Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

question incision opening 10 days post surgery

Posted by momstv on 10/19/01 at 17:58 (063307)

I have a highly qualified PDM but the problem is in getting thru to him when I'm not in his office. I have about a 5 inch incision due to TTS surgery and since yesterday when I was allowed to have brief showers The incision has been weeping and is infused with a small amount of blood. The steri strips are still on and the ace bandage with sponge is still in place but the weeping still persists. Is this normal or do I need to insist on speaking with my Dr in person? Also he told me to start messaging my incision area to get the nerves to start healing but this time it hurts to much to do it. When he did the nerve decompression on the top of my foot I could do the exercises but not now. Is this something I should address? Please respond if you could.

Re: question incision opening 10 days post surgery

Eddie Davis on 10/19/01 at 20:59 (063317)

Weeping clear fluid or pus? When was the surgery done? Is the incision coming apart? Are you not scheduled for regular follow up appointments?
Ed

wendyn on 10/20/01 at 01:29 (063331)

If you are concerned about weeping from the incision - I would insist on speaking with the doctor or have it checked out at a clinic or (as a last resort) emergency.

momstv on 10/20/01 at 16:04 (063354)

The incision is open about 1/4 inch and weeping blood tinged fluid. No Puss that I can see. Still have not gotten back in the shower with it uncovered tho. I have moderate pain and am keeping it elevated. I talked to the nurse and she advised that if there were no swelling and the steri atrips were still on that it was ok and to keep my second follow up appt on the 30th. My concern is will It heel up by itself or do I need new steri strips? I appreciate your help and concern, looking forward to your future comments.

momstv on 10/20/01 at 16:08 (063355)

I did insist on speaking with him but he was in surgery. I do have regular followups with him. I have no repeat no faith in the emergency room where we live. To many people die waiting. It is 45 miles to town and not a fun trip, hence that is why I am using the board until I can go back to Zimmerman. Tahnk you for your concern and looking forward to future contacts with you. I will keep you posted on my care and my Foot.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/20/01 at 17:17 (063357)

You should at least have the nurse see you. She is a professiona trained to evalute you and detemine if your need wound care and or antibiotic . See them ASAP

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/21/01 at 09:29 (063381)

They can call in an board spectrum antibiotic just in case you do have an infection. Levaquen is a pretty good one for wound draining problem like yours !!!. Talk to them . Express your fear/concerns!!!!!

Eddie Davis on 10/19/01 at 20:59 (063317)

Weeping clear fluid or pus? When was the surgery done? Is the incision coming apart? Are you not scheduled for regular follow up appointments?
Ed

wendyn on 10/20/01 at 01:29 (063331)

If you are concerned about weeping from the incision - I would insist on speaking with the doctor or have it checked out at a clinic or (as a last resort) emergency.

momstv on 10/20/01 at 16:04 (063354)

The incision is open about 1/4 inch and weeping blood tinged fluid. No Puss that I can see. Still have not gotten back in the shower with it uncovered tho. I have moderate pain and am keeping it elevated. I talked to the nurse and she advised that if there were no swelling and the steri atrips were still on that it was ok and to keep my second follow up appt on the 30th. My concern is will It heel up by itself or do I need new steri strips? I appreciate your help and concern, looking forward to your future comments.

momstv on 10/20/01 at 16:08 (063355)

I did insist on speaking with him but he was in surgery. I do have regular followups with him. I have no repeat no faith in the emergency room where we live. To many people die waiting. It is 45 miles to town and not a fun trip, hence that is why I am using the board until I can go back to Zimmerman. Tahnk you for your concern and looking forward to future contacts with you. I will keep you posted on my care and my Foot.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/20/01 at 17:17 (063357)

You should at least have the nurse see you. She is a professiona trained to evalute you and detemine if your need wound care and or antibiotic . See them ASAP

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/21/01 at 09:29 (063381)

They can call in an board spectrum antibiotic just in case you do have an infection. Levaquen is a pretty good one for wound draining problem like yours !!!. Talk to them . Express your fear/concerns!!!!!