Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Inserts hitting arch incorrectly.

Posted by Brenda G. on 10/18/01 at 11:48 (063226)

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has had this experience. I don't know if this condition came as a result of PF or the cause (the chicken or the egg), but I've noticed that all arch supports hit my arch at the back, almost on the heel. I feel like there is a lacking in support at the front of the arch. I, along with many of us, have purchased just about every insert available, PowerSteps feel the same also. Do I just have an abnormally short heel or what? I got custom orthotics last Feburary, they hurt all the time but also in this same place. I've just now able to wear them for a few hours a day. Thanks for any input. Brenda

Re: Inserts hitting arch incorrectly.

Scott R on 10/18/01 at 11:58 (063228)

If arch support is too high close to the heel it can hurt by pulling the fascia out from the heel. That isn't good. Something with less arch support or none might be better. You would have to get custom supports and mention that to get it corrected.

Brenda G on 10/18/01 at 12:37 (063230)

Thanks for info, when I wear the custom orthotics, I feel a burning pressure pain right there at the back of arch, I've seen podiatrist twice and he feels like they are correctly made. The best for me so far is Birkenstock and the Tatami with the high arch feels great, it hits perfectly in the center of the arch. Thanks again. Brenda

JudyS on 10/18/01 at 14:53 (063236)

Yes, same for me, Brenda. I have pretty high arches so I tend to deduce that they are relatively 'short' from front to back, therefore most inserts put too much pressure right smack on the sore heel 'spot'. Dr. Z is seriously good at finding the 'spot'. He's a masochist, that's what he is!

MetheeP on 10/18/01 at 16:20 (063242)

Same as me. Almost all inserts I bought OTC have arches too far back. Footbed contour of Birkenstock seems to fit better but still need some adjustment.

Re: Is Dr Z doing ESWT on you?

Brenda G on 10/18/01 at 17:19 (063243)

Is that why he's 'finding' it? I wondered if it would help me, over the past year I have more or less been having arch pain, not heel pain, and as I understand it, ESWT is not indicated for that. Now that the arch is better and my pain is in that heel area, I wonder if ESWT is indicated?.

Re: Same experience here with the Birks

Brenda G. on 10/18/01 at 17:21 (063244)

I find that the Birkenstock also give better support up front in the arch area, which feels like it lacking in others. How do you adjust Birkenstock

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/18/01 at 22:14 (063264)

If it is in the heel and it is where the plantar fascia attaches to the bottom of the heel bone, ESWT is right for you. !!

MetheeP on 10/18/01 at 23:25 (063277)

Yes, I had ESWT done with Dr. Z in my right heel one time on July 21 this year. I believe mine is indicated because I had insertional pain. Exactly three months so far post ESWT and it does help. I did post my progression on the ESWT progression section of this site. I will fly to N.J. again for second treatment which I hope will get me to higher level of healing.

I did find out about Birkenstock at this site almost 2 years ago, the same time that I already had ton of orthotics both custom and OTC which had no use. After using many pairs of Birkenstock I have noticed that those wore for sometimes felt more comfortable than those new pairs of the same style just bought. So I put new one and old one side by side then compare foot bed to see the difference and thought how to make a footbed of new pair look like the old one.

With the soft footbed style which has more give when certain area is compressed, I use sofar or table leg with weight over them to compress over area that is too high or hit my feet at wrong spot. Leave the compression on for a few days, try it on, feel it. Repeat these compression and try till it felt better, it may take 1-2 month, just have to be persistent and patient.

In my case, my problem right foot needs higher arch than my normal left foot. After I got a new pair of Birkenstock I did work on trying to get the arch of footbed of the left side down in the area close to inner side of the heel because the footbed in that area slopes up too fast and too close to the heel. There are some other areas also that I worked on. The final result is not perfect but it is the footware that I can tolerate better than any others.

It is a layman method that need patient and a little thinkering. I hope this answer you some. Tatami contour mold in with my feet very well but I do not use it because it is too hard at the bottom. My arch sore from wearing orthotic with high arch, which may not be noticed if wearing for a short time.

Andrea R. on 10/19/01 at 11:03 (063290)

You break in Birkenstock. Increase you time in them each day.

