Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

my heel spur surgery on 10/19

Posted by Sue D. on 10/20/01 at 11:08 (063339)

Hi there everyone. Just thought I'd let you know that I had my left heel spur removed yesterday. Also, partial release of the fascia. So far so good. I haven't been in much pain-took my last pain pill, percocet, last night at 9pm. I'm non weight bearing for the first week, will see my doctor next Thursday and after that I should be able to do what I feel like doing.

Now for some history. I've been diagnosed with heel spurs for over three years now. Saw my pod Dr. originally for the right one which was bothering me most. What worked for me the best was getting my orthotics. But eventually, the left spur which was 3/8' long got to be really painful at times and very limiting to my lifestyle. I have horses and garden a lot so I spend a lot of my time outside. I'm overweight so I need to get as much exercise as I can but, of course, I'm not fond of exercise machines. I prefer to do my exercising more naturally. However, when I've recovered I'm going to get a recumbent exercise bike. As winter approaches in NW Washington the weather can get nasty so indoor exercising is more appealing.

I'm hoping this surgery will allow me to stall having to have surgery done on my right heel. Walking decently on my left should help my right foot and my right knee which was getting really stressed. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress. And to Amy P. who had surgery on the same day as me, I hope you are doing equally well.

Good luck to everyone out there. This is a great website as you all well know...Sue D.

Re: How are you doing??

Paula G. on 10/23/01 at 05:05 (063446)

Hi Sue. How are you doing today? I had my surgery, same thing, done on 9/14. Hang in there and just remember, that everyone heals at their own pace. Every time I go to the doctor, I feel I should be doing more.....just do what you can when you can.
I think after about 5 weeks one gets into the okay, let's get on with this and heal mode. You want to be healed and well. Time....I think you will know early on if the surgery is somewhat successful. I know I have pain, but it is from the surgery pain, not heel spur PF pain. Is your foot numb? Wierd feeling. My surgeon found a nerve was being compressed by my heel spur I guess. SOmething like that anyway.
Hope you are doing good. Hang in there.

Sue D on 10/23/01 at 13:37 (063461)

Hi Paula and everyone. Today I am five days post surgery and doing fine. There's been very little pain as I've been trying to be good and stay off my foot. I'm sure there will be more pain once I start using it more which I hope will be on Thursday after I see my doctor. I'm very tired of having to do everything one legged. But having my mom's wheeled walker has been a lifesaver as I can put my bad leg on it and wheel around and have both hands free and can sit on it when tired. I learned about the walker from this web site. I and crutches are not the best of friends although I do daily practice with them.

Yesterday was a good day in that I took my first shower. I don't think I was too stinkiy but my hair was getting a punk rock look. I skipped the shower today as I'm trying to spare my right knee which is sore and more swollen today. But today while I'm sitting I'm starting to put more pressure on my left foot; not too much, just enough so I feel it a bit and can be stretching it a little. My foot isn't numb but it does feel different. And I get little nerve singings in my left ankle and other different places. I figure this must be nerves awakening/healing after the surgery. All things considered, I think I'm am doing fine. What pain I feel is related to the surgery. I think it is still too early to know that the surgery was successful for sure but I'm think it was. My doctor says he has a 99% success rate and he wasn't being boastful-had to drag it out of him. And from other Drs. I learned that he has a very good reputation. So I'm feeling very positive. Thursday I'll find out what he thinks and I'll let everyone know...Sue

Paula G. on 10/24/01 at 13:17 (063543)

Sounds like you are a success. Just go slow! Remember you have had this for 3 years. A couple months will not be enough to heal..Take care of that foot so it will take care of you, Sue.
I say it sounds like a success because your pain is different now isn't it? Come on....that PF pain when you just want to cut your foot off it hurts so bad? I found my pain was different and the PF pain was gone...

Re: my heel spur surgery on 10/19

Julie on 11/01/01 at 15:38 (063947)

I have not had the surgery, I've been seeing DR.'s off and on for quite a while now, almost a year. My insurance turned down the ortho's and I'll pay for them if necessary. They also said they'd pay for the surgery. Is it worth it? I'm afraid that even with the orthotics my foot will still fester up when I'm not in shoes. I too have horses and am very active and need to know others opinions as to whether they think this would be a good move. I'm not online much so if you would respond to my email at julie@padtinc.com I'd appreciate it.

