Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How do you explain Foot Pain?

Posted by Mahatmelissama on 10/09/01 at 15:48 (062556)

Hi again,

I enjoyed the responses so much from the last thread I did that I am doing another (and I do intend to try a small coke bottle for rolling iced
onto my foot...plus the calf stretches I read about on the pain.com
webpage).

One of the things I hate about having foot pain whenever I am on my
feet very long is the EMBARRASSMENT I feel. I make an excuse to go to
the bathroom and take off usually.

I was wondering how you phrase things to people ... and ways or hints of
ways you deal with standing in line (like the grocery store...post office...even a buffet line). At church, I always dread fellowship time
since everyone is STANDING around with their coffee chatting. I usually
have to sit after a short while and I feel like such a freak.

I look forward to your responses.

God Bless America,

Melissa aka Mahatmelissama ;)

Re: Since it is subjective, very hard to explain

Paula G. on 10/09/01 at 16:00 (062561)

I understand totally. No one can understand unless they have been there.
The doctor I was going to did not until one day.....
his daughter brought a friend home for a weekend and her friend had PF. He finally saw first hand the misery that accompanies that problem and had more empathy for me.
They had gone to church and he told me she kept sitting down...YUP...
SO, there is no easy answer because no one understands the severity of the pain. When you just want to cut your feet off it hurts so bad....

Re: How do you explain Foot Pain?

Kathy G on 10/09/01 at 17:46 (062567)

Melissa,

You shouldn't feel as though you are a freak because you need to sit. You didn't cause the pain in your feet and at least you are out and about and trying to socialize at church instead of sitting at home alone, feeling sorry for yourself. DON'T try to explain the pain. Just say, 'Oh, I think I'll sit, if you don't mind.' Most people don't question it. And if they do, just say, 'I'm having a problem with my feet and feel more comfortable sitting down.' You know that you can't explain the pain; unless they've experienced it they don't really understand. So don't get so hung up on 'feeling like a freak'! You know you're not a freak, so just do what you can do.

You know, most people, even if they don't understand the severity of the pain, are sympathetic and don't hold it against someone who is experiencing discomfort. Let them say they're sorry and then get on to another subject.

You need to be kinder to yourself! You haven't done anything wrong!

Steve P on 10/09/01 at 20:01 (062577)

Melissa --- a few thoughts.....

1. INJURY -- If someone asks what's wrong with your feet or why you're 'walking that way', just tell them it's a foot injury. That usually ends most conversations.

2. DRIVE-THRU --- Get in the Drive-thru habit for fast food, banking, etc.

3. GROCERY STORE, POST OFFICE, ETC --- Try to hit off hours if you can. (I know that's obvious, but it really makes a difference). If you do find yourself in a line, try to momentarily sit on the edge of the counter or lean against a railing whenever possible. I've gotten good at this. I look for anything to provide a little relief while I wait.

best.........Steve

Suzanne D on 10/09/01 at 21:59 (062590)

Melissa, all the things the people who responded before me said are great advice. I, too, have taken to using the drive-throughs more often when I can. And when a group is standing around after church, I often just sit down and remark, 'I think I'll make it easier on my feet and sit right now'.

I also remember a phrase I heard at a teacher's conference once: 'Work smarter, not harder'. I attempt to follow that advice by trying to plan ahead to save steps. My washer and dryer are in the basement as well as all my 'school stuff'. I get school materials when I have to put in the wash, saving myself extra trips. I sometimes think about how I might consolidate my shopping, perhaps going to fewer stores whenever I can, maybe compromising on what I was going to get, but feeling it is worth it if I don't walk as much. I am letting my first graders save me steps by doing some walking errands for me at school. They thrive on the attention of helping, and by my telling them I need their help because my feet hurt, perhaps I am teaching them to be more sympathetic to others.

I wish for you easier days ahead! :-)

Andrea R. on 10/10/01 at 11:11 (062636)

Melissa,

Just tell them you have heel or bone spurs in your foot/feet. Most people seem to equate that with extreme foot pain. They will probably also tell you how someone they know cured it.

My doctor had me using a cane when I was going to be doing alot of walking on vacation. I still use it if I'm going grocery shopping or such. Find stores that have electric carts and use them; just throw the cane in the basket. It really makes shopping bearable.

Andrea

Kathy G on 10/11/01 at 17:12 (062779)

Andrea,

It's interesting that people react to 'bone spurs' but not to PF! Why don't more people know about it? It's amazing how many people just stare blankly when one mentions it. I wonder why???

