Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Trying dress shoes just one more time

Posted by wendyn on 10/21/01 at 22:23 (063402)

I did buy some dress shoes at a 'Hard to Fit' specialty store. They are 'granny' looking shoes...and it depressed me to see all the cute pumps that I will never wear again. (sigh) (self-pity).

They have a wide toe box for my bunions, and they're a size 37 rather than 36 (euro) in order to accomodate my orthotics. They have a very small heel on them - and a wedge under the arch so basically a solid sole construction. I tried bending them and they didn't give much at all - so I'm hoping that they are solid enough. They appear wide enough that they souldn't allow much pronation - and I shouldn't run the risk of rolling over on my ankle.

I will be equipped at work tomorrow with my regular Birkenstock my custom Birkenstock and my sneakers. I can change shoes as required to accomodate whatever happens with my feet. A fashion statement...I am not. Vogue will never take my picture unless it's one of those fashion 'DON'T's'

I just want to be able to wear a normal pair of shoes with a skirt and not look like a complete dufas. It's been well over 2 years since I've worn anything other than sneakers or Birkenstock. I'm still in that self pity thing - can you tell?

My feet have still not recovered from the bowling and teaching. I think that the little walk around the bowling alley without my orthotics in those crummy shoes was a VERY BAD idea. Stupid stupid stupid.

If these shoes don't work out I'm going to seriously investigate having some custom made.

Re: Trying dress shoes just one more time

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/22/01 at 17:41 (063434)

Nordstrom department store carries a line of dress shoes which are deeper than regular dress shoes, are remarkably well constructed and designed to take orthotics: Munro. They really look very nice.
Ed

wendyn on 10/22/01 at 21:12 (063438)

Thank you Dr Ed - but I don't think we have Norstroms here - I live in Canada. Actually I made it through my day with my feet in reasonably good shape. I also noticed that everyone seems to wear 'Granny' shoes - apparently these are the in thing. It's been a long time since I looked at real shoes. Some of our more fashionable women at work commented on my shoes - maybe they were just being nice. Either way - made me feel better!

Suzanne D on 10/23/01 at 15:35 (063471)

I wish you luck, Wendy, and hope your new shoes continue to do well for you! Like you, I keep looking at the pumps and wishing... But my college age daughter bought some Mary Janes and says these are considered really 'cute' now. (I never really know what is in style at any given time!) I have ordered some Anapolis Birkenstock (which look like Mary Janes) and hope they fit and work for me. Perhaps I can wear them with some dresses which are just hanging in my closet while I stick mostly with pants and my Arizona and Boston shoes.

It's a challenge, isn't it?! :-)

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/22/01 at 17:41 (063434)

Nordstrom department store carries a line of dress shoes which are deeper than regular dress shoes, are remarkably well constructed and designed to take orthotics: Munro. They really look very nice.
Ed

wendyn on 10/22/01 at 21:12 (063438)

Thank you Dr Ed - but I don't think we have Norstroms here - I live in Canada. Actually I made it through my day with my feet in reasonably good shape. I also noticed that everyone seems to wear 'Granny' shoes - apparently these are the in thing. It's been a long time since I looked at real shoes. Some of our more fashionable women at work commented on my shoes - maybe they were just being nice. Either way - made me feel better!

Suzanne D on 10/23/01 at 15:35 (063471)

I wish you luck, Wendy, and hope your new shoes continue to do well for you! Like you, I keep looking at the pumps and wishing... But my college age daughter bought some Mary Janes and says these are considered really 'cute' now. (I never really know what is in style at any given time!) I have ordered some Anapolis Birkenstock (which look like Mary Janes) and hope they fit and work for me. Perhaps I can wear them with some dresses which are just hanging in my closet while I stick mostly with pants and my Arizona and Boston shoes.

It's a challenge, isn't it?! :-)