Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Just got X-Ray results

Posted by Richard Vegas on 10/10/01 at 01:39 (062604)

I just got home from work after standing on my feet for 10 hours, looked in the mail and received a letter from my doctor confirming that I have a heel spur on my x-ray. I have been experiencing foot pain for about 6 months and went to the doc 2 wks ago. He told me I had PF and prescribed Ibuprofen. This web site is the first time I can honestly say that the internet has improved my life. Before it has just been a distraction or entertainment, or a convenience. But the info I have read here has given me hope and constructive ideas for actions I can take.(I am icing as I type!). The message boards have helped as well. Thanks everybody!!
Richard

Re: Just got X-Ray results

Necee on 10/10/01 at 01:49 (062606)

Keep up your aggressive treatment! And good luck to you....I too have a heel spur, was diagnosed in March, and have been muddling through ever since.
My best advise to you is exhaust all other methods of treatment before ever considering surgery! You must rest those feet! And wear good supportive shoes. I bought my first pair of Birkenstocks in July, I must say they really have helped.
I'm getting better but still have a long way to go, so you hang in there too!
Happy trails,
Necee

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/10/01 at 13:07 (062653)

We generally feel that the heel 'spur' is a coincidental finding that indicates long term excess traction on the plantar fascia. X-rays are two dimensional--but, if there was such a thing as a 3-dimensional x-ray, you would see that the thing we call a spur is really a shelf of bone that forms at the origin of the plantar fascia on the heel bone. Ibuprofen treats the symptoms but it is really important to threat the biomechanical cause of the problem.
Ed

Richard G on 10/10/01 at 23:48 (062712)

Thanks for the suggestion. I have been wearing Birkenstock for about 3 years. I'm a chef and a coworker suggested them and I fell in love. They are great in the kitchen. I'm trying all kinds of stuff. Stretching, yoga, heel supports, Ice, even Reikki, and I have seen some improvement. I also stopped activities that I thought might cause it to worsen, specifically weighted calf raises. I'm 40, 5'10 and weigh 165 (just lost 10 lbs!) and have no idea what caused my PF because it came on so gradually. I work long days 10 to 12 hours on my feet so that may be part of it. It is empowering to know that there are things I can do to improve my condition. My doctor told me nothing! Thanks for the ecouragement.

Kathy G on 10/11/01 at 17:06 (062776)

Richard,

You hit the nail on the head! Standing up for 10-12 hours a day will certainly bring on PF! Check boards on a regular basis - I got more information here than I got from my doctor or the physical therapist! I've been agressively treating my PF since the first week of July when I stopped my part-time (15 hours a week) stand-up job. I ice, stretch and rest until I'm blue in the face (and foot)! I had finally gotten back to riding a stationary bike, albeit for only 10 minutes a day, and I was so proud of myself. It was the most I had exercised in 1 1/2 years! Unfortunately, after 8 days, I brilliantly fell and sprained my ankle, but as soon as I recover, I intend to get right back to it!

I wish I had started the treatment way before I did, but I didn't even think of searching the net! This site is what inspired me to take action!

My only words of wisdom, for what it's worth, is take it very, very easy. Even when you think you're getting better, don't overdo it. You'll find that it's really tough to restrain yourself, but this condition is VERY slow to heal and you really have to be very patient.

Good Luck!!!

john h on 10/12/01 at 10:17 (062828)

next step is to make sure you have good footware richard and or orthotics if needed. especially since you are on your feet all day. good foot support and comfort are a must. you have probably read by now that you can have a heel spur without pain and pain without a heelspur. you might think about using scott's two strip method of taping your foot.

Richard G on 10/13/01 at 01:53 (062908)

Thanks John,
It seems alot of people around here reccomend Birkenstock shoes and thats what I wear. I'm gonna get my boss to buy some rubber mats for me to stand on as well. I'll try the taping.
Thanks

Necee on 10/10/01 at 01:49 (062606)

Keep up your aggressive treatment! And good luck to you....I too have a heel spur, was diagnosed in March, and have been muddling through ever since.
My best advise to you is exhaust all other methods of treatment before ever considering surgery! You must rest those feet! And wear good supportive shoes. I bought my first pair of Birkenstocks in July, I must say they really have helped.
I'm getting better but still have a long way to go, so you hang in there too!
Happy trails,
Necee

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/10/01 at 13:07 (062653)

We generally feel that the heel 'spur' is a coincidental finding that indicates long term excess traction on the plantar fascia. X-rays are two dimensional--but, if there was such a thing as a 3-dimensional x-ray, you would see that the thing we call a spur is really a shelf of bone that forms at the origin of the plantar fascia on the heel bone. Ibuprofen treats the symptoms but it is really important to threat the biomechanical cause of the problem.
Ed

Richard G on 10/10/01 at 23:48 (062712)

Thanks for the suggestion. I have been wearing Birkenstock for about 3 years. I'm a chef and a coworker suggested them and I fell in love. They are great in the kitchen. I'm trying all kinds of stuff. Stretching, yoga, heel supports, Ice, even Reikki, and I have seen some improvement. I also stopped activities that I thought might cause it to worsen, specifically weighted calf raises. I'm 40, 5'10 and weigh 165 (just lost 10 lbs!) and have no idea what caused my PF because it came on so gradually. I work long days 10 to 12 hours on my feet so that may be part of it. It is empowering to know that there are things I can do to improve my condition. My doctor told me nothing! Thanks for the ecouragement.

Kathy G on 10/11/01 at 17:06 (062776)

Richard,

You hit the nail on the head! Standing up for 10-12 hours a day will certainly bring on PF! Check boards on a regular basis - I got more information here than I got from my doctor or the physical therapist! I've been agressively treating my PF since the first week of July when I stopped my part-time (15 hours a week) stand-up job. I ice, stretch and rest until I'm blue in the face (and foot)! I had finally gotten back to riding a stationary bike, albeit for only 10 minutes a day, and I was so proud of myself. It was the most I had exercised in 1 1/2 years! Unfortunately, after 8 days, I brilliantly fell and sprained my ankle, but as soon as I recover, I intend to get right back to it!

I wish I had started the treatment way before I did, but I didn't even think of searching the net! This site is what inspired me to take action!

My only words of wisdom, for what it's worth, is take it very, very easy. Even when you think you're getting better, don't overdo it. You'll find that it's really tough to restrain yourself, but this condition is VERY slow to heal and you really have to be very patient.

Good Luck!!!

john h on 10/12/01 at 10:17 (062828)

next step is to make sure you have good footware richard and or orthotics if needed. especially since you are on your feet all day. good foot support and comfort are a must. you have probably read by now that you can have a heel spur without pain and pain without a heelspur. you might think about using scott's two strip method of taping your foot.

Richard G on 10/13/01 at 01:53 (062908)

Thanks John,
It seems alot of people around here reccomend Birkenstock shoes and thats what I wear. I'm gonna get my boss to buy some rubber mats for me to stand on as well. I'll try the taping.
Thanks