Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Has this been your experience?

Posted by Suzanne D on 10/13/01 at 18:36 (062938)

I keep learning each day through reading on this site! I just wanted to ask if anyone else has had this experience: I am thankful that the intense pain I felt at the onset of PF the first of June is not so severe. It no longer wakes me in the night, and each step is not so painful when I am wearing Birkenstock when I don't jump up too quickly, and when I am not on my feet too much and keep at the stretching, etc. When it began, it was my left foot. Now BOTH feet, while not as painful, are quite stiff, and it seems to take such an effort to walk - even when it is not hurting much. I feel like my legs and feet are 'heavy', and they get tired more easily. Is this 'normal' in the healing process? I know this is a very individual ailment, but I just wondered if what I am experiencing is following anyone else's pattern. Thanks!

My best to each of you... :-)

Re: Has this been your experience?

JoAnn Fl on 10/13/01 at 23:48 (062951)

It sounds like we are on the same path. I don't have any Birkenstock yet, maybe soon. I don't know if this is healing or I'm that I'm getting use to it. I'm now having arch pain in my other foot also. I am just hoping it will one day go away!

Suzanne D on 10/15/01 at 21:00 (063027)

Thanks for your reply, JoAnn. Yes, I guess there are many on our path! At least that makes for companionship along the way, doesn't it? Here's hoping that we both improve! :-)

Steve P on 10/17/01 at 10:43 (063140)

Hi Suzanne. Yes, what you say above makes sense to me. Progress can be uneven & sometimes can be measured in small ways only. Sometimes gains will not hold. But I always feel that if I've achieved a 'new high', even just for one day, I am progressing overall. That 'new high' will be met & eventually exceeded another day.

This is not an injury for the impatient, is it?

:-)

Best.........Steve

Suzanne D on 10/17/01 at 11:39 (063143)

I posted a response to your message the other day, but I see that I must not have done something right because it is not here! What I said was thank you and that you always seem to have a positive outlook and an encouraging word for everyone! Hope things are going well for you... :-)

Bonita L. on 10/17/01 at 20:34 (063196)

I am very new to PF. So far only one foot is affected since August. I've gotten orthotics,( on the advice of my chiropracter) both 'thicker' and 'thinner', the latter to fit in dress shoes. Find I even put the thinner orthotics in my Birkenstock It feels good! Am starting stretching excercises and icing with some success. As some of you said, some days are better than others but it seems I'm never far away from some level of discomfort. What gets me down is knowing that I won't be able to walk around the house and yard barefoot as I always used to do , which is probably what got me into this mess.
Also, I've had some prominant varicose veins on my affected left leg for years - they have been more of an aesthetic annoyance than painful and I'm wondering if these might have some affect on PF? Has anyone else out there got this 'double whammy' problem?

Re: Has this been your experience?stretching discovery

michaelk on 10/18/01 at 15:41 (063241)

This is week #11 of my P.F. , and my PF was getting better until 2 weeks ago- whereby i'm back to square 1, just about. 2 days ago i made a discovery, that if i don't stretch (contrary to what many people advise) - my feet get better. For 10 weeks i didn't run, stretched, iced , physio, etc - but just a gentle stretch 2 days ago,felt like a small tear but with no pain, made me realize that if my tendons/fascia are torn - i need to let it heal, not stretch, that's why it's not getting better. For me i was always careful stretching, to ensure no pain, but i find it's like facing a guillotine, you gently stretch with no pain- till you feel it pull - but then it's too late - cause the tendons are tearing , cause you've torn it again, and that's why it takes so long to heal - they keep retearing all the time, without our knowledge, just like you mention that when you stand up quickly or take a large step- you get a big tear, and a small stretch makes a little tear. Like someone mentioned previously, the only way to get rid of this fast is - rest for 3 months, nothing else !

JoAnn Fl on 10/13/01 at 23:48 (062951)

It sounds like we are on the same path. I don't have any Birkenstock yet, maybe soon. I don't know if this is healing or I'm that I'm getting use to it. I'm now having arch pain in my other foot also. I am just hoping it will one day go away!

Suzanne D on 10/15/01 at 21:00 (063027)

Thanks for your reply, JoAnn. Yes, I guess there are many on our path! At least that makes for companionship along the way, doesn't it? Here's hoping that we both improve! :-)

Steve P on 10/17/01 at 10:43 (063140)

Hi Suzanne. Yes, what you say above makes sense to me. Progress can be uneven & sometimes can be measured in small ways only. Sometimes gains will not hold. But I always feel that if I've achieved a 'new high', even just for one day, I am progressing overall. That 'new high' will be met & eventually exceeded another day.

This is not an injury for the impatient, is it?

:-)

Best.........Steve

Suzanne D on 10/17/01 at 11:39 (063143)

I posted a response to your message the other day, but I see that I must not have done something right because it is not here! What I said was thank you and that you always seem to have a positive outlook and an encouraging word for everyone! Hope things are going well for you... :-)

Bonita L. on 10/17/01 at 20:34 (063196)

I am very new to PF. So far only one foot is affected since August. I've gotten orthotics,( on the advice of my chiropracter) both 'thicker' and 'thinner', the latter to fit in dress shoes. Find I even put the thinner orthotics in my Birkenstock It feels good! Am starting stretching excercises and icing with some success. As some of you said, some days are better than others but it seems I'm never far away from some level of discomfort. What gets me down is knowing that I won't be able to walk around the house and yard barefoot as I always used to do , which is probably what got me into this mess.
Also, I've had some prominant varicose veins on my affected left leg for years - they have been more of an aesthetic annoyance than painful and I'm wondering if these might have some affect on PF? Has anyone else out there got this 'double whammy' problem?

Re: Has this been your experience?stretching discovery

michaelk on 10/18/01 at 15:41 (063241)

This is week #11 of my P.F. , and my PF was getting better until 2 weeks ago- whereby i'm back to square 1, just about. 2 days ago i made a discovery, that if i don't stretch (contrary to what many people advise) - my feet get better. For 10 weeks i didn't run, stretched, iced , physio, etc - but just a gentle stretch 2 days ago,felt like a small tear but with no pain, made me realize that if my tendons/fascia are torn - i need to let it heal, not stretch, that's why it's not getting better. For me i was always careful stretching, to ensure no pain, but i find it's like facing a guillotine, you gently stretch with no pain- till you feel it pull - but then it's too late - cause the tendons are tearing , cause you've torn it again, and that's why it takes so long to heal - they keep retearing all the time, without our knowledge, just like you mention that when you stand up quickly or take a large step- you get a big tear, and a small stretch makes a little tear. Like someone mentioned previously, the only way to get rid of this fast is - rest for 3 months, nothing else !