Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

out of curiosity...course of treatment?

Posted by Dona on 10/11/01 at 16:58 (062773)

There are lots of different stories on this board as to how TTS has been treated. I'm just curious as to a general outline of the course of treatment people have undergone for this. I go back next week to discuss this, knowing the dr is going to insist on a cortisone shot (he did last time too, and I hesitated). I have done ice, Vioxx, heat, EMG, and ankle exercises so far. What could conceivably come next? When does casting or an MRI come in? How bad does one have to feel before surgery? How many cortisone shots to take care of the problem (if they do)? I'm leaning away from the cortisone because I'm not convinced the TTS didn't stem from the first one I received for a heel spur. I developed the TTS symptoms a week after the shot, with a definite instance of the beginning of pain. Anyone have definite ideas about what CAN be done for TTS?
Thanks.
Dona

Re: out of curiosity...course of treatment?

cindyp on 10/11/01 at 18:47 (062792)

Well I had symptoms , thinking back and now knowing what they were, for 15 years. Then I have went to the dr. for foot problems forever. Then I had an mri and they found a mass on the nerve. I guess they have you do an mri when they can't really pin down why. I had one cortizone shot which also did nothing. Told them after that no thank you then they wanted me to see a psychiatrist because they said I was untreatable. Went to another dr. because that was unacceptable. He viewed my records and said surgery as soon as possible. So I guess it varies from dr. to dr. but I am grateful for the surgery because I feel great.

Don D on 10/12/01 at 05:43 (062816)

CindyP, the cortisone shots did nothing for me. I have classic TTS symptoms. Surgery is scheduled soon. After the shots, I had a MRI in both feet and ankle areas. Don't know the results yet. I viewed the MRI films and it is tryly amazing the detail. Both feet and ankles cost $3800. Thankful for insurance. Have tried inserts, but no success. Had a nerve conduction test, also expensive, and it showed cronic nerve loss.From my understandiing, if the tibial nerve is trapped and compressed, the only relief is to free it, meaning surgery. Hope this has helped, good luck.

cindyp on 10/11/01 at 18:47 (062792)

Well I had symptoms , thinking back and now knowing what they were, for 15 years. Then I have went to the dr. for foot problems forever. Then I had an mri and they found a mass on the nerve. I guess they have you do an mri when they can't really pin down why. I had one cortizone shot which also did nothing. Told them after that no thank you then they wanted me to see a psychiatrist because they said I was untreatable. Went to another dr. because that was unacceptable. He viewed my records and said surgery as soon as possible. So I guess it varies from dr. to dr. but I am grateful for the surgery because I feel great.

Don D on 10/12/01 at 05:43 (062816)

CindyP, the cortisone shots did nothing for me. I have classic TTS symptoms. Surgery is scheduled soon. After the shots, I had a MRI in both feet and ankle areas. Don't know the results yet. I viewed the MRI films and it is tryly amazing the detail. Both feet and ankles cost $3800. Thankful for insurance. Have tried inserts, but no success. Had a nerve conduction test, also expensive, and it showed cronic nerve loss.From my understandiing, if the tibial nerve is trapped and compressed, the only relief is to free it, meaning surgery. Hope this has helped, good luck.