Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

a question about exercises

Posted by Dona on 10/09/01 at 16:16 (062564)

Do the ankle exercises for TTS initially make one's foot much sorer, with more pain when non-weightbearing? I'm wondering if this is due to favoring that foot for some time and the muscles just getting used to working again, or if I'm creating more damage. It's only been about a week for the exercises, but it's starting to hurt quite a bit at night when I get off my feet, to the point of interfering with sleep. I also feel, at times, like I'm walking on 'something' at the arch area. Does this go along with TTS or sound more like PF flaring again?

Also, if exercises don't work, will most doctors insist on trying a cortisone shot before the next step, or is there something else I could try instead? I'm very leary of the shots (and it seems they're offered for most symptoms most of the time).
Thanks.
Dona

Re: a question about exercises

wendyn on 10/09/01 at 21:42 (062588)

Dona - when my TTS symptoms were bad - there is NO WAY I could have done any type of ankle exercises.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/10/01 at 13:18 (062655)

I am not familiar with any exercises targeted for TTS except for those exercises which address specific biomechanical problems. Maintaining general conditioning is important.
Ed

wendyn on 10/09/01 at 21:42 (062588)

Dona - when my TTS symptoms were bad - there is NO WAY I could have done any type of ankle exercises.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/10/01 at 13:18 (062655)

I am not familiar with any exercises targeted for TTS except for those exercises which address specific biomechanical problems. Maintaining general conditioning is important.
Ed