Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Back Heel Pain/Archilles Tendon

Posted by Linde on 10/21/01 at 23:49 (063403)

Can ESWT help this problem?I have a huge zig-zag bonegrowth on the back of my heel and the Achilles Tendon is very thight.This is going on for 2 1/2 years.Only surgery was sugested.when I get a cortison shot for my knees it will also efect my heel that means I almost have no pain.So there has to be something out there that will help.Will ESWT make my heelspur (calcium deposit)crush away,just like a kidney stone? I was told that the calcium deposit has to be shaved away and recuparation will be 3 mos.

Re: Back Heel Pain/Archilles Tendon

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/22/01 at 15:23 (063425)

ESWT may help with the pain but it will not remove the bone growth in back of the heel. There are things that need to be done such as stretching of the achilles, PT, using orthotics to control any excess rearfoot motion. night splints are often helpful for the stretching.
Ed

Re: Back Heel Pain/Archilles Tendon

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/22/01 at 15:23 (063425)

ESWT may help with the pain but it will not remove the bone growth in back of the heel. There are things that need to be done such as stretching of the achilles, PT, using orthotics to control any excess rearfoot motion. night splints are often helpful for the stretching.
Ed