Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

break-in period for second pair of Birks?

Posted by elliott on 10/17/01 at 13:59 (063153)

If one has already got used to a pair of Birkenstock is there a break-in period all over again for a new identical pair until the new cork molds to the foot? Thanks.

Re: break-in period for second pair of Birks?

Suzanne D on 10/17/01 at 19:31 (063190)

Yes, there appears to be, Elliott. At least for me that has been the case. As you said, it must be that the new cork has to mold to the foot with each pair of shoes.

Best wishes...

Mike D on 10/23/01 at 15:53 (063473)

I found a technique that helps with the break-in. (1) wear two pairs of socks during the break-in, and (2) locate the high spots that are causing the pain. Lay the shoes on a hard surface and use a hammer to strike the high spots. You are only to trying to soften the cork so it will start to compress sooner and conform to your foot. Hit hard--I use about a dozen strokes.

On a second note, I got in touch with Birkenstock and the Tatami's no longer have the extra high arch. In fact, their arch height is now a little lower than the 'classic' cork style that we all love.

Suzanne D on 10/17/01 at 19:31 (063190)

Yes, there appears to be, Elliott. At least for me that has been the case. As you said, it must be that the new cork has to mold to the foot with each pair of shoes.

Best wishes...

Mike D on 10/23/01 at 15:53 (063473)

I found a technique that helps with the break-in. (1) wear two pairs of socks during the break-in, and (2) locate the high spots that are causing the pain. Lay the shoes on a hard surface and use a hammer to strike the high spots. You are only to trying to soften the cork so it will start to compress sooner and conform to your foot. Hit hard--I use about a dozen strokes.

On a second note, I got in touch with Birkenstock and the Tatami's no longer have the extra high arch. In fact, their arch height is now a little lower than the 'classic' cork style that we all love.