Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

burning soles and numb toes

Posted by Dollie on 10/13/01 at 10:26 (062915)

I'm presently taking neurontin 400 mg and this helps for about 3 hours for the accompanying heel swelling/burser/pump-heel problem. The burning soles and numb toes are some days worse than others, many times awakening me at night. First thing in the morning, I can't walk well, but after ten minutes or so, walk normally. Is there a name for all of this that I can relate to my HMO physician, so that she can properly treat this problem? Thanks for any help.

Re: burning soles and numb toes

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/13/01 at 19:19 (062939)

This sounds like classic heel spur /plantar fasciitis. If neurontin is the only treatment that your HMO physician is offering without any further evaluation it is time to demand that you see podiatrist . How long have you had this problem and what testing and or evaluation have you had done

Dollie L on 10/18/01 at 06:25 (063205)

I was referred to a podiatrist about a year ago and his recommendation was to buy shoes from 'Feet and Shoes' store. I have had the condition since a trip to the Holy Land two years ago...long flight, and 17 days of walking from dawn until dark. Immediately after trip over my feet were swollen (as were everyone else's!)and I sometimes slept with them on the wall above the bed. After returning home (Washington state) the swelling was reduced but the burning and numbness on the balls of my feet and all toes was extremely painful. I waited a month or so before mentioning this to my doctor, since I felt it would go away. When I did, she thought it would go away too, but a few months later, it still hadn't so she sent me to the podiatrist. I have had this 'bursur' on my heel for years, but it only started hurting after the other stuff happened. It is very pronounced, but doesn't hurt to touch (too much!) unless the achilles tendon gets stretched by walking barefooted. I wear about an inch high heel with open-heeled shoes at all times. I go for annual physical next week and will push for more investigation. I can't tell if the neurontin helps the tingling/burning/numbness, or the achilles problem. I know many people, all ages and both sexes, who have this thing (including my 40 year old son who is in the airforce) and all are stymied. I was up to 8 ibuprofen a day, but that didn't make doctor happy, so she upped the dosage to 400 mg 3x a day. I know they use this for diabetics, who sometimes suffer the same foot pain, and she doesn't find any contraindications to my taking it. I value your opinion , but wasn't impressed by podiatrist...changing shoes has not helped and I really had the impression I was the first person who had ever complained of my problem. The bursur was something he could see, underline 'see', and he couldn't see the toe and front foot burning. Walking is no problem, and if I'm sitting, I sometimes get up and walk to reduce the pain. Thanks for any help you can be. Dollie

Re: DOLLIE...please read

Carmen H on 10/18/01 at 08:11 (063210)

Dollie~First I am not a dr. but wanted to contact you b/c I too have the burning soles and toes....tingling and numbness too. When I am walking it is less noticeable and I also walk for relief sometimes. Forget about sitting down and standing still at the end of the day. TOO painful. Takes about a 1/2 hour to get relief at night after laying down. I was on 2,700 mg of Neurontin and it did nothing. 9 NSAIDS and not one helped. I had an EMG test, deficiency test, MRI of back, all kinds of blood work and nothing came back positive. ALL normal. Have you been tested for ANYTHING? That's your first step. Start ruling things out. THAT'S important so you don't miss anything really important. ALSO am I reading this right and are you still wearing high heel shoes with an open heel?? Is this what your POD told you to do?
Also are your feet red or swollen?
Your symptoms sound exactly like mine right down to the getting up to walking around for relief. My symptoms have been changing over time since I got PF though and I have had these for the longest and I seem STUCK here. Please feel free to contact me at carmenfh@worldnet.att.net and I will be happy to tell you what I have tried and maybe together we can rule out some things.
I also have some sites you can look into for nerve info....

Dollie on 11/02/01 at 13:10 (064007)

Please, Doctors,from what I've read, there doesn't seem to be a simple solution to PF, but is there any relief? The burning is intolerable; am getting little sleep and am irritable as all get out. What pain medication is there? I have an ulcer and hiatal hernia, so am restricted by those. Have stopped neurontin, doctor sez no more ibuprofin so what other relief is there.... HELP! and Thanks!

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/13/01 at 19:19 (062939)

This sounds like classic heel spur /plantar fasciitis. If neurontin is the only treatment that your HMO physician is offering without any further evaluation it is time to demand that you see podiatrist . How long have you had this problem and what testing and or evaluation have you had done

Dollie L on 10/18/01 at 06:25 (063205)

I was referred to a podiatrist about a year ago and his recommendation was to buy shoes from 'Feet and Shoes' store. I have had the condition since a trip to the Holy Land two years ago...long flight, and 17 days of walking from dawn until dark. Immediately after trip over my feet were swollen (as were everyone else's!)and I sometimes slept with them on the wall above the bed. After returning home (Washington state) the swelling was reduced but the burning and numbness on the balls of my feet and all toes was extremely painful. I waited a month or so before mentioning this to my doctor, since I felt it would go away. When I did, she thought it would go away too, but a few months later, it still hadn't so she sent me to the podiatrist. I have had this 'bursur' on my heel for years, but it only started hurting after the other stuff happened. It is very pronounced, but doesn't hurt to touch (too much!) unless the achilles tendon gets stretched by walking barefooted. I wear about an inch high heel with open-heeled shoes at all times. I go for annual physical next week and will push for more investigation. I can't tell if the neurontin helps the tingling/burning/numbness, or the achilles problem. I know many people, all ages and both sexes, who have this thing (including my 40 year old son who is in the airforce) and all are stymied. I was up to 8 ibuprofen a day, but that didn't make doctor happy, so she upped the dosage to 400 mg 3x a day. I know they use this for diabetics, who sometimes suffer the same foot pain, and she doesn't find any contraindications to my taking it. I value your opinion , but wasn't impressed by podiatrist...changing shoes has not helped and I really had the impression I was the first person who had ever complained of my problem. The bursur was something he could see, underline 'see', and he couldn't see the toe and front foot burning. Walking is no problem, and if I'm sitting, I sometimes get up and walk to reduce the pain. Thanks for any help you can be. Dollie

Re: DOLLIE...please read

Carmen H on 10/18/01 at 08:11 (063210)

Dollie~First I am not a dr. but wanted to contact you b/c I too have the burning soles and toes....tingling and numbness too. When I am walking it is less noticeable and I also walk for relief sometimes. Forget about sitting down and standing still at the end of the day. TOO painful. Takes about a 1/2 hour to get relief at night after laying down. I was on 2,700 mg of Neurontin and it did nothing. 9 NSAIDS and not one helped. I had an EMG test, deficiency test, MRI of back, all kinds of blood work and nothing came back positive. ALL normal. Have you been tested for ANYTHING? That's your first step. Start ruling things out. THAT'S important so you don't miss anything really important. ALSO am I reading this right and are you still wearing high heel shoes with an open heel?? Is this what your POD told you to do?
Also are your feet red or swollen?
Your symptoms sound exactly like mine right down to the getting up to walking around for relief. My symptoms have been changing over time since I got PF though and I have had these for the longest and I seem STUCK here. Please feel free to contact me at carmenfh@worldnet.att.net and I will be happy to tell you what I have tried and maybe together we can rule out some things.
I also have some sites you can look into for nerve info....

Dollie on 11/02/01 at 13:10 (064007)

Please, Doctors,from what I've read, there doesn't seem to be a simple solution to PF, but is there any relief? The burning is intolerable; am getting little sleep and am irritable as all get out. What pain medication is there? I have an ulcer and hiatal hernia, so am restricted by those. Have stopped neurontin, doctor sez no more ibuprofin so what other relief is there.... HELP! and Thanks!