Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Does anyone recover

Posted by Neil B on 10/11/01 at 12:48 (062743)

Does anybody know if any friend etc who likes sports has actually recovered from PF?? I feel I dare not mountain bike for fear of aggravating it and the messages posted are all so depressing!

Re: Does anyone recover

john h on 10/11/01 at 13:45 (062751)

yes neil more people recover than not. it is estimated that over 90% of the estimated 6 million new cases of pf recover. what you see on this board are the hard core cases. you do not want to become one of us so take it easy for some months until your foot gets back to near normal. if you do not heed your foot's cry for help NOW you will pay later as the Fram man says.

Neil B on 10/11/01 at 14:35 (062755)

Thanks John

Re: Neil

CArmen H on 10/11/01 at 18:41 (062791)

It is a depressing problem to say the least. As the wise man John says ....be careful now and listen to what your feet tell you.
WE are a pretty happy bunch though if you can't tell....we are getting the chance to be stronger people by dealing with such an affliction.

Sandy H. on 10/12/01 at 10:30 (062833)

When you say rest how much walking does that mean you can do without aggravating the condition 20 mins a day? 10? And is ordinary cycling bad for PF? Or doing non-weight bearing physio exercises like toe raises?

Re: Tough questions

Steve P on 10/12/01 at 11:04 (062843)

Sandy -- You asked a couple of tough questions. The answers really depend on your particular situation. Many people find they can be up & about for a certain time (maybe 10 minutes out of an hour, for example) without aggravating their condition. It's a determination you have to make individually.

It's safe to say that long periods of standing/walking are to be avoided until you are clearly improving, but rest can also be overdone & can cause secondary problems due to non-use. So, it's the good old 'happy medium' that we all have to find.

Read the PF Book on this website if you haven't done so already for more thoughts on this.

Best..............Steve

Re: Start small

Carmen H on 10/12/01 at 12:10 (062851)

If you are just beginning to add any type of activity into your day start small and record your progress in a pain journal....then increase and decrease until you see what you can tolerate.
Do you have a doctor you trust to go over a regimen with?

John E. on 10/15/01 at 12:15 (063009)

Neil,

From someone who has kind of just recovered after a basketball injury PF so bad I couldn't walk (day 1), cortisone shot (day 14), enough pain free to be stupid enough to play basketball again (month 2), complete reinjury and 'pop' back to square one (month 2 and two weeks), fear of all doctors & slow recovery (month 3), continued pain and feeling would never recover (months 4 and 5), new podiatrist and aggressive attack on recovery (see below) (months 6 and 7). I find myself now in month 8 able to trot and move pretty much normally, still pop ibuprofen all day long and stretch in morning, ie at night.

Right now I can bike for one to two hours with no pain, and lift weights and do circuit training with mild pain / feeling of swelling. I consider myself fairly healed, but there is no way I will be able to play basketball for at least 4 months I figure, if ever again.

What got me there was a renewed 'attack' on the problem by: 1) sleeping at night with heal splint (from Scott) as long as I could bear it, 2) crawling out of bed in the morning to my sofa without touching my feet to the floor, 3) rolling my foot on tennis ball for fifteen to twenty minutes before 4) stretching for fifteen minutes before taking one single solitary step, and 5) taking 2 to 4 ibuprofen every 6 hours, and 6) icing down before bed every night for 1/2 hour. And also a different heal insert/cup and taping every day in the cup mode, not the end to end mode often recommended here.

I did that for two months, and let me tell you I got pretty sick of it. After about three weeks, my foot was always 'loose' vs. 'tight' and stretching didn't seem to do so much (a good sign to me). I also didn't get nearly enough sleep but I perservered.

Right now I have pulled a few minor tiny muscles or tendons on the outside of each heel, and have little stingers or burners which I attribute to the stress on heals of rolling out of my very high bed and trying to hit the floor in an awkward manner. I just do a little stretching now, and probably should do more but I just got too sick of it.

I hope you could take away from this that you must be diligent, but it is possible to get better although as an athlete you may have to find different sports. Biking is completely fine for me. In the end I decided that being able to run and play with my daughter and friends and family's kids was worth much more than being able to play basketball again, even though that is my favorite activity to do.

