Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I've been refered to an orthopeadic surgeon!

Posted by CatherineL on 10/19/01 at 08:36 (063281)

Went for my monthly visit with my phisio and my dr. yesterday. They have no idea what to do with me

This was my post for last week:
I've tried the following in many combinations for 1 1/2 years:

store-bought inserts, heel pads, arch supports
better shoes (Ecco, Birkenstock deerstags, Etonics)
custom orthotics (two different pairs)
naproxen
Vioxx
taping
Phisiotherapy - 3 phisiotherapists
massage therapy
Less time on my feet
anelgesic cream
night splint(haven't been able to wear overnight, due to sleeping problems)
2 drs (my dr. and now a sport & injury dr.)
Ice
Heat
Stretching
NEVER go barefoot
Laser therapy
cortisone

My best releif was orthotics, taping, vioxx, & especially laser. Ufortunatly for me though, none of this has 'cured' me, just helped at the time. Without vioxx, I probably couldn't work or go about life putting up a front that everything is okay.

I have a 'VERY' high arch, small feet (size 5 1/2), and underpronate. I've also gained 40lbs since this started due to decreased activity and medications.

After a suggestion on this board last week, I started ART this week and am hoping over the next few weeks it may help.

But...

My phisiotherapist who I'm told is the best in the area for PF, could only suggest wearing my shoes tighter (kinda to the point of numb toes), aggressive stretching as often as humanly possible, thin cushion ontop of the orthotic, accupunture.

My feet are extremely sensitive and I also have a fear of needles and I've had accuppuncture on my back, neck and head. The first appt. for my back I was near blacking out, but everything was great after that, but my last appt. (about the 10th accupunture session) he must have hit a nerve or something, cuz I passed out within a miniute or two. After the cortisone shot in my foot (worse to me that childbirth or kidney stones), I'm even more nervous about this.

Any suggestions, experience with accupuncture for PF?

Now the dr. has forwarded me to the Orthopeadic surgeon. When he mentioned it, I guess the look on my face told said it all, but he told me that the surgeon would probably not recommend surgery for PF, but may have more suggestions.

My appt is in 2 weeks. Just hoping the ART starts to help by then.

I trust the local PT who does accupunture, more that the new PT. So if you'd all suggest it as a great option, I'll try that as well. (I'll be brave!)

Thanx
Catherine

Re: I've been refered to an orthopeadic surgeon!

Laurie R on 10/19/01 at 09:50 (063282)

Dear Catherine , Frist of all ,I love your name it is so beautiful ... I don't have the answers you are looking for ,bit I can offer you my support. I have had FP for over two years now. I also have RSD and tenosynivitis and a fibroma all in my right foot. So I can sure relate to the pain . This board has helped me more then anything else. We are here for each other and always willing to help anyone who needs it .

You have been through a lot already . I feel for you . Have you been to a Pod yet ? I also heard that ART is very good . I don't think it would hurt to try . The sad thing is ,we are already in a lot of pain and some of the therapies we need to try can cause some more pain . But in the end if they help it is all worth it .

Hang in there and let us know how you are doing. Remember you are not alone we are here for support.

My very best to you ,Laurie R

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/19/01 at 20:51 (063315)

Catherine:

Orthotics for people with high arches can sometimes be a bit trickier to get 'just right.' What has been your experience with the orthotics you now have?

You did not mention whether your foot problem was diagnosed as plantar fasciitis. If so, ESWT remains an option.

What type of 'laser therapy' did you have?

The 'night' splints do not really have to be worn at night although night time works for many people. I have a number of patients who obtain good results from night splints by wearing them intermittently while watching TV, reading, working (if they have desk jobs) and maybe just a couple of hours at night. Some night splints are more comfortable than others--the N'Ice and Stretch mentioned on this site is one of the softer and more comfortable ones.
Ed

Re: Thanx

CatherineL on 10/22/01 at 08:18 (063411)

Laurie,

Thanx for the kind words and support. Having all the other problems with PF complicates everything.

I've only been to my phycician and a dr. at a sports & injury clinic. Also, The drs. haven't check at all for fibro although I've mentioned my sister and mother have it, so I've never been checked, but wonder, since with every injury it always takes me much longer to recover than most. The Massage therapy and ART have been a bit painful, I'm hoping it will help (as we all do).

