Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Lteral Heel Pain

Posted by John C on 10/19/01 at 10:39 (063287)

Is it possible that a anatomical leg-length discrepancy can cause 'peroneal tendonitis' if I have not been wearing my 3/8 heel lift, while running for several months? I was diagnosed 15 years ago, through a standing x-ray, that my left leg is 3/8' shorter than the right, and have been wearing the heel lift for several years. I have recently been treated for a severe case of 'peroneal tendentious' in my right foot,(longer leg). I have not been wearing my heel lift regularly prior to this.

I also have worn custom orthotics for 15 years.

I was recently told by a chiropractor and a physical therapist, that I no longer have a leg-length discrepancy, so I discontinued the use of the heel lift.

I thought that a anatomical leg length discrepancy is permanent, and a functional leg length discrepancy, is reversible.
I believe that I should continue to wear the heel lift always, if this is true.
What I really like to know is, can the problem with my peroneal tendon be caused because of the leg length discrepancy?

Thank You for any information that you can share with me..

John Cipriani
cipriani@ppg.com
412-434-2842

Re: Not a doctor

Carmen H on 10/24/01 at 16:58 (063561)

John~

I am not a doctor but I will tell you that any change (drastic if you had been doing the same thing for that long) can cause problems.
I would seek a Podiatrist. Chiro and PT are good but they aren't foot experts.

Re: Not a doctor

Carmen H on 10/24/01 at 16:58 (063561)

John~

I am not a doctor but I will tell you that any change (drastic if you had been doing the same thing for that long) can cause problems.
I would seek a Podiatrist. Chiro and PT are good but they aren't foot experts.