Hang in there,

John E.

john h on 10/11/01 at 13:45 (062751)

yes neil more people recover than not. it is estimated that over 90% of the estimated 6 million new cases of pf recover. what you see on this board are the hard core cases. you do not want to become one of us so take it easy for some months until your foot gets back to near normal. if you do not heed your foot's cry for help NOW you will pay later as the Fram man says.

Neil B on 10/11/01 at 14:35 (062755)

Thanks John

CArmen H on 10/11/01 at 18:41 (062791)

It is a depressing problem to say the least. As the wise man John says ....be careful now and listen to what your feet tell you.
WE are a pretty happy bunch though if you can't tell....we are getting the chance to be stronger people by dealing with such an affliction.

Sandy H. on 10/12/01 at 10:30 (062833)

When you say rest how much walking does that mean you can do without aggravating the condition 20 mins a day? 10? And is ordinary cycling bad for PF? Or doing non-weight bearing physio exercises like toe raises?

Re: Tough questions

Steve P on 10/12/01 at 11:04 (062843)

Sandy -- You asked a couple of tough questions. The answers really depend on your particular situation. Many people find they can be up & about for a certain time (maybe 10 minutes out of an hour, for example) without aggravating their condition. It's a determination you have to make individually.

It's safe to say that long periods of standing/walking are to be avoided until you are clearly improving, but rest can also be overdone & can cause secondary problems due to non-use. So, it's the good old 'happy medium' that we all have to find.

Read the PF Book on this website if you haven't done so already for more thoughts on this.

Best..............Steve

Re: Start small

Carmen H on 10/12/01 at 12:10 (062851)

If you are just beginning to add any type of activity into your day start small and record your progress in a pain journal....then increase and decrease until you see what you can tolerate.
Do you have a doctor you trust to go over a regimen with?

John E. on 10/15/01 at 12:15 (063009)

Neil,

From someone who has kind of just recovered after a basketball injury PF so bad I couldn't walk (day 1), cortisone shot (day 14), enough pain free to be stupid enough to play basketball again (month 2), complete reinjury and 'pop' back to square one (month 2 and two weeks), fear of all doctors & slow recovery (month 3), continued pain and feeling would never recover (months 4 and 5), new podiatrist and aggressive attack on recovery (see below) (months 6 and 7). I find myself now in month 8 able to trot and move pretty much normally, still pop ibuprofen all day long and stretch in morning, ie at night.

Right now I can bike for one to two hours with no pain, and lift weights and do circuit training with mild pain / feeling of swelling. I consider myself fairly healed, but there is no way I will be able to play basketball for at least 4 months I figure, if ever again.

What got me there was a renewed 'attack' on the problem by: 1) sleeping at night with heal splint (from Scott) as long as I could bear it, 2) crawling out of bed in the morning to my sofa without touching my feet to the floor, 3) rolling my foot on tennis ball for fifteen to twenty minutes before 4) stretching for fifteen minutes before taking one single solitary step, and 5) taking 2 to 4 ibuprofen every 6 hours, and 6) icing down before bed every night for 1/2 hour. And also a different heal insert/cup and taping every day in the cup mode, not the end to end mode often recommended here.

I did that for two months, and let me tell you I got pretty sick of it. After about three weeks, my foot was always 'loose' vs. 'tight' and stretching didn't seem to do so much (a good sign to me). I also didn't get nearly enough sleep but I perservered.

Right now I have pulled a few minor tiny muscles or tendons on the outside of each heel, and have little stingers or burners which I attribute to the stress on heals of rolling out of my very high bed and trying to hit the floor in an awkward manner. I just do a little stretching now, and probably should do more but I just got too sick of it.

I hope you could take away from this that you must be diligent, but it is possible to get better although as an athlete you may have to find different sports. Biking is completely fine for me. In the end I decided that being able to run and play with my daughter and friends and family's kids was worth much more than being able to play basketball again, even though that is my favorite activity to do.

Hang in there,

John E.