Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

can you tell i have insomnia?

Posted by nancy s. on 10/10/01 at 04:51 (062612)

ok, folks, i've been up and on the board for about an hour and a half now, and i'm the only one here. i know that not *everyone* in pain can be asleep . . . whatcha doin'? and what do YOU do for insomnia?
i'm awake because my husband was snoring. and then there's the longlasting fallout from 9/11 and the current rough happenings and world instability; plus we just sold our house and really are going to be moving in less than a month after ten years here, and i'll have my own antiques store and be back to work full-time for the first time in two years, and the move is a good thing but surreal feeling; and my 80-year-old dad who lives near us and we watch over is being misunderstood by my younger brother and his rigid wife; and my beautiful sister can't find a soulmate, and can't find a nursing job that she can stand due to both too much paperwork and not enough quality time to spend with her patients.
and my frozen shoulder is killing me.
and the fall is so beautiful now.
so, since i know i can't be the only one with insomnia, what do you insomniacs out there do for it, besides drink a little warm milk, drink sleepytime tea, read, take a hot bath, take a half a sleeping pill?
nancy

Re: can you tell i have insomnia?

Nancy N on 10/10/01 at 06:44 (062614)

Nancy--

Have you tried Alluna Sleep (gee, I feel like an ad... sorry about that!). I just got some after a friend recommended it and it does help. It's Valerian and Hops, with a little bit of soy something-or-other and it helps keep my mind from racing all night long. You might want to give it a go--they put it with other sleep-related OTC medications, usually.

nancy s. on 10/10/01 at 09:30 (062625)

nancy, i haven't tried that and i will. once i did try drinking tea made by a friend straight from valerian root she gathers in the woods. knocked myself out for three days. i assume the pill form is more gentle! thanks.
n.

Kathy G on 10/10/01 at 12:46 (062649)

Nancy,

If all else fails, go see your doctor about your insomnia. Prescription sleeping pills are only for short term use, but perhaps a low-dose (10-20 mg.) of Amitriptyline would be beneficial. This is helpful for people who suffer from fibromyalgia but also seems to help anyone who experiences chronic pain. It has minimal side-effects (dry mouth seems to be major complaint) and is not habit-forming. Some of the antidepressants on the market are also beneficial in insomnia treatment. Again, they aren't being used for the antidepressant properties as much as for the chronic pain problems. The much maligned Prozac or Celexa are a few that are used for this purpose. Some people with chronic pain/fibromyalgia or PF seem to benefit from taking a muscle relaxant (like Flexaril) at bedtime. Talk to your doctor (your primary care, not your POD) and see what he suggests.

Bottom-line, see if you can find something to help you sleep. Insomnia is horrible and it feeds upon itself. The less you sleep, the more you think you won't be able to sleep, so you can't sleep, etc. etc. etc.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could turn our minds off the same way we turn off our televisions or radios? Just the flick of a button!

Good luck - you seem to have a full plate!!

john h on 10/10/01 at 18:44 (062683)

forget the alluna nancy and go with a beefeater martini with olives!

Nancy N on 10/10/01 at 19:06 (062684)

OK, that's another idea! Though they do say that once the alcohol wearsof, you usually wake up and can't go back to sleep. (But the reason I usually avoid alcohol in social situations is that it puts me right out!)

nancy s. on 10/10/01 at 19:11 (062686)

yuck -- the words 'beefeater' and 'olives' turn me right off. i don't care how good they taste. 'martini' sounds fine all by itself, though.

nancy s. on 10/10/01 at 19:17 (062687)

thanks, kathy: i already do take an antidepressant. it's true, insomnia does feed on itself and grow like moss! the bottom-line trick is in the mind, i'm sure, as you say. i just can't find that switch to turn it off. and the harder i try, the more awake i become.
i think i need to listen to julie's tape.
nancy

wendyn on 10/10/01 at 22:56 (062711)

I bought plain old valarian tea from the health food store. I can handle some pretty bizarre tastes - but that was GROSS. Two sips and I chucked it down the drain.

Nancy N on 10/11/01 at 05:42 (062717)

Oooh, yeah--in capsule form, the stuff smells bad enough that I would never make it as a tea. It works pretty well, though. Just be careful about how much you take. :)

Nancy N on 10/10/01 at 06:44 (062614)

Nancy--

Have you tried Alluna Sleep (gee, I feel like an ad... sorry about that!). I just got some after a friend recommended it and it does help. It's Valerian and Hops, with a little bit of soy something-or-other and it helps keep my mind from racing all night long. You might want to give it a go--they put it with other sleep-related OTC medications, usually.

nancy s. on 10/10/01 at 09:30 (062625)

nancy, i haven't tried that and i will. once i did try drinking tea made by a friend straight from valerian root she gathers in the woods. knocked myself out for three days. i assume the pill form is more gentle! thanks.
n.

Kathy G on 10/10/01 at 12:46 (062649)

Nancy,

If all else fails, go see your doctor about your insomnia. Prescription sleeping pills are only for short term use, but perhaps a low-dose (10-20 mg.) of Amitriptyline would be beneficial. This is helpful for people who suffer from fibromyalgia but also seems to help anyone who experiences chronic pain. It has minimal side-effects (dry mouth seems to be major complaint) and is not habit-forming. Some of the antidepressants on the market are also beneficial in insomnia treatment. Again, they aren't being used for the antidepressant properties as much as for the chronic pain problems. The much maligned Prozac or Celexa are a few that are used for this purpose. Some people with chronic pain/fibromyalgia or PF seem to benefit from taking a muscle relaxant (like Flexaril) at bedtime. Talk to your doctor (your primary care, not your POD) and see what he suggests.

Bottom-line, see if you can find something to help you sleep. Insomnia is horrible and it feeds upon itself. The less you sleep, the more you think you won't be able to sleep, so you can't sleep, etc. etc. etc.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could turn our minds off the same way we turn off our televisions or radios? Just the flick of a button!

Good luck - you seem to have a full plate!!

john h on 10/10/01 at 18:44 (062683)

forget the alluna nancy and go with a beefeater martini with olives!

Nancy N on 10/10/01 at 19:06 (062684)

OK, that's another idea! Though they do say that once the alcohol wearsof, you usually wake up and can't go back to sleep. (But the reason I usually avoid alcohol in social situations is that it puts me right out!)

nancy s. on 10/10/01 at 19:11 (062686)

yuck -- the words 'beefeater' and 'olives' turn me right off. i don't care how good they taste. 'martini' sounds fine all by itself, though.

nancy s. on 10/10/01 at 19:17 (062687)

thanks, kathy: i already do take an antidepressant. it's true, insomnia does feed on itself and grow like moss! the bottom-line trick is in the mind, i'm sure, as you say. i just can't find that switch to turn it off. and the harder i try, the more awake i become.
i think i need to listen to julie's tape.
nancy

wendyn on 10/10/01 at 22:56 (062711)

I bought plain old valarian tea from the health food store. I can handle some pretty bizarre tastes - but that was GROSS. Two sips and I chucked it down the drain.

Nancy N on 10/11/01 at 05:42 (062717)

Oooh, yeah--in capsule form, the stuff smells bad enough that I would never make it as a tea. It works pretty well, though. Just be careful about how much you take. :)