Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar fascitis - shoes

Posted by John on 10/11/01 at 10:11 (062733)

I am in the process of recovering from plantar fascitis. I will soon get new orthotics. I am looking for good running and casual shoes. I currently wear Asics 2060 for running and Asics Gel Odyssey for a casual shoe. They are both a bit wide for me. I wear size 11 and have narrow feet. Thanks for your suggestions. I am using orthotics, belt and wall stretches, a night brace and occasional massage in my treatment. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Plantar fascitis - shoes

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/11/01 at 16:58 (062774)

John:

The running shoe you use can affect the function of your orthotic up or down by about 25% each way. Your need for control would determine whether the shoes you are using would be adequate. Nevertheless, the better anti-pronation running shoes include the New Balance 1121, New Balance 587, Brooks Beast, Brooks Addiction 4, ASICs Gel MC Plus. The Asics 2060 is a mid-range shoe in its anti-pronation qualities. I have no ratings on the Gel Odyssey.
Ed

Sandy on 10/12/01 at 10:15 (062827)

Hi, I've had these Asics 2060s for about a month now and stopped using various pairs of orthotics (gave me instable ankles) and they do quite well at reducing PF although I still can't run and have a bit of pain. Are the Asics Gel MC Plus shoes really all that much better or do these shoes just push your feet further outward? The best thing about asics 2060s is they are really rigid around the bottom of the heel what do the 'better anti-pronotion running shoes have?

sandy h on 10/12/01 at 10:17 (062829)

Oh and I also wear Birkenstock around the house at the advice of various people on this site and never go around in bare feet and the link for buying over the internet worked a dream for me.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/12/01 at 14:35 (062865)

Orthotics gave you unstable ankles? Please provide more information about that.

The ASICs MC Plus shoes are a neutral plain shoe (as are most shoes nowadays). That is, they do not attempt to angulate your foot. They have a heel cup that reisists side to side motion better than the 2060's, are more rigid in the shank area and use a denser rubber on the medial side to prevent excess pronation.
Ed

Re: ankle joint laxity

sandy h on 10/12/01 at 20:36 (062894)

On the ankles I have joint laxity in my left ankle and it feels a lot worse (at the points where the retinacular tendon attaches I believe) when I am wearing orthotics with sharp shooting pains and the feeling that my leg is popping forwards from my ankle if I place my foot wrong (not sure if the problems are related to PF). Not wearing orthotics makes that problem go away pretty much with only a slight worsening in PF as long as I wear these asics 2060s (I will buy those MC Plus ones next time round thanks for the advice). Nike were too instable and flat soled shoes too much impact. I keep doing physio for ankles (though have to be careful with balancing and toe raising too much as it can start to hurt) so hopefully joint laxity will get better. Dunno if this is related to PF or separate.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/15/01 at 14:41 (063018)

Sandy:

Sounds like your orthotics need to be looked at. They may be over inverting your foot thereby straining your ankles.
Ed

JoAnn Fl on 10/16/01 at 12:56 (063081)

I don't have any Birkenstock yet, what can I wear at home?

Mary Ann S on 10/16/01 at 20:04 (063105)

JoAnn, what size do you wear? I have a pair to give away if they will fit but they are a size 42 Boston. I wear a n 11 B.

JoAnn Fl on 10/16/01 at 23:08 (063117)

Thanks, but they would be too big. I wear a 7-8 shoe. Birkenstock would need to be about 39

Bill on 11/03/01 at 07:32 (064042)

I purchased a pair of Sacony's Grid. They are made to prevent Moderate Pronation. I wear them with my rigid orthotics and they feel wonderful. I can run forever. I have recently tried asics and feel the same as you. I wear and 11 and it feels my feet or mostly toes are floating around in the shoe. Only problem is Sacony's don't always have the best looking shoe. My shoe is a wierd blue, black and white. Not very flashy. :-)

Bill

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/11/01 at 16:58 (062774)

John:

The running shoe you use can affect the function of your orthotic up or down by about 25% each way. Your need for control would determine whether the shoes you are using would be adequate. Nevertheless, the better anti-pronation running shoes include the New Balance 1121, New Balance 587, Brooks Beast, Brooks Addiction 4, ASICs Gel MC Plus. The Asics 2060 is a mid-range shoe in its anti-pronation qualities. I have no ratings on the Gel Odyssey.
Ed

Sandy on 10/12/01 at 10:15 (062827)

Hi, I've had these Asics 2060s for about a month now and stopped using various pairs of orthotics (gave me instable ankles) and they do quite well at reducing PF although I still can't run and have a bit of pain. Are the Asics Gel MC Plus shoes really all that much better or do these shoes just push your feet further outward? The best thing about asics 2060s is they are really rigid around the bottom of the heel what do the 'better anti-pronotion running shoes have?

sandy h on 10/12/01 at 10:17 (062829)

Oh and I also wear Birkenstock around the house at the advice of various people on this site and never go around in bare feet and the link for buying over the internet worked a dream for me.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/12/01 at 14:35 (062865)

Orthotics gave you unstable ankles? Please provide more information about that.

The ASICs MC Plus shoes are a neutral plain shoe (as are most shoes nowadays). That is, they do not attempt to angulate your foot. They have a heel cup that reisists side to side motion better than the 2060's, are more rigid in the shank area and use a denser rubber on the medial side to prevent excess pronation.
Ed

sandy h on 10/12/01 at 20:36 (062894)

On the ankles I have joint laxity in my left ankle and it feels a lot worse (at the points where the retinacular tendon attaches I believe) when I am wearing orthotics with sharp shooting pains and the feeling that my leg is popping forwards from my ankle if I place my foot wrong (not sure if the problems are related to PF). Not wearing orthotics makes that problem go away pretty much with only a slight worsening in PF as long as I wear these asics 2060s (I will buy those MC Plus ones next time round thanks for the advice). Nike were too instable and flat soled shoes too much impact. I keep doing physio for ankles (though have to be careful with balancing and toe raising too much as it can start to hurt) so hopefully joint laxity will get better. Dunno if this is related to PF or separate.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/15/01 at 14:41 (063018)

Sandy:

Sounds like your orthotics need to be looked at. They may be over inverting your foot thereby straining your ankles.
Ed

JoAnn Fl on 10/16/01 at 12:56 (063081)

I don't have any Birkenstock yet, what can I wear at home?

Mary Ann S on 10/16/01 at 20:04 (063105)

JoAnn, what size do you wear? I have a pair to give away if they will fit but they are a size 42 Boston. I wear a n 11 B.

JoAnn Fl on 10/16/01 at 23:08 (063117)

Thanks, but they would be too big. I wear a 7-8 shoe. Birkenstock would need to be about 39

Bill on 11/03/01 at 07:32 (064042)

I purchased a pair of Sacony's Grid. They are made to prevent Moderate Pronation. I wear them with my rigid orthotics and they feel wonderful. I can run forever. I have recently tried asics and feel the same as you. I wear and 11 and it feels my feet or mostly toes are floating around in the shoe. Only problem is Sacony's don't always have the best looking shoe. My shoe is a wierd blue, black and white. Not very flashy. :-)

Bill