Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Oh Lord it's hard to be humble.....NOT!!!!!

Posted by Tam M on 10/21/01 at 07:14 (063373)

Just wanted to share how PF has brought a little humility to my life, and the chance to laugh at myself. I work in a Merle Norman cosmetic studio, so I am standing all day when I work. Friday I ran out of athletic tape for my feet (and without taping I may as well not even attempt to stand 5 minutes let alone 6 hrs!), anyhow, before my shift started I went to Walmart to get some tape and wrap my feet for work that night. Well, no tape, they were sold out, so being completely lost I wandered around thinking about what I could do, and soon found myself in the hardware department, and what should I rest my eyes upon but a bright beautiful roll of Duck Tape! I think you know the rest of the story. There I stood at Merle Norman, advising ladies of the latest beauty techniques and skin care solutions, while I had my toes curled up in shiny gray tape. I'm sure all of you have your silly stories to share...heaven forbid I should start taking myself too seriously, eh?!!!

Re: Oh Lord it's hard to be humble.....NOT!!!!!

wendyn on 10/21/01 at 08:06 (063376)

Tam - I completly agree that if nothing else - this experience has taught me humility and it has kept vanity in check. I spent several hours at the 'hard to fit' shoe store yesterday trying to find a pair of dress shoes. My first pair in 3 years (all other attempts have turned out badly). I came away with a pair of 'granny' shoes - and I even have my doubts about them.

I do have many funny stories I'd like to share. But it's off to work for me after my oatmeal - so it will have to be another time!

Suzanne D on 10/21/01 at 21:25 (063398)

I understand what you are saying! Others have referred to my Birkenstock sandals as 'Bible drama shoes', etc. I have decided to have a sense of humor about it, too, wearing funny socks with the sandals now that it is cool. My first graders like them! Now if everyone else were as accepting!

We might as well smile about it, right? :-) I wish you the best...

Necee on 10/25/01 at 00:31 (063585)

Just to add my two cents worth.....I've been wearing Birkenstock for about 3 months now, everyone is very kind when it comes to giving there opinion on the style of my shoes, well the other day someone called them 'Gumby shoes'. That takes the cake!!! I'm sure most of you know the cartoon Gumby. Need I say more!!
Happy trails,
Necee

wendyn on 10/21/01 at 08:06 (063376)

Tam - I completly agree that if nothing else - this experience has taught me humility and it has kept vanity in check. I spent several hours at the 'hard to fit' shoe store yesterday trying to find a pair of dress shoes. My first pair in 3 years (all other attempts have turned out badly). I came away with a pair of 'granny' shoes - and I even have my doubts about them.

I do have many funny stories I'd like to share. But it's off to work for me after my oatmeal - so it will have to be another time!

Suzanne D on 10/21/01 at 21:25 (063398)

I understand what you are saying! Others have referred to my Birkenstock sandals as 'Bible drama shoes', etc. I have decided to have a sense of humor about it, too, wearing funny socks with the sandals now that it is cool. My first graders like them! Now if everyone else were as accepting!

We might as well smile about it, right? :-) I wish you the best...

Necee on 10/25/01 at 00:31 (063585)

Just to add my two cents worth.....I've been wearing Birkenstock for about 3 months now, everyone is very kind when it comes to giving there opinion on the style of my shoes, well the other day someone called them 'Gumby shoes'. That takes the cake!!! I'm sure most of you know the cartoon Gumby. Need I say more!!
Happy trails,
Necee