Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Injury induced PF

Posted by John E. on 10/18/01 at 08:48 (063211)

If the cause of PF is a clear instance of a sports injury occurring at a fixed point in time, is the thinking about use of orthotics different then if it was caused by excessive overuse over a long and continuous period of time?

Seems like orthotics are to correct incorrect stride, while injury during sports may have been due to other things - in my case excessive training isolating calf muscles causing them to get very tight prior to injury.

John E.

Re: Injury induced PF

JudyS on 10/18/01 at 10:52 (063217)

John - I am not a doctor and I hope a couple of them here respond to your question as it is a good one......just as anecdotal evidence for you, I have a couple of athlete friends who did indeed injure or tear their Plantar Fascia as a result of a single-instance activity (basketball) and, with proper IMMEDIATE care, healed just fine and do not use orthotics. I suspect it's that immediate thing that is critical or it would seem likely that one would indeed end up needing orthotics or some other long-term aid.
However, my own long-term issue with PF was in fact caused by shortened calf muscles coupled with over-training over time......I never paid attention to it when I should have. That's a little different than a one-time injury like jumping for a lay-up in BB.

Re: Injury induced PF

JudyS on 10/18/01 at 10:52 (063217)

John - I am not a doctor and I hope a couple of them here respond to your question as it is a good one......just as anecdotal evidence for you, I have a couple of athlete friends who did indeed injure or tear their Plantar Fascia as a result of a single-instance activity (basketball) and, with proper IMMEDIATE care, healed just fine and do not use orthotics. I suspect it's that immediate thing that is critical or it would seem likely that one would indeed end up needing orthotics or some other long-term aid.
However, my own long-term issue with PF was in fact caused by shortened calf muscles coupled with over-training over time......I never paid attention to it when I should have. That's a little different than a one-time injury like jumping for a lay-up in BB.