticed a rotten egg smell. While walking up the second flight I noticed it was a pretty heavy smell and was a little anxious. On the third flight it was hurting my nose a little so I glanced at the monitor and it was reading 'above 25 ppm'. I hit the contractor's arm at the top of the third flight, showed him the blinking red light, and we descended immediately. I watched the monitor on the way down and it briefly switched to the lower reading of 'above 10 ppm' on the bottom flight of stairs. 50 feet away from the stairs it switch from no reading, 'above 10 ppm', and 'above 25' depending on wind direction. I did not think we had been exposed to anything too dangerous and forgot about it. I wasn't alarmed or hurting enough to consider rushing down the stairs. We walked at a normal pace away from the stairs. 20 minutes later I had a slight headache. An hour later the headache was worse. Now 6 hours later it is still the same, so I just looked up the safety levels (I was suspicious because I get a headache about twice a year). My guess is that the concentrations went above 100 ppm while we were on the stairs but probably not over 1000 ppm since 'one breath can cause a coma at 1000 or 2000 ppm' and the contractor did not report any negative health effects and continued working the rest of the day. 800 ppm for 5 minutes has caused death. The IDLH (Immediately Dangerous to Life and Health) is 100 ppm. TLV (8-hour average allowed) is 10 ppm, STEL (15 minute avg) is 15 ppm, OSHA ceiling is 20 ppm. We were exposed for maybe 2 minutes.

Re: just an interesting story

john h on 10/08/01 at 18:39 (062499)

for a guy who can drink soy milk and booze this should be a walk in the park for you scott. i worked around atomic weapons for 4 years and of course wore a docimeter and other good stuff. my wife claims i still give off a 'glow'! i do not know whether that is good or bad!

wendyn on 10/08/01 at 22:15 (062508)

That's really scary scott - do you think you should call a doctor or anything to be checked out?

scott r on 10/08/01 at 22:19 (062512)

funny thing. rosemary comes visit and now my headaches gone

Mahatmelissama on 10/09/01 at 15:50 (062558)

Scott, I am praying for you right now...that sounds awfully scary!

john h on 10/08/01 at 18:39 (062499)

for a guy who can drink soy milk and booze this should be a walk in the park for you scott. i worked around atomic weapons for 4 years and of course wore a docimeter and other good stuff. my wife claims i still give off a 'glow'! i do not know whether that is good or bad!

wendyn on 10/08/01 at 22:15 (062508)

That's really scary scott - do you think you should call a doctor or anything to be checked out?

scott r on 10/08/01 at 22:19 (062512)

funny thing. rosemary comes visit and now my headaches gone

Mahatmelissama on 10/09/01 at 15:50 (062558)

Scott, I am praying for you right now...that sounds awfully scary!