Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery Morton's Neuroma

Posted by Nancy C. on 10/19/01 at 11:41 (063291)

I had surgery 2 weeks ago to remove the Neuroma from my foot that was between the 2nd and 3rd toes. I would like to know if it is normal for it to be quite swollen on the top and in the pad of my foot in the surgical area ? How long should it be before I can expect this to go down. Also it is painful to walk on. Thank you.

Re: Surgery Morton's Neuroma

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/20/01 at 11:37 (063342)

Hi

Here is what I tell my pateints when having excision of an neuroma. Pain the first week could be alot. Sometimes you will feel like you have a lump on the bottom of the foot . This is the area where the neuroma was cut out and removed. You go thru the top to get to the bottom of the foot.

There is going to be some swelling and the area is going to be black and blue. Sometimes the toes will be difficult to move.

This could last from a few days. to a few weeks to up to six months. Usually within the first twelve weeks the foot is well on its way to recovering. Now that sharp , burining throbbing stabbing pain that you had before the surgery will start to go away pretty quickly cause the nerve is out of your foot. Last but no least the toe areas could have some numbness due to the cutting out of the nerve. Much better to have some numbness then some serious pain.

So let a tincture of time take care of your surgery !!

cindyp on 10/20/01 at 15:20 (063351)

Just remember this after surgery. YOur foot was opened up and stuff was moved around and cut out. It has been traumatized and will be sore and swollen because it's been all cut up and moved around. Take it easy.

Nancy C on 10/20/01 at 19:30 (063359)

Thanks very much for your response . It really lets me know that I am doing o.k.at this point. The Dr. couldn't get it to freeze completely and the disection was extremely painful. There is frequent tingling on the top around the incision line . I gather this is normal. I had been led to believe that I would be back on my feet in a week. Unfortunately I can't get a shoe near my foot .As you said , I will let a tincture of time take care of it.
Nancy

Josie R on 10/23/01 at 10:48 (063454)

Nancy,
Did you have your surgery done with a local anesetic (mispelled)? When I had mined removed, 8 years ago, I had to go to outpatient day surgery and under go full anesetic. What part of the country do you live?

Nancy M on 10/23/01 at 20:00 (063496)

Josie,

Another Nancy here. I go by Nancy M. I don't post that often, but I try to read the board everyday if not every other day. I've had 3 neuroma's removed. One in June 1998 (left foot) and the other two (one on each foot) July 1999. I've also had EPF surgery on both feet, sinus tarsi syndrome surgery on the left foot and two stress fractures on the left foot. All surgeries were done as out patient and I had anesthesia each time. All this in the last 4 years.

Nancy M in Arizona

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/23/01 at 20:31 (063503)

So are you pain free today.

Nancy M on 10/23/01 at 22:04 (063510)

Still having pain from the sinus tarsi. Had surgery for that August 23rd. Had a shot last Tuesday, felt better on Wednesday, no pain at all on Thursday, pain started up again on Friday but not as bad as it has been. Ortho doctor said no arthritis from the pictures he took during surgery. Going to do x-rays at next appointment (late November) if still hurting. All other surgeries seemed to work - no PF pain, Do have numbness on third toe of left foot from neuromes removed between second and third and third and fourth toes, but I really don't even notice it unless I actually touch the toe.

Nancy M in Arizona

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/20/01 at 11:37 (063342)

Hi

Here is what I tell my pateints when having excision of an neuroma. Pain the first week could be alot. Sometimes you will feel like you have a lump on the bottom of the foot . This is the area where the neuroma was cut out and removed. You go thru the top to get to the bottom of the foot.

There is going to be some swelling and the area is going to be black and blue. Sometimes the toes will be difficult to move.

This could last from a few days. to a few weeks to up to six months. Usually within the first twelve weeks the foot is well on its way to recovering. Now that sharp , burining throbbing stabbing pain that you had before the surgery will start to go away pretty quickly cause the nerve is out of your foot. Last but no least the toe areas could have some numbness due to the cutting out of the nerve. Much better to have some numbness then some serious pain.

So let a tincture of time take care of your surgery !!

cindyp on 10/20/01 at 15:20 (063351)

Just remember this after surgery. YOur foot was opened up and stuff was moved around and cut out. It has been traumatized and will be sore and swollen because it's been all cut up and moved around. Take it easy.

Nancy C on 10/20/01 at 19:30 (063359)

Thanks very much for your response . It really lets me know that I am doing o.k.at this point. The Dr. couldn't get it to freeze completely and the disection was extremely painful. There is frequent tingling on the top around the incision line . I gather this is normal. I had been led to believe that I would be back on my feet in a week. Unfortunately I can't get a shoe near my foot .As you said , I will let a tincture of time take care of it.
Nancy

Josie R on 10/23/01 at 10:48 (063454)

Nancy,
Did you have your surgery done with a local anesetic (mispelled)? When I had mined removed, 8 years ago, I had to go to outpatient day surgery and under go full anesetic. What part of the country do you live?

Nancy M on 10/23/01 at 20:00 (063496)

Josie,

Another Nancy here. I go by Nancy M. I don't post that often, but I try to read the board everyday if not every other day. I've had 3 neuroma's removed. One in June 1998 (left foot) and the other two (one on each foot) July 1999. I've also had EPF surgery on both feet, sinus tarsi syndrome surgery on the left foot and two stress fractures on the left foot. All surgeries were done as out patient and I had anesthesia each time. All this in the last 4 years.

Nancy M in Arizona

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/23/01 at 20:31 (063503)

So are you pain free today.

Nancy M on 10/23/01 at 22:04 (063510)

Still having pain from the sinus tarsi. Had surgery for that August 23rd. Had a shot last Tuesday, felt better on Wednesday, no pain at all on Thursday, pain started up again on Friday but not as bad as it has been. Ortho doctor said no arthritis from the pictures he took during surgery. Going to do x-rays at next appointment (late November) if still hurting. All other surgeries seemed to work - no PF pain, Do have numbness on third toe of left foot from neuromes removed between second and third and third and fourth toes, but I really don't even notice it unless I actually touch the toe.

Nancy M in Arizona