Ed Davis:

I've tried orthotics that did not support the arch and didn't seem to help much. The new orthotics are quite high and were easy to to get used to once I could get used to having something touching the arch (nothing I've ever felt before). They feel very cumfy, but they haven't improved my problem and I've begun having problems with the outsides of my knees and also my hips. The PT said it's because they're making me walk more on the outside of my feet. To help with the impact pain, he's suggested I wear thin cushions ontop of the orthotics.

Don't know much about the kind of laser except it was a standup unit and I has 7 minutes on each foot. ESWT would be the next option, but is far away. Nearest center is a 2hr plane ride away, and as far as I can tell so far, all expenses are mine alone. The Province and my aditional insurance do not cover this. Once there are no more options, I'll have to bite the bullet and book a flight.

I have the nice splints and can wear them while awake, but the PT said the entire benefit comes from wearing them a couple of hours before getting up in the morning. I'll go back to wearing them in the evening and hope they help.

Thanx

Catherine

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/24/01 at 22:15 (063579)

Catherine:

Be a bit cautious if the orthotics are tilting your feet out too much (that is not really what they should do) as they could cause knee and hip pain as you have noticed. It is hard to say if you have the right orthotics without taking a look. Have you seen a podiatrist yet? What province do you live in?
Ed

Laurie R on 10/19/01 at 09:50 (063282)

Dear Catherine , Frist of all ,I love your name it is so beautiful ... I don't have the answers you are looking for ,bit I can offer you my support. I have had FP for over two years now. I also have RSD and tenosynivitis and a fibroma all in my right foot. So I can sure relate to the pain . This board has helped me more then anything else. We are here for each other and always willing to help anyone who needs it .

You have been through a lot already . I feel for you . Have you been to a Pod yet ? I also heard that ART is very good . I don't think it would hurt to try . The sad thing is ,we are already in a lot of pain and some of the therapies we need to try can cause some more pain . But in the end if they help it is all worth it .

Hang in there and let us know how you are doing. Remember you are not alone we are here for support.

My very best to you ,Laurie R

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/19/01 at 20:51 (063315)

Catherine:

Orthotics for people with high arches can sometimes be a bit trickier to get 'just right.' What has been your experience with the orthotics you now have?

You did not mention whether your foot problem was diagnosed as plantar fasciitis. If so, ESWT remains an option.

What type of 'laser therapy' did you have?

The 'night' splints do not really have to be worn at night although night time works for many people. I have a number of patients who obtain good results from night splints by wearing them intermittently while watching TV, reading, working (if they have desk jobs) and maybe just a couple of hours at night. Some night splints are more comfortable than others--the N'Ice and Stretch mentioned on this site is one of the softer and more comfortable ones.
Ed

CatherineL on 10/22/01 at 08:18 (063411)

Laurie,

Thanx for the kind words and support. Having all the other problems with PF complicates everything.

I've only been to my phycician and a dr. at a sports & injury clinic. Also, The drs. haven't check at all for fibro although I've mentioned my sister and mother have it, so I've never been checked, but wonder, since with every injury it always takes me much longer to recover than most. The Massage therapy and ART have been a bit painful, I'm hoping it will help (as we all do).

Ed Davis:

I've tried orthotics that did not support the arch and didn't seem to help much. The new orthotics are quite high and were easy to to get used to once I could get used to having something touching the arch (nothing I've ever felt before). They feel very cumfy, but they haven't improved my problem and I've begun having problems with the outsides of my knees and also my hips. The PT said it's because they're making me walk more on the outside of my feet. To help with the impact pain, he's suggested I wear thin cushions ontop of the orthotics.

Don't know much about the kind of laser except it was a standup unit and I has 7 minutes on each foot. ESWT would be the next option, but is far away. Nearest center is a 2hr plane ride away, and as far as I can tell so far, all expenses are mine alone. The Province and my aditional insurance do not cover this. Once there are no more options, I'll have to bite the bullet and book a flight.

I have the nice splints and can wear them while awake, but the PT said the entire benefit comes from wearing them a couple of hours before getting up in the morning. I'll go back to wearing them in the evening and hope they help.

Thanx

Catherine

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/24/01 at 22:15 (063579)

Catherine:

Be a bit cautious if the orthotics are tilting your feet out too much (that is not really what they should do) as they could cause knee and hip pain as you have noticed. It is hard to say if you have the right orthotics without taking a look. Have you seen a podiatrist yet? What province do you live in?
Ed