Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Elliptical Trainers

Posted by Roberta on 10/17/01 at 09:02 (063131)

Hi all:

I'm trying to exercise while dealing with PF. The only thing, so far, that I can do without painor further injury is the stationary bike, which is so boring. I'm thinking about buying an elliptical trainer. Has anyone had experience using this equipment, either positive or negative. It's a big investment, and I was hoping to get some feedback from my fellow sufferers. Thanks.

Re: go to a gym and try it

Carmen H on 10/17/01 at 09:18 (063132)

I have had a lot experience using the Ellip. trainer before PF occurred....
If I were you I would go to a gym (if you don't belong to one be a guest for a week or get a pass)or a sports Equipment retailer and try it for yourself. I got bored by the bike too but it may be your safest bet at this point. How advanced is the PF?
Elliptical trainers are good but as with any exercise you need to work 20 min. to raise your heart rate and only after that are you really burning calories...and will have to go for 20-30 more minutes to get maxmimum results.
So if you try the Ellipt. trainer and it hurts after 15-20 minutes I wouldn't bother investing.....just my opinion.

Re: Elliptical Trainers

Pamela S on 10/17/01 at 13:03 (063150)

I have had very good luck with this equipment, even while dealing with PF. Of course, you should try it for at least a week first, to verify that your feet can handle it.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/17/01 at 18:23 (063186)

Elliptical trainers are usually a good choice for people with plantar fasciitis. Pamela's idea of trying one at the gym first is a good one.
Ed

Re: I bought a Precor, just now using.

Brenda G. on 10/18/01 at 11:38 (063224)

Hi, just wanted to post my experience with ellitical trainers. I've had PF for 1 year now, previous to that I worked out on a Precor at a gym and was addicted to it. I just loved it!! After rupturing my fascia and not being able to exercise, I decided to take the plunge and invest in a Precor. I bought it in May, jumped on it for 20 minutes. After an hour I could tell that I again had probably reinjured the fascia. I've allowed myself to heal a little longer and have just now starting to exercise again. I'm starting slowly, 5 minutes a day for a week, then increasing 5 minutes a week. I know this sounds slow, but I'm not willing to do more until I know it'll be okay. My anniversary is Nov 4, it was on that day 1 year ago, my pain was 24/7, not just early morning. My biggest concern on the Precor is whether or not I should let the FootFlex with the motion, or keep it flat on the pedal. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate the input. Brenda

Re: foot flex, not Footflex

Brenda G. on 10/18/01 at 11:51 (063227)

Above I was just typing about flexing the foot or not, not mentioning the product. I guess I left my space out, sorry. Brenda

JudyS on 10/18/01 at 14:54 (063237)

I have a FootFlex that I'm not using......I'd be glad to send it to anyone who might want it....no charge, of course. :)

john h on 10/18/01 at 19:40 (063249)

i on occasion use one at the club. good exercise but you are on your feet and it may or may not cause you increased pain.

JoAnn Fl on 10/18/01 at 22:49 (063274)

Judy, if you don't want it I'd like to give it a try. Send me a email at joann8583@webtv.net Thanks. :)

Phyllis P. on 10/22/01 at 13:16 (063421)

Beware ... this is the exercise machine that caused my painful PF condition. I loved the machine before I started having problems. If you decide to purchase it, don't stay on it for long lengths of time ... I was staying on for an hour at a time and I think that's what did it. It's been 10 mons. now and I am still struggling with this problem. Good luck.

Roberta on 10/22/01 at 15:23 (063424)

Yikes. Sounds like mixed reviews. Thanks to all who replied. Caveat emptor, I suppose. Back to the bike for me! Does anyone have any other exercise suggestions?

Re: Was it specifically a Precor?

Brenda G on 10/22/01 at 16:36 (063428)

It has an adjustable ramp, I thought by keeping it lower, it would be safer. Thanks.

Tammy M on 10/24/01 at 18:08 (063566)

I found the elliptical trainer to be great for my foot--a little hard on my knees though, only because I tended to 'lock' my knees--you need a slight bend I think. Other than that, go for it, but gradually at first. Good luck!

Re: Elliptical Trainers, Bought one...