Maybe PF sufferers all come here to vent and they don't complain anywhere else!!!

john h on 10/12/01 at 10:22 (062831)

melissa: do what ever you need to do to help your feet get better. i simply tell someone i have a foot problem and proceed to sit or do whatever makes me comfortable. i quit a long time ago trying to explain my foot problems because no one really understands and you will get tired of explaining. i do what ever is necessary to cut the conversation of foot problems off immediately. it is your feet and your pain so never feel you need to provide a big explanation to anyone.

Re: Since it is subjective, very hard to explain

Paula G. on 10/09/01 at 16:00 (062561)

I understand totally. No one can understand unless they have been there.
The doctor I was going to did not until one day.....
his daughter brought a friend home for a weekend and her friend had PF. He finally saw first hand the misery that accompanies that problem and had more empathy for me.
They had gone to church and he told me she kept sitting down...YUP...
SO, there is no easy answer because no one understands the severity of the pain. When you just want to cut your feet off it hurts so bad....

Kathy G on 10/09/01 at 17:46 (062567)

Melissa,

You shouldn't feel as though you are a freak because you need to sit. You didn't cause the pain in your feet and at least you are out and about and trying to socialize at church instead of sitting at home alone, feeling sorry for yourself. DON'T try to explain the pain. Just say, 'Oh, I think I'll sit, if you don't mind.' Most people don't question it. And if they do, just say, 'I'm having a problem with my feet and feel more comfortable sitting down.' You know that you can't explain the pain; unless they've experienced it they don't really understand. So don't get so hung up on 'feeling like a freak'! You know you're not a freak, so just do what you can do.

You know, most people, even if they don't understand the severity of the pain, are sympathetic and don't hold it against someone who is experiencing discomfort. Let them say they're sorry and then get on to another subject.

You need to be kinder to yourself! You haven't done anything wrong!

Steve P on 10/09/01 at 20:01 (062577)

Melissa --- a few thoughts.....

1. INJURY -- If someone asks what's wrong with your feet or why you're 'walking that way', just tell them it's a foot injury. That usually ends most conversations.

2. DRIVE-THRU --- Get in the Drive-thru habit for fast food, banking, etc.

3. GROCERY STORE, POST OFFICE, ETC --- Try to hit off hours if you can. (I know that's obvious, but it really makes a difference). If you do find yourself in a line, try to momentarily sit on the edge of the counter or lean against a railing whenever possible. I've gotten good at this. I look for anything to provide a little relief while I wait.

best.........Steve

Suzanne D on 10/09/01 at 21:59 (062590)

Melissa, all the things the people who responded before me said are great advice. I, too, have taken to using the drive-throughs more often when I can. And when a group is standing around after church, I often just sit down and remark, 'I think I'll make it easier on my feet and sit right now'.

I also remember a phrase I heard at a teacher's conference once: 'Work smarter, not harder'. I attempt to follow that advice by trying to plan ahead to save steps. My washer and dryer are in the basement as well as all my 'school stuff'. I get school materials when I have to put in the wash, saving myself extra trips. I sometimes think about how I might consolidate my shopping, perhaps going to fewer stores whenever I can, maybe compromising on what I was going to get, but feeling it is worth it if I don't walk as much. I am letting my first graders save me steps by doing some walking errands for me at school. They thrive on the attention of helping, and by my telling them I need their help because my feet hurt, perhaps I am teaching them to be more sympathetic to others.

I wish for you easier days ahead! :-)

Andrea R. on 10/10/01 at 11:11 (062636)

Melissa,

Just tell them you have heel or bone spurs in your foot/feet. Most people seem to equate that with extreme foot pain. They will probably also tell you how someone they know cured it.

My doctor had me using a cane when I was going to be doing alot of walking on vacation. I still use it if I'm going grocery shopping or such. Find stores that have electric carts and use them; just throw the cane in the basket. It really makes shopping bearable.

Andrea

Kathy G on 10/11/01 at 17:12 (062779)

Andrea,

It's interesting that people react to 'bone spurs' but not to PF! Why don't more people know about it? It's amazing how many people just stare blankly when one mentions it. I wonder why???

Maybe PF sufferers all come here to vent and they don't complain anywhere else!!!

john h on 10/12/01 at 10:22 (062831)

melissa: do what ever you need to do to help your feet get better. i simply tell someone i have a foot problem and proceed to sit or do whatever makes me comfortable. i quit a long time ago trying to explain my foot problems because no one really understands and you will get tired of explaining. i do what ever is necessary to cut the conversation of foot problems off immediately. it is your feet and your pain so never feel you need to provide a big explanation to anyone.