Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

pain on outside of ankle

Posted by matts on 10/09/01 at 20:40 (062584)

I have been treated for pf and post tibial tendonitis and thought I was doing ok until few weeks ago. Arch is very tender to the touch and a new problem started on outside of ankle just above the ankle bone. This hurts all the time and if I step wrong a cannot walk for a few minutes. It is a very sharp pain. I was wondering if anyone had this or heard of this problm and if this is related to the foot pain or is it a new problem?

Re: pain on outside of ankle

Necee on 10/10/01 at 01:42 (062605)

My ankle pain is just below the ankle. My foot is always stiff when I first get up, and there is ankle pain if I'm on my feet too much. I notice a soft buldge below ankle, and my dr called it something, sorry I can't remember, he said not to worry about it, but if the pain gets unbearable he can do surgery.....well.... for now I'm tolerating it.
Wish I knew what to tell you.
Good luck,
Necee

nancy s. on 10/10/01 at 03:54 (062608)

matt, your outside ankle pain could be peroneal tendonitis. after a year of PF, i developed achilles, posterior tib., and peroneal tendonitis all at once. it was all very painful but not exactly sharp, so if your pain is very sharp i could be wrong. get it checked out.
it took quite a long time, but my tendonitises were treated with (1) an aircast at first, to rest it because it was so inflamed and advanced, (2) a long physical therapy treatment program, and (3) slow, gentle stretching and strengthening.
am now about 90% better, in both the PF and tendonitis departments, so be patient and determined and don't give up.
but i would get that new pain checked out if i were you -- so you can know what it is and treat it well.
nancy

BrianJ on 10/10/01 at 13:03 (062652)

Hi Matt --

I have the same problem, which developed about 6 months after my PF started. Peroneal tendinitis can be caused by many things, but I would guess in our cases it's due to either (1) a change in gait because of the PF pain or (2) orthotics which have too much arch support and throw your body weight out on the medial sides of your feet. The problem is also aggravated by driving, especially if you operate a clutch with your left foot.

Good luck.

matts on 10/10/01 at 17:40 (062677)

Thanks for your comments. I was able to get an appointment in the morning with my podiatrist, so I can get it checked out.

Re: pain on outside of ankle follow up

matts on 10/16/01 at 18:34 (063097)

The pod was concerned about the new pain being some ligament in ankle, but the main problem is still tendon. An mri was inconclusive, a couple of months ago, but he wants me to see a foot and ankle dr. He made the appt for next week and put me back in the boot till then. I guess a couple more weeks in boot after all this time is not to bad. He wants to make sure that he is not missing anything before we do anything else, I really like his approach but this thing takes forever to figure out and get well. I know there are a lot of people here know how long it can take. Thanks again for the responses, they were right on the same topics the dr talked about.

Necee on 10/10/01 at 01:42 (062605)

My ankle pain is just below the ankle. My foot is always stiff when I first get up, and there is ankle pain if I'm on my feet too much. I notice a soft buldge below ankle, and my dr called it something, sorry I can't remember, he said not to worry about it, but if the pain gets unbearable he can do surgery.....well.... for now I'm tolerating it.
Wish I knew what to tell you.
Good luck,
Necee

nancy s. on 10/10/01 at 03:54 (062608)

matt, your outside ankle pain could be peroneal tendonitis. after a year of PF, i developed achilles, posterior tib., and peroneal tendonitis all at once. it was all very painful but not exactly sharp, so if your pain is very sharp i could be wrong. get it checked out.
it took quite a long time, but my tendonitises were treated with (1) an aircast at first, to rest it because it was so inflamed and advanced, (2) a long physical therapy treatment program, and (3) slow, gentle stretching and strengthening.
am now about 90% better, in both the PF and tendonitis departments, so be patient and determined and don't give up.
but i would get that new pain checked out if i were you -- so you can know what it is and treat it well.
nancy

BrianJ on 10/10/01 at 13:03 (062652)

Hi Matt --

I have the same problem, which developed about 6 months after my PF started. Peroneal tendinitis can be caused by many things, but I would guess in our cases it's due to either (1) a change in gait because of the PF pain or (2) orthotics which have too much arch support and throw your body weight out on the medial sides of your feet. The problem is also aggravated by driving, especially if you operate a clutch with your left foot.

Good luck.

matts on 10/10/01 at 17:40 (062677)

Thanks for your comments. I was able to get an appointment in the morning with my podiatrist, so I can get it checked out.

Re: pain on outside of ankle follow up

matts on 10/16/01 at 18:34 (063097)

The pod was concerned about the new pain being some ligament in ankle, but the main problem is still tendon. An mri was inconclusive, a couple of months ago, but he wants me to see a foot and ankle dr. He made the appt for next week and put me back in the boot till then. I guess a couple more weeks in boot after all this time is not to bad. He wants to make sure that he is not missing anything before we do anything else, I really like his approach but this thing takes forever to figure out and get well. I know there are a lot of people here know how long it can take. Thanks again for the responses, they were right on the same topics the dr talked about.