Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Help, I still cannot walk 7 weeks post-surgery!

Posted by Julie on 10/09/01 at 17:54 (062568)

I am so discouraged and frustrated today. I am still not walking after 7 weeks following PF surgery. Have had 4 sessions of physical therapy (going twice a week) and just finished a course of cortisone/steroid oral medication. Been taking C and B6 vitamins. Stretching, icing and elevating nightly. Had cam walker for the first 6 weeks. I can put a little pressure/weight on my foot but it hurts. My dr. told me to come back in 2 weeks. I feel like he keeps saying that, '2 more weeks, 1 more week, etc.' He is perplexed as to why it is taking me so long to heal, he originally told me I'd be walking in one week. He says x-rays look normal. Is it time for a second opinion? Is there anything else I should be doing that I'm not doing? Does this mean something is very wrong, could the surgery have damaged my foot? What is the longest someone has gone after this type of surgery before they could walk? Please help, I am feeling afraid and discouraged. Thanks.

Re: Help, I still cannot walk 7 weeks post-surgery!

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/09/01 at 18:17 (062569)

What kind of pain are you having. Can you move the foot.? What kind of pf
release did you have.

Julie on 10/09/01 at 18:36 (062571)

I had a 50% release, from an incision in the heel. I can move the foot very well with pretty good range of motion. The pain is extreme tenderness in the heel.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/10/01 at 15:44 (062666)

IT is rare but it could be your reaction to the foot surgery. A pf release can cause usually temporary the inability to place weight on the foot.
May have to be placed in a fiber glass hard cast for a week to ten days at this point

Re: Dr. Z, please read

Julie on 10/11/01 at 17:51 (062783)

Thanks for your response. Can you explain what having a fiberglass cast for a week to ten days would do?

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/11/01 at 18:07 (062786)

Completely remove all weight off the heel bone. Rest all tendons and the plantar fascia on the bottom of the foot. A slipper cast still allows the ankle to move up and down and at the same time removes all weight off the bottom of the foot

Re: One more thing Dr. Z

Julie on 10/11/01 at 20:43 (062801)

I didn't mention that I am using a roll-about walker. You rest your knee on it. Therefore I am not walking on the foot at all, no pressure or weight whatsoever. I use the walker all the time. I have not walked on the foot for the entire 7 weeks except for a few steps every few days, just to see how it feels. So it seems to me that this would accomplish the same thing as the cast, i. e. not putting any weight on the foot at all. In light of that, what else can I do?

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/13/01 at 20:52 (062941)

So how does it feel when you do place some weight on the foot. Were you able to place weight on the foot at the physical therapy sessions. I am not sure of the amount of pain you are having when placing weight on the foot. Did physical therapy start you on weight bearing/gait training excercises.

If the above has been done you need to have an mri for further evaluation and or a second opinion. This is a tough one to determine the why without any hands on examination and meeting you in person.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/09/01 at 18:17 (062569)

What kind of pain are you having. Can you move the foot.? What kind of pf
release did you have.

Julie on 10/09/01 at 18:36 (062571)

I had a 50% release, from an incision in the heel. I can move the foot very well with pretty good range of motion. The pain is extreme tenderness in the heel.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/10/01 at 15:44 (062666)

IT is rare but it could be your reaction to the foot surgery. A pf release can cause usually temporary the inability to place weight on the foot.
May have to be placed in a fiber glass hard cast for a week to ten days at this point

Julie on 10/11/01 at 17:51 (062783)

Thanks for your response. Can you explain what having a fiberglass cast for a week to ten days would do?

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/11/01 at 18:07 (062786)

Completely remove all weight off the heel bone. Rest all tendons and the plantar fascia on the bottom of the foot. A slipper cast still allows the ankle to move up and down and at the same time removes all weight off the bottom of the foot

Julie on 10/11/01 at 20:43 (062801)

I didn't mention that I am using a roll-about walker. You rest your knee on it. Therefore I am not walking on the foot at all, no pressure or weight whatsoever. I use the walker all the time. I have not walked on the foot for the entire 7 weeks except for a few steps every few days, just to see how it feels. So it seems to me that this would accomplish the same thing as the cast, i. e. not putting any weight on the foot at all. In light of that, what else can I do?

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/13/01 at 20:52 (062941)

So how does it feel when you do place some weight on the foot. Were you able to place weight on the foot at the physical therapy sessions. I am not sure of the amount of pain you are having when placing weight on the foot. Did physical therapy start you on weight bearing/gait training excercises.

If the above has been done you need to have an mri for further evaluation and or a second opinion. This is a tough one to determine the why without any hands on examination and meeting you in person.