Linda c. on 11/10/01 at 08:59 (064590)

Hello Julie, I am new to this board, but i am not new to heel pain. I am very physically active,and have had heel pain since i was 15. I am now 39, and it has not gotten any better. I have had orthotics for years,and sometimes i swear they feel worse with the orthotics. My heel pain now is unbearable, and i am seeing a physical therapist twice a week going on 10 weeks now. My insurance company won't pay for surgery until i have tried all other alternatives. I had the facia release done a few years ago, and it felt good for about a year. My next step is spur removal. I just want the cronic pain to stop! I am sick of it now. I go to the doctor next Saturday to find out when I will be having surgery.
I hate dealing with insurance companies. This is considered a pre-existing condition, so i am hoping i don't have to pay for it.

Paula G. on 10/23/01 at 05:05 (063446)

Hi Sue. How are you doing today? I had my surgery, same thing, done on 9/14. Hang in there and just remember, that everyone heals at their own pace. Every time I go to the doctor, I feel I should be doing more.....just do what you can when you can.
I think after about 5 weeks one gets into the okay, let's get on with this and heal mode. You want to be healed and well. Time....I think you will know early on if the surgery is somewhat successful. I know I have pain, but it is from the surgery pain, not heel spur PF pain. Is your foot numb? Wierd feeling. My surgeon found a nerve was being compressed by my heel spur I guess. SOmething like that anyway.
Hope you are doing good. Hang in there.

Sue D on 10/23/01 at 13:37 (063461)

Hi Paula and everyone. Today I am five days post surgery and doing fine. There's been very little pain as I've been trying to be good and stay off my foot. I'm sure there will be more pain once I start using it more which I hope will be on Thursday after I see my doctor. I'm very tired of having to do everything one legged. But having my mom's wheeled walker has been a lifesaver as I can put my bad leg on it and wheel around and have both hands free and can sit on it when tired. I learned about the walker from this web site. I and crutches are not the best of friends although I do daily practice with them.

Yesterday was a good day in that I took my first shower. I don't think I was too stinkiy but my hair was getting a punk rock look. I skipped the shower today as I'm trying to spare my right knee which is sore and more swollen today. But today while I'm sitting I'm starting to put more pressure on my left foot; not too much, just enough so I feel it a bit and can be stretching it a little. My foot isn't numb but it does feel different. And I get little nerve singings in my left ankle and other different places. I figure this must be nerves awakening/healing after the surgery. All things considered, I think I'm am doing fine. What pain I feel is related to the surgery. I think it is still too early to know that the surgery was successful for sure but I'm think it was. My doctor says he has a 99% success rate and he wasn't being boastful-had to drag it out of him. And from other Drs. I learned that he has a very good reputation. So I'm feeling very positive. Thursday I'll find out what he thinks and I'll let everyone know...Sue

Paula G. on 10/24/01 at 13:17 (063543)

Sounds like you are a success. Just go slow! Remember you have had this for 3 years. A couple months will not be enough to heal..Take care of that foot so it will take care of you, Sue.
I say it sounds like a success because your pain is different now isn't it? Come on....that PF pain when you just want to cut your foot off it hurts so bad? I found my pain was different and the PF pain was gone...

Julie on 11/01/01 at 15:38 (063947)

I have not had the surgery, I've been seeing DR.'s off and on for quite a while now, almost a year. My insurance turned down the ortho's and I'll pay for them if necessary. They also said they'd pay for the surgery. Is it worth it? I'm afraid that even with the orthotics my foot will still fester up when I'm not in shoes. I too have horses and am very active and need to know others opinions as to whether they think this would be a good move. I'm not online much so if you would respond to my email at julie@padtinc.com I'd appreciate it.

Linda c. on 11/10/01 at 08:59 (064590)

Hello Julie, I am new to this board, but i am not new to heel pain. I am very physically active,and have had heel pain since i was 15. I am now 39, and it has not gotten any better. I have had orthotics for years,and sometimes i swear they feel worse with the orthotics. My heel pain now is unbearable, and i am seeing a physical therapist twice a week going on 10 weeks now. My insurance company won't pay for surgery until i have tried all other alternatives. I had the facia release done a few years ago, and it felt good for about a year. My next step is spur removal. I just want the cronic pain to stop! I am sick of it now. I go to the doctor next Saturday to find out when I will be having surgery.
I hate dealing with insurance companies. This is considered a pre-existing condition, so i am hoping i don't have to pay for it.