Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

help

Posted by bill t. on 10/15/01 at 13:30 (063014)

Over five years ago I noticed when trying on certain shoes that my left arch seemed slightly 'flatter' than my right. Before this I had had some minor problems with bursitis in my left hip.

The bursitis in my hip became very intense when I was competing in 5K races. Later I quit running but I realized that my left arch had fallen to a more substantial degree. Strangely, my hip pain had improved. Now I have Achilles tendon problems and the bursitis in my hip seems to flair up more often. I've tried specially made orthotics, I've also tried the store bought heal supports but the soreness continues and now I seem to be having knee problems in that same leg.

It seems that all of this started with minor bursitis problems and has cascaded into far more serious problems. I can't seem to realize what initially caused this cascade of problems. Does anyone have any ideas? Also, what are my options now, and is there anything I can do to prevent any further injury? (I'm a 31 year old athletic male - if that helps in any suggestions.)
please help.

Re: help

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/16/01 at 08:52 (063055)

Hi,

You could have a tear in your posterior tibial tendon. This is one of the tendons that when ripped will cause a collapse or dropping of the arch.

An mri with an examanation is what is need at this time. As you can see
it has started to cause hip pain etc.

Re: help

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/16/01 at 08:52 (063055)

Hi,

You could have a tear in your posterior tibial tendon. This is one of the tendons that when ripped will cause a collapse or dropping of the arch.

An mri with an examanation is what is need at this time. As you can see
it has started to cause hip pain etc.