Birkenstock also makes arch supports. I use them instead of custom orthotics. Make sure you have the right size Birkenstock. If the size is wrong the arch hits in the wrong place. Arizona's and Boston's seem to be the most popular styles for PF suffers.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/19/01 at 21:28 (063323)

Brenda:

You have had your custom orthotics too long for them to still be uncomfortable. The reason to go custom is when pre-fabricated devices are not adequate. Your podiatrist needs to figure out what is wrong with the devices and 'make good' on them. If he does not, consider a second opinion.
Ed

Brenda G on 10/19/01 at 22:07 (063325)

Thanks to all for the responses. I've made an appointment today with new podiatrist. As I said, I've lost faith in the first one, been back too many times. I'll take my orthotics to appointment and see what she thinks. Perhaps she can adjust those or make new ones. They'll be covered by insurance this time as the last ones met my deductable! Thanks again to all. Brenda

Scott R on 10/18/01 at 11:58 (063228)

If arch support is too high close to the heel it can hurt by pulling the fascia out from the heel. That isn't good. Something with less arch support or none might be better. You would have to get custom supports and mention that to get it corrected.

Brenda G on 10/18/01 at 12:37 (063230)

Thanks for info, when I wear the custom orthotics, I feel a burning pressure pain right there at the back of arch, I've seen podiatrist twice and he feels like they are correctly made. The best for me so far is Birkenstock and the Tatami with the high arch feels great, it hits perfectly in the center of the arch. Thanks again. Brenda

JudyS on 10/18/01 at 14:53 (063236)

Yes, same for me, Brenda. I have pretty high arches so I tend to deduce that they are relatively 'short' from front to back, therefore most inserts put too much pressure right smack on the sore heel 'spot'. Dr. Z is seriously good at finding the 'spot'. He's a masochist, that's what he is!

MetheeP on 10/18/01 at 16:20 (063242)

Same as me. Almost all inserts I bought OTC have arches too far back. Footbed contour of Birkenstock seems to fit better but still need some adjustment.

Brenda G on 10/18/01 at 17:19 (063243)

Is that why he's 'finding' it? I wondered if it would help me, over the past year I have more or less been having arch pain, not heel pain, and as I understand it, ESWT is not indicated for that. Now that the arch is better and my pain is in that heel area, I wonder if ESWT is indicated?.

Brenda G. on 10/18/01 at 17:21 (063244)

I find that the Birkenstock also give better support up front in the arch area, which feels like it lacking in others. How do you adjust Birkenstock

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/18/01 at 22:14 (063264)

If it is in the heel and it is where the plantar fascia attaches to the bottom of the heel bone, ESWT is right for you. !!

MetheeP on 10/18/01 at 23:25 (063277)

Yes, I had ESWT done with Dr. Z in my right heel one time on July 21 this year. I believe mine is indicated because I had insertional pain. Exactly three months so far post ESWT and it does help. I did post my progression on the ESWT progression section of this site. I will fly to N.J. again for second treatment which I hope will get me to higher level of healing.

I did find out about Birkenstock at this site almost 2 years ago, the same time that I already had ton of orthotics both custom and OTC which had no use. After using many pairs of Birkenstock I have noticed that those wore for sometimes felt more comfortable than those new pairs of the same style just bought. So I put new one and old one side by side then compare foot bed to see the difference and thought how to make a footbed of new pair look like the old one.

With the soft footbed style which has more give when certain area is compressed, I use sofar or table leg with weight over them to compress over area that is too high or hit my feet at wrong spot. Leave the compression on for a few days, try it on, feel it. Repeat these compression and try till it felt better, it may take 1-2 month, just have to be persistent and patient.

In my case, my problem right foot needs higher arch than my normal left foot. After I got a new pair of Birkenstock I did work on trying to get the arch of footbed of the left side down in the area close to inner side of the heel because the footbed in that area slopes up too fast and too close to the heel. There are some other areas also that I worked on. The final result is not perfect but it is the footware that I can tolerate better than any others.

It is a layman method that need patient and a little thinkering. I hope this answer you some. Tatami contour mold in with my feet very well but I do not use it because it is too hard at the bottom. My arch sore from wearing orthotic with high arch, which may not be noticed if wearing for a short time.

Andrea R. on 10/19/01 at 11:03 (063290)

You break in Birkenstock. Increase you time in them each day.

Birkenstock also makes arch supports. I use them instead of custom orthotics. Make sure you have the right size Birkenstock. If the size is wrong the arch hits in the wrong place. Arizona's and Boston's seem to be the most popular styles for PF suffers.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/19/01 at 21:28 (063323)

Brenda:

You have had your custom orthotics too long for them to still be uncomfortable. The reason to go custom is when pre-fabricated devices are not adequate. Your podiatrist needs to figure out what is wrong with the devices and 'make good' on them. If he does not, consider a second opinion.
Ed

Brenda G on 10/19/01 at 22:07 (063325)

Thanks to all for the responses. I've made an appointment today with new podiatrist. As I said, I've lost faith in the first one, been back too many times. I'll take my orthotics to appointment and see what she thinks. Perhaps she can adjust those or make new ones. They'll be covered by insurance this time as the last ones met my deductable! Thanks again to all. Brenda