Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT - What to expect

Posted by Jack W. on 10/14/01 at 15:28 (062980)

I had ESWT for the first time 5 weeks ago for Insertional Tendonitis which was probably the result of the pounding that takes place due to years of running. I refrained from running for three weeks and the swelling and inflammation went down and continues to be much reduced. I resumed running in the last two weeks. Last week I felt that I was really on the road to recovery due to ESWT since I experienced minimal discomfort both during and after the runs. The beginning of this week started well but the last two days have been different. Pain level was not bad during the runs but have experienced burning pain after, which would come and go. Also, a dull discomfort exists hours later. Actually it felt much as it did before ESWT. I never asked what I should expect post ESWT. Is it common to have a see-saw recovery; or is it usually continuous but slow? Is this 'relapse' common? Has this ESWT treatment reached the end of its effectiveness? Will future ESWT treatments pick up where this one left off?

Re: ESWT - What to expect

Dr. Zuckerma on 10/14/01 at 15:51 (062984)

You can have complete relief, up and downs, gradual improvement. Now if you find that the running is causing increased pain, back off from these amounts of running that you are doing. Tyical ESWT healing takes place from one to twelve weeks. The most amount of healing is most between week six and week twelve. Additional ESWT are accumulative and have a positive effect on the area being treated.

So at this point back off the amoint of running if pain levels are increasing

Re: ESWT - What to expect

Dr. Zuckerma on 10/14/01 at 15:51 (062984)

You can have complete relief, up and downs, gradual improvement. Now if you find that the running is causing increased pain, back off from these amounts of running that you are doing. Tyical ESWT healing takes place from one to twelve weeks. The most amount of healing is most between week six and week twelve. Additional ESWT are accumulative and have a positive effect on the area being treated.

So at this point back off the amoint of running if pain levels are increasing