Roberta on 10/26/01 at 10:59 (063620)

...with a 30 day money back guarantee. Tried a bunch of them at the store. Some had an action that bent the foot upward; positively awful, made me yowl in pain. Salesman said that runners liked those, though I can't imagine why. The one I bought kept the footbed level and has an adjustable stride length. For anyone interested, it's a 'SportsArt'. Again, thanks for all the responses.

Re: go to a gym and try it

Carmen H on 10/17/01 at 09:18 (063132)

I have had a lot experience using the Ellip. trainer before PF occurred....
If I were you I would go to a gym (if you don't belong to one be a guest for a week or get a pass)or a sports Equipment retailer and try it for yourself. I got bored by the bike too but it may be your safest bet at this point. How advanced is the PF?
Elliptical trainers are good but as with any exercise you need to work 20 min. to raise your heart rate and only after that are you really burning calories...and will have to go for 20-30 more minutes to get maxmimum results.
So if you try the Ellipt. trainer and it hurts after 15-20 minutes I wouldn't bother investing.....just my opinion.

Pamela S on 10/17/01 at 13:03 (063150)

I have had very good luck with this equipment, even while dealing with PF. Of course, you should try it for at least a week first, to verify that your feet can handle it.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/17/01 at 18:23 (063186)

Elliptical trainers are usually a good choice for people with plantar fasciitis. Pamela's idea of trying one at the gym first is a good one.
Ed

Re: I bought a Precor, just now using.

Brenda G. on 10/18/01 at 11:38 (063224)

Hi, just wanted to post my experience with ellitical trainers. I've had PF for 1 year now, previous to that I worked out on a Precor at a gym and was addicted to it. I just loved it!! After rupturing my fascia and not being able to exercise, I decided to take the plunge and invest in a Precor. I bought it in May, jumped on it for 20 minutes. After an hour I could tell that I again had probably reinjured the fascia. I've allowed myself to heal a little longer and have just now starting to exercise again. I'm starting slowly, 5 minutes a day for a week, then increasing 5 minutes a week. I know this sounds slow, but I'm not willing to do more until I know it'll be okay. My anniversary is Nov 4, it was on that day 1 year ago, my pain was 24/7, not just early morning. My biggest concern on the Precor is whether or not I should let the FootFlex with the motion, or keep it flat on the pedal. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate the input. Brenda

Brenda G. on 10/18/01 at 11:51 (063227)

Above I was just typing about flexing the foot or not, not mentioning the product. I guess I left my space out, sorry. Brenda

JudyS on 10/18/01 at 14:54 (063237)

I have a FootFlex that I'm not using......I'd be glad to send it to anyone who might want it....no charge, of course. :)

john h on 10/18/01 at 19:40 (063249)

i on occasion use one at the club. good exercise but you are on your feet and it may or may not cause you increased pain.

JoAnn Fl on 10/18/01 at 22:49 (063274)

Judy, if you don't want it I'd like to give it a try. Send me a email at joann8583@webtv.net Thanks. :)

Phyllis P. on 10/22/01 at 13:16 (063421)

Beware ... this is the exercise machine that caused my painful PF condition. I loved the machine before I started having problems. If you decide to purchase it, don't stay on it for long lengths of time ... I was staying on for an hour at a time and I think that's what did it. It's been 10 mons. now and I am still struggling with this problem. Good luck.

Roberta on 10/22/01 at 15:23 (063424)

Yikes. Sounds like mixed reviews. Thanks to all who replied. Caveat emptor, I suppose. Back to the bike for me! Does anyone have any other exercise suggestions?

Re: Was it specifically a Precor?

Brenda G on 10/22/01 at 16:36 (063428)

It has an adjustable ramp, I thought by keeping it lower, it would be safer. Thanks.

Tammy M on 10/24/01 at 18:08 (063566)

I found the elliptical trainer to be great for my foot--a little hard on my knees though, only because I tended to 'lock' my knees--you need a slight bend I think. Other than that, go for it, but gradually at first. Good luck!

Re: Elliptical Trainers, Bought one...

Roberta on 10/26/01 at 10:59 (063620)

...with a 30 day money back guarantee. Tried a bunch of them at the store. Some had an action that bent the foot upward; positively awful, made me yowl in pain. Salesman said that runners liked those, though I can't imagine why. The one I bought kept the footbed level and has an adjustable stride length. For anyone interested, it's a 'SportsArt'. Again, thanks for all the responses.