Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Metatarsal Tarsal fusion foot surgery and !

Posted by Pat ricia J. on 10/12/01 at 22:14 (062899)

I had a severe bunion and hypermobile foot which required the first metatarsal to be fused with a screw and two pins. The bunion was removed and now I have a straight big toe. The second toe had to be shortened and the ligaments altered. It was a long haul and after 10 weeks in a non-weight bearing cast, I have a post op shoe and was told I could now walk. However, I am in extreme pain when walking and my foot is red and swollen. I wondered if anybody had ideas on how to get this foot on the road to recovery. Icing and staying off it helps, but i need to walk to get it back to health. Right now, it is like a wooden foot. The exercise the Doc. told me to do are excruciatingly painful. Any ideas?

Re: Metatarsal Tarsal fusion foot surgery and !

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/12/01 at 23:59 (062903)

Does your doctor knows that you foot is painful, red , hot and swollen.
These are the classic signs of infection and you need to call your doctor as soon as possible.

P. Blue on 10/17/01 at 11:56 (063144)

Yes, my doctor does know. He says it is normal and that the swelling will be the last thing to go;that it may take as long as six months to go down!
I was hoping for something I could do to accelerate the process of healing. Also to hear from others who have had this procedure. Along with the metatarsal fusion, I had the bunion removed, and the 2nd toe shortened.
Thanks.

JudyS on 10/17/01 at 15:28 (063161)

just curious, P. Blue, as to what part of the country you live in? My sister was married to a 'Blue' and that was the only time I'd heard the name.

nancy s. on 10/17/01 at 16:55 (063178)

now i'm taking this even farther off the subject, but:

i knew a woman whose first name was Blue, and she married a guy named Sandy Green, so her name was Blue Green.
scout's honor.
nancy

JudyS on 10/18/01 at 10:42 (063215)

so.......then does the 's' in Nancy s stand for 'Scout'? :)

nancy s. on 10/18/01 at 11:18 (063223)

yes, judy, you got it. the 's' in my name has stood for 'scout' ever since reading the book and seeing the movie 'to kill a mockingbird,' one of my very favorites.
you're so smart!

JudyS on 10/18/01 at 14:50 (063235)

well then, to take the thought one step further.....are Bruce and Demi your godparents? God forbid. :)

P. Blue on 11/04/01 at 20:06 (064124)

Marrried name Blue. I live in Manhattan. But husband is from New Orleans area.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/12/01 at 23:59 (062903)

Does your doctor knows that you foot is painful, red , hot and swollen.
These are the classic signs of infection and you need to call your doctor as soon as possible.

P. Blue on 10/17/01 at 11:56 (063144)

Yes, my doctor does know. He says it is normal and that the swelling will be the last thing to go;that it may take as long as six months to go down!
I was hoping for something I could do to accelerate the process of healing. Also to hear from others who have had this procedure. Along with the metatarsal fusion, I had the bunion removed, and the 2nd toe shortened.
Thanks.

JudyS on 10/17/01 at 15:28 (063161)

just curious, P. Blue, as to what part of the country you live in? My sister was married to a 'Blue' and that was the only time I'd heard the name.

nancy s. on 10/17/01 at 16:55 (063178)

now i'm taking this even farther off the subject, but:

i knew a woman whose first name was Blue, and she married a guy named Sandy Green, so her name was Blue Green.
scout's honor.
nancy

JudyS on 10/18/01 at 10:42 (063215)

so.......then does the 's' in Nancy s stand for 'Scout'? :)

nancy s. on 10/18/01 at 11:18 (063223)

yes, judy, you got it. the 's' in my name has stood for 'scout' ever since reading the book and seeing the movie 'to kill a mockingbird,' one of my very favorites.
you're so smart!

JudyS on 10/18/01 at 14:50 (063235)

well then, to take the thought one step further.....are Bruce and Demi your godparents? God forbid. :)

P. Blue on 11/04/01 at 20:06 (064124)

Marrried name Blue. I live in Manhattan. But husband is from New Orleans area.